News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

SPAM ALERT?

IS THIS POSTER *aneesmnoATgmail.com* - JUST ABOVE THIS POST No 5596 & Goldie's, No 5594,

A SPAMMER?

THERE SEEMS TO BE A NUMBER OF POSTERS, "napoliten", AND INCLUDING THE ABOVE* WITH NO MERIT TO THE CONVERSATION.

SINCE I HAVE NOTICED THESE CHARACTERS, SPAM HAS STARTED TO APPEAR IN MY INBOX.

JUST ASKING.

REGUARDS,
J T

May 5, 2011.

Then. St. Clair and Dufferin. March 15, 1920. Looking NE across the intersection.

f1231_it0222.jpg

Now. April 2011.

DSC_0086-1.jpg

May 1 addition.

Then. Another ValsHere picture. 1974-ish, judging from the cars. Queen and Augusta looking W.

KFCQueen.jpg

More like 1980 or so. Note the "car" stop - around then they replaced the word "car" or "bus" with the pictogram, then 1984 or so they got rid of the word "stop" too. Not much later than 1980 since the cars still have the full destination signs and not the route numbers.

And that van looks more late-70s-ish.

More like 1980 or so. Note the "car" stop - around then they replaced the word "car" or "bus" with the pictogram, then 1984 or so they got rid of the word "stop" too. Not much later than 1980 since the cars still have the full destination signs and not the route numbers.

Before 1976, all the stops were painted on utility poles. I don't remember which issues of T.T.C.'s Coupler magazine circa 1975 explaining the replacement of painted stops but I agree, that picture is probably late 70's or 1980 judging by the car stop.

Last edited:
Thanks JT and thecharioteer, for identifying that building. Working from black and white aerial pictures can't be easy.

January 6 addition.

Then. "July 26, 1921. Woodbine NE corner Corley."

s0372_ss0003_it0328.jpg

Now. December 2010.

DSC_0933.jpg

The two story house in the "then" pic, to the north of the Carin store, was my family home 1967 or so to 1972! Now it's the brown roof with the dish on the chimney.
I am loving this thread and have only made it to this page after a solid two weeks reading.
There are so many posts I want to comment on but I know some are over two years old now.
I am not sure where things are at right now, but I'll add a few comments on these Woodbine Ave posts.
The first corner store, supposedly next to 405 Woodbine: In my childhood was known as Day's Variety. The store keeper was still using the long handled tongs to get things off of the higher shelves.
The Heyworth then: That is the Norway Public school's annex building, I have some pics of the school I could post.
More to come if anyone is still interested. I saw a Queen and McLean post way back I have some memories to share about that area as well.
Oh and way back was reference to the Goof! A comment was made about a new sign, I don't think so, to see the "GOOF" you need to look at the sign from the east!

May 1 addition.

Queen and Augusta looking W.

Now.

CSC_0050-1.jpg

That Taco Bell/KFC nightmare destroys that stretch. There should be laws.

*points to the Then picture*, $1.49 for what, two/three pieces of Chicken!?

Not $1.49 anymore but the Colonel's chicken is still good picnic food that tastes as good cold as it does hot - can't say that for pizza. I used to buy a bucket and and tote it all over Toronto Island or the Zoo until the brats, sorry, the young darlings finished off the last pieces waiting to board the ferry.

Last edited:

Before 1976, all the stops were painted on utility poles. I don't remember which issues of T.T.C.'s Coupler magazine circa 1975 explaining the replacement of painted stops but I agree, that picture is probably late 70's or 1980 judging by the car stop.

I had a feeling that when the discussions got primed and started up on these streetcar photos they would involve seemingly small [to most of us] details, but nonetheless facts of great significance to followers of Toronto transit history. I for one had my memory twigged at the mention of painted stops.

Last edited:
The two story house in the "then" pic, to the north of the Carin store, was my family home 1967 or so to 1972! Now it's the brown roof with the dish on the chimney.
I am loving this thread and have only made it to this page after a solid two weeks reading.
There are so many posts I want to comment on but I know some are over two years old now.
I am not sure where things are at right now, but I'll add a few comments on these Woodbine Ave posts.
The first corner store, supposedly next to 405 Woodbine: In my childhood was known as Day's Variety. The store keeper was still using the long handled tongs to get things off of the higher shelves.
The Heyworth then: That is the Norway Public school's annex building, I have some pics of the school I could post.
More to come if anyone is still interested. I saw a Queen and McLean post way back I have some memories to share about that area as well.
Oh and way back was reference to the Goof! A comment was made about a new sign, I don't think so, to see the "GOOF" you need to look at the sign from the east!

Heya mattelderca, Welcome and hello. In my section of childhood Toronto, our "Day's Variety" was Maslen's Grocery on Yonge between Albertus and Craighurst. Same long handled tongs.

I lived on Scarboro Beach Blvd for 7 years, a great part of the city that I miss.

That Taco Bell/KFC nightmare destroys that stretch. There should be laws.

Those original KFC restaurants had a period charm all their own - even our local "Red Barn" chain had nothing on it, in my opinion. The only problem was that there was nowhere to sit in those small original KFCs. I will agree that it still doesn't excuse the absolutely screeching oddity of the modern restaurants.

Two "thens" on St. Clair east of Avenue Road:

stclair.jpg

stclair2.jpg

2nd picture: I used to have clients in the old Imperial Oil HQ on the left. It's nice that its about to be repurposed as a condominium. So many nice details and finishes inside and out.

That's a 1964 Chevy Impala in the distance... anyone wanna armwrestle me on this? :)

Last edited:
2nd picture: I used to have clients in the old Imperial Oil HQ on the left. It's nice that its about to be repurposed as a condominium. So many nice details and finishes inside and out.

That's a 1964 Chevy Impala in the distance... anyone wanna armwrestle me on this? :)

Of course not. Looks like the city works department was showing off one of its brand new Crosswalks complete with the safety additions they quickly had to add in the first month after they were first installed. Do people still "point their way to safety"?

Back