News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

April 27 addition.

Here is another picture set for JoeParez. :)

Then. Another ValsHere pic. Danforth Avenue. We are W of Greenwood, looking E. Early 60s I suppose.

LCBODanforthgreenwood.jpg

Now. "Its Britney." I wonder what the generation 50 years from now will think of Britney. Perhaps she will be iconic is some way. She will be elderly but still breathless Britney. Perhaps I'll just stop now rather than carry on in this vein of thought.

April 2011. The transit has moved underground. [This is for the benefit of you out-of-towners; we have a subway here. Envious?]. The streetcar journey to Yonge must have been a long one, but I suppose still shorter than the ride now from Long Branch to Yonge on the Queen line.

The LCBO is still there. You can actually touch the bottled product now, although you still have to take it away from the store hidden in a bag. [Swig.]

DSC_0183-1.jpg

Definitely worthwhile - Beckers & Cadet Cleaners together again...

The MT: T&N discussion from about a year ago about this house was mentioned in 'North Toronto Today'.
f1244_it7152.jpg

Last night I found the answer to where this bridge was located. Browsing through a collection of books on Ontario in the "Open Library" (http://openlibrary.org/books) I found 64-page publication by Lyman B Jackes named "Tales of North Toronto". He described the gates at the Yonge Street end of Glengrove and how the drive led to Glen Castle which was located just east of where John Ross Robertson School was/is. Glen Castle was owned by the Ainsley family and torn down in 1925. Glen Castle and Ainsley are two streets running between Glengrove and Glenview to the north.

I crossed that bridge or its successor several times as a teenager during the 1950s. Some of my school friends used it daily to get to LPCI. What surprises me about the 1910 picture is the car tracks across the bridge. In my recollection the path got very steep just beyond the boundaries of the photographs and logs were built into the hill as steps. So where did one go in a wagon down there? Not through the gate to Glen Castle by the looks of things.

"Tales of North Toronto" also gives a very interesting account of the 19th century technical problems associated with powering the mill in Hoggs Hollow and how nature could gum up these solutions with clay, just like Hurricane Hazel did in 1954.

Now. "Its Britney." I wonder what the generation 50 years from now will think of Britney. Perhaps she will be iconic is some way. She will be elderly but still breathless Britney. Perhaps I'll just stop now rather than carry on in this vein of thought.

Actually, the billboard is "It's Britney B***h" (her head blocks out the offending letters). "Edgy" Virgin Radio marketing. (But yeah, it compounds the "what'll people think seeing this in 50 years" question.)

Actually, the billboard is "It's Britney B***h" (her head blocks out the offending letters). "Edgy" Virgin Radio marketing. (But yeah, it compounds the "what'll people think seeing this in 50 years" question.)

Thanks adma. It seems no one who reads this thread even wants to venture a guess where 80 year Britney will be, psycho-culturally speaking. :)

April 28 addition.

Then. A couple of perspectives of the same Dundas West and Brock Avenue corner.

s0372_ss0058_it1267.jpg

CSC_0145.jpg

s0372_ss0058_it1060.jpg

CSC_0143.jpg

Now pictures taken March 2011.

I love them and miss them too. They should run a couple in regular service on weekends.

Too bad they're mostly scrapped, the HCRY still has four samples [4426, 4684, W30 (4631), W31 (4668)] (three of them are in a bad shape and need desperate restoration [especially the Ex. Louisville/Cleveland car]).

If only the schematics for one were still around..

Last edited:

Back