News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It might have been a practical consideration -a larger tree on those lawns might have busted a foundation or the water services. Our front yard Maple died [the one that kept putting roots into our drain] and the city's replacement is just a wee thing that even when grown will still be a wee thing.

Dutch elm disease, maybe?
http://www.treetours.to/parkdale/stop07

Acme Ice Cream was probably made by Acme Farmers Dairy. The logo on the sign looks familiar. Acme delivered milk to our house in the 1940s until .... they went out of business or we stopped having a milk delivery. Both events probably happened about the same time.

f1488_it6611.jpg

Dairies on Spadina

NomoreaTorontonian:
"Acme Ice Cream was probably made by Acme Farmers Dairy. The logo on the sign looks familiar. Acme delivered milk to our house in the 1940s until .... they went out of business or we stopped having a milk delivery. Both events probably happened about the same time."

If I'm not mistaken Acme Farmers Dairy was in this building (attachement) on Spadina Crescent (near College). It later became City Dairy and then Bordens.

Attachments

• Acme-City Dairy.jpg
    Acme-City Dairy.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 378
Finally, after many years of searching, I received a copy (many thanks to film historian, Eric Veillette) of this old photo of the theatre where I had my earliest movie experiences.
I've never forgotten the thrills of watching the serialized adventures of Captain Marvel at the Saturday matinees - when it was earlier known as the 'Iola Theatre.'

TNAcecinema1947.jpg

Last edited:
Finally, after many years of searching, I received a copy (many thanks to film historian, Eric Veillette) of this old photo of the theatre where I had my earliest movie experiences.
I've never forgotten the thrills of watching the serialized adventures of Captain Marvel at the Saturday matinees - when it was the Iola Theatre.

TNIola-Ace.jpg

I'm glad that this fulfulls so much personally for you Goldie. Congrats. The Then picture is a stunner too.

Great article and story about Ace Restaurant on Roncesvalles - the long closed restaurant sold to new owners who unlocked a time capsule:

http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/05/a_vintage_diner_on_roncesvalles_preserved_in_dust/

I had the opportunity today to meet the new tenant and check on the renovation. A new restaurant will open in about a month.

CSC_0774.jpg

DSC_0770.jpg

DSC_0763.jpg

DSC_0762.jpg

DSC_0761.jpg

Soda fountain taps.
DSC_0758.jpg

If you make the picture bigger on your monitor, you'll be able to make out the menu. :)
DSC_0757.jpg

DSC_0756.jpg

DSC_0753.jpg

CSC_0796.jpg

CSC_0766.jpg

I have another to upload once I get to work. Saving this space for it.

-edit-

Then: 60 Manning Avenue, July 21st 1945. I believe this house was torn down for what you see on Google maps.

s0372_ss0033_it0937.jpg

Google Maps perspective:
20110315082202.jpg

Now: March 2011, undergoing a THIRD evolution.

IMG_4619.jpg

Update on the house.

1Py4N.jpg

Also, nice meeting you Jeff, JT, Android, Aladone, and wwwebster.

Last edited:
"Also, nice meeting you Jeff, JT, Android, Aladone, and wwwebster." QUOTE TKWizard.

Please note: the above shows beyond a doubt that Jeff and I are two different people;

we just seem to "tag-team", a great deal. (LOL)

A good time was had by all, with my thinking the next to occur mid/late July.

To those of you who begged off due to another commitment(s)

I STILL HAVE YOUR NUMBER! (LOL)

KIND REGARDS,
J T

It was nice meeting everyone, thank you JT for organizing.

And your new camera really is quite capable in your expert hands TKWizard, as your photo captures the shadows and brightly lit areas and exposes for both very well.

Goldie, when you took this photo were you aware that the buildings on Danforth Ave were renumbered around 1921?

For example, today 2500 Danforth Ave is just west of Main St, but during WWI the same site would have been 1450 (ish) Danforth Ave.

According to the Goads 1913 Fire insurance map, 350 Danforth was on the North side of the street, just west of Pape.

http://www.toronto.ca/archives/goads_fire_insurance_plans.htm

I think the bicycle against the fence on the left side of the photo is on the property of the church that's still there today

June 20 addition.

Then. "University Avenue, looking south from north of Queen Street West. Nov. 8, 1969."

In the left distance is the provincial courthouse that was replaced by the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts.

89UniversityAvenuelookingsouthfromnorthofQueenStreetWestNov869.jpg

Now. June 2011. Sorry, my camera was not as wide of view as the camera that took the Then picture. On the right in the Then picture the Canada Life Building can be made out in the gloom of night. The Canada Life is still there of course.

In the Now picture I want to point out how we have lost the Royal York Hotel as a point of reference. It was iconic in my mind; a kind of beacon in a figurative sense. The Hilton in the middle of our Now picture was originally built about 1976 as the Hotel Toronto - not really so much iconic as ...serviceable. :)

90.jpg

Last edited:

Back