News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Thank you for posting those magical postcards from my postcard collection. The CNE was a dreamy place to go and at Christmas it looked so elegant, inviting & beautiful. As a kid, I can remember going to "Christmas Fairyland" with my Brownie Troop and meeting Uncle Bobby. I don't know how many years they hosted Christmas Fairyland, but I do remember going there and being so mesmerized by the coloured lights & the enchanment of the atmosphere.

On the CNE Archives Facebbok page, I posted 10 slides that were my taken my late father. You can see very clear images of the Alpine Way, the Grandstand, & the lovely CNE grounds. They were taken in 1968 & show a very different Toronto skyline (pre glassing & condo-ization!). It was my pleasure to donate the slides to the CNE archives so that other people will be albe to bask in their own memories of The Grand Old Lady.

Thank you so much Mustapha who is without a doubt, one of Urban Toronto's VIP's.

Peace & blessings to one and all.

Your Urban Toronto friend in training,

ValsHere

Thank you for posting those magical postcards from my postcard collection. The CNE was a dreamy place to go and at Christmas it looked so elegant, inviting & beautiful. As a kid, I can remember going to "Christmas Fairyland" with my Brownie Troop and meeting Uncle Bobby. I don't know how many years they hosted Christmas Fairyland, but I do remember going there and being so mesmerized by the coloured lights & the enchanment of the atmosphere.

On the CNE Archives Facebbok page, I posted 10 slides that were my taken my late father. You can see very clear images of the Alpine Way, the Grandstand, & the lovely CNE grounds. They were taken in 1968 & show a very different Toronto skyline (pre glassing & condo-ization!). It was my pleasure to donate the slides to the CNE archives so that other people will be albe to bask in their own memories of The Grand Old Lady.

Thank you so much Mustapha who is without a doubt, one of Urban Toronto's VIP's.

Peace & blessings to one and all.

Your Urban Toronto friend in training,

ValsHere

Thanks ValsHere, those are great images. You're making darn good progress in your training. You'll graduate next week. Bit of a Holiday gift for you. :)

Soupy Sales did a Christmas thing at Casa Loma in the 60s too. I never did "get" his schtick. Pie in the face thing...

Last edited:
December 18 addition.

Then. "North York Market Christmas Display 1920".

nymarketchristmasdisplay1920.jpg

Now December 2010. It's now a Loblaws store. Please excuse the cell phone camera quality photo.

Photo0051.jpg

Then. Sep 6, 1932. Outside view this time of our North York Market (it's on the right side of the picture) and view N on Yonge street. I didn't know there was a market here. This is just outside the old Toronto City Limit. I remember there was a York Mills Pontiac Buick here in the 60s that lasted up until 1990 or so.

It's my opinion only and I can't confirm it, but I believe that the North York Market, the York Mills dealership and the Loblaws are three different buildings occupying the same "footprint". My gramps bought a car when it was a dealership and I remember a 50s style floor to ceiling glass showroom of two storeys. The NY Market was obviously a brick affair. The present day Loblaws has a LOT of wood in it's construction - huge beams inside.

nytownshipmarket.jpg

Now. December 2010.

DSC_0973.jpg

There is a small three storey walkup type apartment building in both photos. In the Now picture it is "behind" and above the white pickup truck. The building seems quite original and as a result is kind of forlorn looking among its neighbours.

Mustapha, I edited your post a bit.

December 18 addition.

Then. Sep 6, 1932. Outside view this time of our North York Market (it's on the right side of the picture) and view N on Yonge street. I didn't know there was a market here. This is just outside the old Toronto City Limit. I remember there was a York Mills Pontiac Buick here in the 60s that lasted up until 1990 or so.

It's my opinion only and I can't confirm it, but I believe that the North York Market, the York Mills dealership and the Loblaws are three different buildings occupying the same "footprint". My gramps bought a car when it was a dealership and I remember a 50s style floor to ceiling glass showroom of two storeys. The NY Market was obviously a brick affair. The present day Loblaws has a LOT of wood in it's construction - huge beams inside.

nytownshipmarket.jpg

Then March 1968

s0648_fl0239_id0085.jpg

download.spark

from here http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?aBID=118110&p=3&topicID=31539705&page=1&sort=oldestFirst

Now. December 2010.

DSC_0973.jpg

There is a small three storey walkup type apartment building in both photos. In the Now picture it is "behind" and above the white pickup truck. The building seems quite original and as a result is kind of forlorn looking among its neighbours.

I seem to recall Christmas Fairyland becoming Christmas Wonderland sometime c1970--a sponsorship thing, or did the name "Fairyland" take on negative connotations circa (though I wouldn't bet on being triggered by) Stonewall?

I seem to recall Christmas Fairyland becoming Christmas Wonderland sometime c1970--a sponsorship thing, or did the name "Fairyland" take on negative connotations circa (though I wouldn't bet on being triggered by) Stonewall?

I remember a Christmas Fairyland at Casa Loma when I was about 4-5 or so. Was that the same thing that then moved to CNE (Automotive Bvilding?)?

Splendid, Anna. Or should I say, Splendid Anna! Thank you.

Why, thank you!

Do you think that's a bit of the old market building behind the glass-fronted showroom of the car dealership? I think you can see it behind the sign. And was the market building originally connected with the radial railway? It looks like it could have been a 'car barn' at one point.

p.s. great collection of photos all the way up Yonge St here:
http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/radial/Metro/history.htm

Speaking of Christmas displays: the old St. Charles Hotel, NW corner of Yonge and Melinda, 1908:

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there", L.P. Hartley The Go-Between

christmas.jpg

Why, thank you!

Do you think that's a bit of the old market building behind the glass-fronted showroom of the car dealership? I think you can see it behind the sign. And was the market building originally connected with the radial railway? It looks like it could have been a 'car barn' at one point.

p.s. great collection of photos all the way up Yonge St here:
http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/radial/Metro/history.htm

Fascinating. The terminal at Birch and Yonge, I wonder where it was, exactly...

Speaking of Christmas displays: the old St. Charles Hotel, NW corner of Yonge and Melinda, 1908:

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there", L.P. Hartley The Go-Between

christmas.jpg

Thank you thecharioteer. If I may... :)

Now. December 19, 2010.

DSCF3417.jpg

Another view of the St. Charles Hotel, note sign on roof [left side of picture]:

DominionBankYopngeatKingstc1903.jpg

Nice old Dominion Bank building at King and Yonge just to the north of our Hotel. Below is a description of the company and an engraving.

DSCF3379.jpg

DSCF3378.jpg

Now. Present day view: December 19, 2010. This building dates from 1913.

"The prestigious address of One King West was first home to the original Michie & Co. Grocers & Wine Merchants, established in Toronto in the mid-1800s. In 1889, the much sought-after Yonge and King location changed owners to become home to the head office of The Dominion Bank, a residency that would last an impressive 126 years.

In 1914, the bank’s rise to national prominence led to the construction of an early 12-story skyscraper. Beaux-Arts in style with Renaissance Revival detailing, the building was a major work of Darling and Pearson, Architects, in co-operation with Harkness and Oxley, Engineers.

In 1955, a merger with the Bank of Toronto resulted in the formation of The Toronto-Dominion Bank. Following this, many head office functions were relocated to the current Toronto-Dominion Bank building, while a branch continued to operate at 1 King West into the nineteen-nineties.

Ownership once again changed hands in 1999 and the Dominion Bank Building, now deemed a Heritage Building, was carefully redesigned for residential use by Stanford Downey Architect. This redesign saw the creation of the second tower adjacent to the building, aptly nicknamed “The Sliver”, due to its dramatically slender profile.

By 2006 the transformation was finally complete, resulting in One King West Hotel and Residence. Today, guests of the hotel are treated to the historical splendour of the Dominion Bank Building along with the modern sophistication of luxurious hotel amenities and services."

DSCF3422.jpg

Back