News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I believe the correct year is 1913. That image is part of series 372, subseries 58. Items 223 through 230 are all dated August 21, 1913. The year is a little easier to read on the preceding image, # 229:

https://gencat4.eloquent-systems.co...esource/ser372/ss0058/s0372_ss0058_it0229.jpg

13, not 18, thank you wwwebster. I should have been in less of a rush and corraborated with the "date of creation of record".

thecharioteer, Goldie, here's one more:

f1257_s1057_it4731.jpg

❤ Any lasses here? That's rather high above the knee isn't it? :)

October 27 addition.

Then. Toronto Carpet Company, SW corner King and Fraser. 1920.

torontocarpetcokingandfraser1920.jpg

Now. August 2010. Sorry, no wholesale demolition for today.

DSC_0501.jpg

Let's do the time warp again ♫ - tommorrow, ok?

Attachments

• Spadina.jpg
    Spadina.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 354
  • city hall.jpg
    city hall.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 316
"Then. Toronto Carpet Company, SW corner King and Fraser. 1920." QUOTE Mustapha.

Take note that the original double hung windows remain in place!

Regards,
J T

I don't see any of them open. Perhaps they're reproductions? Just sayin'. :) Most climate controlled buildings won't let you open windows.

Very nice. If only his mom had some interior photos. I'd personally be interested in seeing the changes.

Goldie, thank you for making the trip to Whitby to take that picture. I hope you combined it with other errands; what with the price of gas being what it is and all.

bkeith, I just want to amplify your point: folks, please carry a small camera with you in purse, pocket or laptop bag to document your life and surroundings. These things change and it's priceless to have these images to make conversation over (even if only with oneself) in the years to come. These images will also be a source of curiosity or more hopefully, history (or ridicule, so be careful :) ) to your descendants. The small Sony or Casio cameras are thin and light as a wisp and I will get one when my bulky old camera breaks. Finally, remember that one thumbdrive backup is as good as none, and two backups are as good as only one.

October 28 addition.

Then. Harbord street from St. George. June 13, 1944.

s0372_ss0058_it1656.jpg

Now. June 2010.

DSC_0205.jpg

Goldie, thank you for making the trip to Whitby to take that picture. I hope you combined it with other errands; what with the price of gas being what it is and all.

bkeith, I just want to amplify your point: folks, please carry a small camera with you in purse, pocket or laptop bag to document your life and surroundings. These things change and it's priceless to have these images to make conversation over (even if only with oneself) in the years to come. These images will also be a source of curiosity or more hopefully, history (or ridicule, so be careful :) ) to your descendants. The small Sony or Casio cameras are thin and light as a wisp and I will get one when my bulky old camera breaks. Finally, remember that one thumbdrive backup is as good as none, and two backups are as good as only one.

Mustapha, excellent advice regarding the photo-recording of our memories.
However, I want to emphasize that any digital photos that we wish to make available to future generations should be printed on paper - don't leave our irreplacable images in [only] digital files.
They may never be seen again as the technology continuse to make contemporary storage obsolete! Anyone remember 'floppy disks'? ---- or 8-track tapes?
Paper prints are proven to be lasting documents - our City of Toronto Archive is proof of that!

P.S. Regarding the Whitby photo - I was on my way to a birthday party in Oshawa.

Not certain if these views are of the identical area - I could find no identifying landmarks today.

TNKingstonRdWfromVictoriaPark1922.jpg

Re: The TORONTO CARPET CO. KING + FRASER.

"I don't see any of them open. Perhaps they're reproductions?" QUOTE Mustapha.

The buildings, + there are many, including the lower 3/4 of the more westerly block has had a minimal amout of owners since their erection. No, I'm not writing of the company

Mamouth Erection - a scaffolding company, LOL, my comments refer to Toronto Carpet Co started by a Mr Hayes + ultimatley operated by his two sons. Included in the above is the

Barrymore Cloth Co, along with its property at Atlantic/Hanna/King, named after the two sons - Barry B Hayes, + his brother whose middle name was Barry.

TYME PASSES.

Enter, a man by the name of Schwartz, (during the 90's ?) purchased the property, not a "run down hulk", but a just vacated manufacturing concern, converted the main block to

loft office space very similar to what is now, + after a tyme went belly-up.

TYME PASSES.

Enter the morgage holder - an insurance company with it's property management company - "Pelican". (Great name for the management co; think Japanese fishermen + their mode

of operation.) The $19,000,000.00 default was ultimatly sold to to the present owners Bobby, Mike + company, for $3,500,000.00, mid '90!

Yes, the windors are over 100 years old!

As an additional aside, Bobby + I, being on the roof of the "Magic Castle", one afternoon, I queried him as to the ironwork atop the main carpet factory building. He told me that it

was the main roof support for the top floor to accomodate the weaving machinery that required total free space without interior columns. There is a pic, Toronto Archives web page,

shewing (old English spelling don't you know.) of this very space with it's machinery in place.

(LOL)

Regards,
J T

Okay, okay. :)

Mustapha, excellent advice regarding the photo-recording of our memories.
However, I want to emphasize that any digital photos that we wish to make available to future generations should be printed on paper - don't leave our irreplacable images in [only] digital files.
They may never be seen again as the technology continuse to make contemporary storage obsolete! Anyone remember 'floppy disks'? ---- or 8-track tapes?
Paper prints are proven to be lasting documents - our City of Toronto Archive is proof of that!

P.S. Regarding the Whitby photo - I was on my way to a birthday party in Oshawa.

Yes, good advice Goldie. I have a cheap SD card in the back of each photo album. In the old days, I would put the negatives in the back of the album.

October 29 addition.

Then. Harbord, Hoskins and St. George street. November 13, 1913.

s0372_ss0058_it0258.jpg

Now. June 2010.

DSC_0202-1.jpg

October 30 2010 addition. Today with bonus fashion advice for men.

Let's go shopping 1919 style.

Then. June 17, 1919. 990 Queen West [and neighbours].

From left to right:

#992 "[?]son and Sons, Outfitters and Custom Tailors". The salesman looks smart in his high starched collar. Thanks goodness the small collar trend for mens shirts of two years ago died quickly. The collars were about one inch in height. Some of these forlorn shirts can be found at Winners. Nothing makes a man look more handsome than a taller collar. Not "disco shirt" tall mind you but some Italian makers make a taller than North American collar. They hide a fat neck or an old neck very well. They make a shorter man appear taller. You young men will have more young women look at you. Or older women, whatever. For ready made try Camicie at 3194 Yonge. Ask for Marco. If you are slim ask to see the darted shirts. You will look like Mr. Shue on "Glee". Try-ons are allowed; shower at home and wear a clean t-shirt before you go. For custom made see Don Lee at Trend Custom Tailors on Sherbourne. On a budget?: go to Camicie and buy just two. Then stop buying stuff every time the Best Buy flyer shows up. Wear them for a couple or more years - the price per wear will be less than the $60 each that Sears is now asking for Chinese shirts that most of us buy an armful of every couple of years.

#990 "W.A. McCullough, Hats". I can't wear them - costumey... although I might try a Greek fisherman's cap this winter. I think I'm finally old enough to sport one without irony/ridicule.

#988? The hanging sign partly reads "United ... Branch". There are also barber poles. The awning has the word "cigar" on it. So you could have a cigar here and get a haircut. If this was a United Cigar Stores "branch"; remember that we've seen quite a few of these stores in the street scenes of vintage Toronto in Urban Toronto threads. United Cigar Stores were still extant up until 1985 or so - I'm guessing? Even in 1985 it was a "throwback" name. The newstand at Eglinton subway station was a United Cigar location - among many in the TTC system. HDS Retail owns them now (Great Canadian News). The name could be nicely revived, no? Hipsters would flock there to buy and give each other gifts - boxed in "United Cigar Stores" boxes. :) They might even give each other cigars. They're already wearing Fedoras, right?, so it's not really much of a Lifestyle stretch? It would be Cool to have them back. Any other business names that you miss? Honey Dew? Radio Shack? ShopRite? Consumers Distributing? Uuuhhhh... Eatons? Feel free to chime in [cue check wristwatch, tap feet]. :)

#986 "Sloan's bakery".

#984 "W Keller". Quite an impressive store. It seems to be more recent than it's neighbours. Built to specification perhaps? Or a facade job?

s0372_ss0058_it0811.jpg

Now. June 2010. Queen street is always nice for a stroll. A walk from Roncy and Queen to Yonge lets you see the Toronto you will never tire of. Good cardio too. Take a companion - a spouse, friend or offspring. If an offspring; tell them the Stumbles you've had in Life, never the Regrets.

We'll see a few more more Queen pictures over the next few days...

DSC_0485.jpg

Back