News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I think the closest to it (besides St. James Cathedral and University College) would be the St. Lawrence Hall

Let's not forget our beautiful "Flatiron" Building
See attached:

Or Osgoode hall.

Attachments

• Flatiron 1993.jpg
    Flatiron 1993.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 285
Great pair. The Bay looks well enough but alas the skyline of Confederation Life has been all but obliterated. Perhaps a generous benefactor will emerge one day and have it restored to its former glory.

Last edited:
No photo gallery of the evolution of the south west corner of Yonge and Adelaide would be complete without a picture of the Canada Trust building as it was built - before the overhang was eliminated ( about 15 years ago? ). Think one was posted somewhere earlier on this thread.

As a sidebar to discussions of the SW corner or Adelaide and Yonge, it's interesting to compare the old Goad Atlas maps to today's, which illustrate the impact of land assembly on built-form (or the other way around!). This block, which once contained both the Manning Arcade and the Grand Opera, has very little left of its 19C past (except for the ghost of the Grand Opera Lane):

1884:
goad84_edited.jpg
Today:
adelaideblock.jpg

/QUOTE]

I'm thinking this facade (below) now hosting a DACKS shoe store on Yonge is one of only two survivors left on the Yonge>Adelaide>King>Bay block in your old map. The other being the old 'Fairweathers' - now a Moores menswear store (not shown in either picture).

August 5 addition.

Yonge looking NW towards Adelaide.

fo0124_f0124_fl0001_id0132.jpg

DSCF0974.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking this facade (below) now hosting a DACKS shoe store on Yonge is one of only two survivors left on the Yonge>Adelaide>King>Bay block in your old map. The other being the old 'Fairweathers' - now a Moores menswear store (not shown in either picture).

August 5 addition.

Yonge looking NW towards Adelaide.

fo0124_f0124_fl0001_id0132.jpg

DSCF0974.jpg
[/QUOTE]

In the 1861 census Edward Dack appeared as a bootmaker aged 42 with his business at 73 King Street West. (I think there was a photgraph that included the signage in Then and Now about a month ago.)

150 years is a long time for a store to be in business. I wonder how many families and outside businesses have owned it?

Will their new HIPSTER DACK logo do the job, I wonder? Their Brookfield store closed a few months ago, and I think the one in the Richmond Adelaide Centre is history. I bought a pair of their Bison leather shoes in the early '80s and wore them forever; they were as tough as cast iron and almost as heavy.

I find it interesting how much the Scotia bank logo has changed. I barely recognized it in that "then" photo of Yonge looking NW towards Adelaide.

Ps, big fan of this thread Mustapha.

remnants of Toronto at the Guild

I hope all regulars to this thread are aware of the beautiful remnants (artifacts) of old Toronto artichecture that have been presrved on the grounds of the Guild Inn, Scarborough.
I'm particularly fond of the remains of the Temple Building on which the name is still visible.
see attachments:

Attachments

• Guild1.jpg
    Guild1.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 275
  • Guild2.jpg
    Guild2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 272
  • Guild3.jpg
    Guild3.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 250
  • Guild4.jpg
    Guild4.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 265
  • Guild5.jpg
    Guild5.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 271
  • Guild6.jpg
    Guild6.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 283
  • Guild7.jpg
    Guild7.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 260
  • Guild8.jpg
    Guild8.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 256
  • Guild9.jpg
    Guild9.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 263
I find it interesting how much the Scotia bank logo has changed. I barely recognized it in that "then" photo of Yonge looking NW towards Adelaide.

Ps, big fan of this thread Mustapha.

Thanks!

Yes, the old corporate logos... when I see some of them, I realize I had forgotten they ever existed.

August 6 addition.

Jarvis looking N towards Front.

The various cooked items inside the St. Lawrence Market - sausages on a bun, fish 'n chips, baked goods, veal sandwiches - are wonderful aren't they? The fish and chip and cherry danish lunch I had - guessing about 1000 calories - took an hour to counteract on the Goodlife elliptical machine. Then I was hungry again.:)

ser376_fl0004_s0376_fl0004_it0093.jpg

DSCF0930.jpg

Last edited:

Back