News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

66crescentrdandcluny.jpg

How do we feel about ivy completely overgrowing a house? Good or bad?

Some ivy on the walls gives character. However, you don't want to be getting into that "reclaimed by nature" look. The house in the picture is taking the ivy thing way too far.

I took this picture in 1975 (not 1977 - thanks adma!) during the construction of the CN tower but I can't figure out where I was. I want to shoot a 'now' and wondered if anyone knows if the gun is still there and if so where? I've got another picture that has a tank as well.

cn_tower_1977_2.jpg

Last edited:
I took this picture in 1977 during the construction of the CN tower but I can't figure out where I was. I want to shoot a 'now' and wondered if anyone knows if the gun is still there and if so where? I've got another picture that has a tank as well.

cn_tower_1977_2.jpg

This was on the south side of Lakeshore Blvd. across the street from the Automotive Building. There was also a Lancaster bomber - this was moved to the Downsview airbase where is has been restored but not to flyable condition.

Last edited:
July 6 addition.

Then. Oct 15, 1934. Standing on the SE corner of Carlaw and Danforth looking across to the NE corner.

73.jpg

Now. June 2011. The Sunkist Fruit Market lasted up until about 2000 I think. I am going on recollection, which may be inaccurate.

74.jpg

July 7 addition. We'll get back to the grand homes of Rosedale and Forest Hill in a couple of weeks. Thanks again to wwwebster and his formidable research skills for bringing those to us.

Then. "June 26, 1922. 245 Broadview Avenue." We are on the east side of Broadview looking S towards Dundas. A barbershop pole and a strange low fence of the type I've seen in very old cemeteries are two of the interesting details in this old scene.

75.jpg

Now. April 2011. Some rather forlorn Chinese businesses here. This is the very south end of the Broadview Chinatown area. I have always found it interesting that Toronto's downtown could support two Chinatowns.

76.jpg

Back on June 17 we passed an anniversary of three years for this thread - I just realized this tonite. It has been and continues to be a great source of satisfaction for me to interact with all of you here.

My warmest regards to you all.

Broadview and Dundas

Interesting pictures. It seems the building that is accesed by those stairs is still there. Google again!
Note the lawn breather, sewage trap access sticking up in 1922 is now still in place in the top step of the new entrance. I find the little details intriquing.
I see the Dennis House (correct name?) is now a coffee time. I guess I have not been paying attention to this strip for some time, what happened to the Broadview Y? Torn down for some time I guess? I used to ride the streetcar from Queen and McLean to summer day camp there. Around 1973 IIRC, some fond memories there.

Last edited:
Mustapha, good eye as usual spotting the barbershop poles.
As fate would have it, the barbershop is now Sherry's Hair Design!

July 7 addition. We'll get back to the grand homes of Rosedale and Forest Hill in a couple of weeks. Thanks again to wwwebster and his formidable research skills for bringing those to us.

Then. "June 26, 1922. 245 Broadview Avenue." We are on the east side of Broadview looking S towards Dundas. A barbershop pole and a strange low fence of the type I've seen in very old cemeteries are two of the interesting details in this old scene.

75.jpg

Now. April 2011. Some rather forlorn Chinese businesses here. This is the very south end of the Broadview Chinatown area. I have always found it interesting that Toronto's downtown could support two Chinatowns.

76.jpg

This was on the south side of Lakeshore Blvd. across the street from the Automotive Building. There was also a Lancaster bomber - this was moved to the Downsview airbase where is has been restored but not to flyable condition.

Scanned more negatives from the same batch and behold... a Lancaster bomber :)

lancaster_1.jpg

lancaster_2.jpg

Back