News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The University Line under construction.

Story & Full Slideshow: http://torontoist.com/2013/03/happy-anniversary-university-line/

20130306_constructionbegins.jpg

20130306_universityskyshot.jpg

20130306_constructionuniversity.jpg

20130306_stpatrickdesign.jpg

20130306_stgeorge.jpg

20130306_tour1.jpg

20130306_dennisontour.jpg

20130306_stgeorgeentrance.jpg

20130306_robarts.jpg

20130306_firsttrain.jpg

20130306_stclairwestconstruction.jpg

An interesting thing this photo reminded me of/corrected me on

For some reason, I was under the impression that the nearer of the two Miesian-cage apartments was rather boxily retrofitted/reclad lately--no, it looks like it was *always* that way; probably newer and more under a Brutalist-era influence (sometimes, a few years between buildings can make all the difference)

An interesting thing this photo reminded me of/corrected me on

For some reason, I was under the impression that the nearer of the two Miesian-cage apartments was rather boxily retrofitted/reclad lately--no, it looks like it was *always* that way; probably newer and more under a Brutalist-era influence (sometimes, a few years between buildings can make all the difference)

You were correct, adma. The nearer of the two (Tower Hill West, built in 1969) did replace its metal picket balconies a few years with an unsympathetic black glass. The other tower (Tower Hill East, built in 1966) still has the original rails. Both were designed by WZMH.

M II A II R II K's University Line post.

Two things.

I'm always drawn to the mailing address on old magazines, this one proved no exception.

John Robarts.. looks wise, what a Premier from Central Casting should look like. And a great legacy too, in my opinion.

Then and Now for March 11, 2013.

Then. Clinton Street Methodist Church. c1899. Interesting construction..

100196-100Clintonc1899.jpg

Now. Aug. 2012. Not much on the internet about this church. There was a merger with another congregation in 1928, but congregations come and go. Yes, I know now, in the Then picture the camera angle was pointed NW, my camera was pointed SW; I have days like that. :)

1002.jpg

Wow, look at all that plaid.
Orde St. School used to have a 'Health School' also that was on the top floors of the school. Children who were deemed 'underweight' by the health nurses would be sent off to this Health Section of Orde St. P.S. where they would receive snacks, lunches, rest periods and regular school work. There were also 'Open Air Schools' that operated in High Park and other parks, where the children were taught in a portable set-up classroom that was completely open on the top. These classes existed in the late 1940s and early 50s.

They used to have Scotch Eggs at the Marks & Spencers stores...but now they've gone too!

I have to go to London to get my Marks and Sparks fix. It's been a few years since I've been. Thanks for the reminder. :)

I also remember their terribly itchy wool sweaters. Sold in a cellophane package.

Then and Now for March 11, 2013.

Then. Clinton Street Methodist Church. c1899. Interesting construction..

100196-100Clintonc1899.jpg

From Robertson's Landmarks of Toronto 1904:

cf1a8cf9-c1f7-4543-a859-443338703329.jpg

CLINTON ST. METHODIST.

In the year 1886 Spadina Avenue and Dundas Street Methodist churches each commenced a separate mission not far from the corner of College
and Clinton streets. A year later these missions were united ......A site for a church and parsonage was purchased on the west side of
Clinton street, 150 yards north of College street, with a frontage of 90 feet on Clinton street and a frontage of 161 feet on Jersey avenue.

The south-east corner stone of the new church was laid by Miss Maud
Philp, who has previously been mentioned as taking an active part in the work of the church.

The church was opened for divine service in May 1888, the Rev. Charles Langford being the first minister..... The building
is a frame one heated with hot air, the interior is 75x55 feet, with a handsome front. There is a minister's vestry with three long class rooms in
addition to the room used for service.

The total cost of the building, including seats and heating apparatus somewhat exceeded $5,000, bringing the total coat, inclusive of land, up
to quite $12,000.

The church seats nearly 1,000 people and at the present date has more than 360 enrolled members. The Sunday school has an average attendance
of 375, with J. D. Roberts as superintendent.

Attachments

• Clinton_Street_Methodist,_Toronto.jpg
    Clinton_Street_Methodist,_Toronto.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:

Back