News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Hi Mustapha (et al)--

I want to thank you for creating this wonderful thread. I started nosing around in the photo threads in preparation for a Toastmasters speech I did this morning on the Empress Hotel fire, and instead got completely immersed in historic Toronto (a topic I've long been interested in, since the days I volunteered at Ft. York). Incidentally, I saw quite a few photos of the Empress in many of the Yonge Street shots, especially in its life as the Edison Hotel--different shots than the ones everyone seems to be publishing.

I'm only to page 67, and looking forward to many more entertaining hours. I'm really enjoying seeing what preceded the current Eaton Centre. My only regret is that I didn't find this thread last week when it was slow at work!

Hello FAC33, Welcome.

Your comment about the old Eatons store reminds me that there is nothing online of the interior of the Queen street store. There are quite a few pictures of the College street store interior. If you walk around College Park now you can get at least a diminished sense of what was there...

January 7 addition.

Inspired by Toronto Macedonian's Then and Nows of Woodbridge; let's do Weston for a few days. Anybody here from there?

Then. Picture of Hurricane Hazel damage. Lawrence avenue west bridge over the Humber looking east from the west side of the bridge. So, this would probably be the day after or a few days after October 16, 1954.

f0124_fl0008_id0011.jpg

Now. December 2010.

CSC_0085.jpg

Your comment about the old Eatons store reminds me that there is nothing online of the interior of the Queen street store.

There are a few on the Ontario Archives site (lots of store window displays):

The Georgian Room 1939:

GeorgianRoom1939.jpg

georgianroom2.jpg

Women's wear 1943:

eaton1943.jpg

Buying food with ration coupons at Eaton's 1943:

Buying_food_at_Eatons_using_ration_coupons.jpg

Last edited:
This crowd shot of the "betting enclosures" at the Dufferin Race Track in 1910 really appeals to me.
So much vibrant activity! Apparently, all men too!
Do you suppose anyone could get a photograph of the betting booths at a Canadian track today - without being arrested?

dufferinbettingenclosuresc1910.jpg

Many, Many Details of the Eaton Business - available in this book

This is interesting:

http://www.archive.org/details/goldenjubilee18600teatuoft

Golden jubilee, 1869-1919 : a book to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the T. Eaton Co. Limited

There are some lovely sketches and photos in this book introduced to us by wwwebster - thanks for the tip!
I had never before heard of the Eaton facility on Coxwell (see thumbnails).

Attachments

• Eaton Coxwell.jpg
    Eaton Coxwell.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 425
  • Eaton Trinity.jpg
    Eaton Trinity.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 421
There are a few on the Ontario Archives site (lots of store window displays):

Women's wear 1943:

eaton1943.jpg

Buying food with ration coupons at Eaton's 1943:

Buying_food_at_Eatons_using_ration_coupons.jpg

The top picture looks like the main floor.

The bottom picture looks like it was taken in the "Annex" store, where the Bell Canada building is now, at the NE corner of Bay and Albert.

Thanks thecharioteer. I spent some time going over the pictures at your link. I entered "Eatons" into the search field. A nice resource.

I miss the Toyland that was in the old Queen street store. And the Christmas train that took you for a spin...

This crowd shot of the "betting enclosures" at the Dufferin Race Track in 1910 really appeals to me.
So much vibrant activity! Apparently, all men too!
Do you suppose anyone could get a photograph of the betting booths at a Canadian track today - without being arrested?

dufferinbettingenclosuresc1910.jpg

Not a single man without a hat, amazing.

January 8 addition.

Then. Weston Road and Lawrence looking N. "1963" according to the Toronto Archives' sometimes iffy estimations of date.

f1257_s1057_it0033.jpg

Now. December 2010.

CSC_0087.jpg

There are some lovely sketches and photos in this book introduced to us by wwwebster - thanks for the tip!
I had never before heard of the Eaton facility on Coxwell (see thumbnails).

Half of the Eaton facility still exist on Coxwell and have been turned into low income housing for the Frontiers Foundation.

www.frontiersfoundation.ca/amik

Last edited:
The top picture looks like the main floor.

The bottom picture looks like it was taken in the "Annex" store, where the Bell Canada building is now, at the NE corner of Bay and Albert.

Thanks thecharioteer. I spent some time going over the pictures at your link. I entered "Eatons" into the search field. A nice resource.

I miss the Toyland that was in the old Queen street store. And the Christmas train that took you for a spin...

You're welcome! I also like the series of stereoscopes on the Ontario Archives site, both of the inside and outside of the Eaton factories:

eaton1910.jpg

I0012360-1.jpg

I0012361-1.jpg

I0012351.jpg

I0012357-1.jpg

I0012356.jpg

1905-7:

I0011885.jpg

I0011884.jpg

I0011883.jpg

1920's:

Eatonstoronto1920MainStore.jpg