News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

There is nothing better about a monorail other than its cheap infrastructure construction above ground. Grade climbing ability has to do with the friction between the wheel and the surface, not whether or not it is a monorail. Curve radius has more to do with vehicle length and how the articulations are designed, not whether or not it is a monorail. Capacity has nothing to do with being or not being a monorail. There is frankly no reason to build a monorail other than a route will be substantially above ground. Toronto has no desire for elevated transit and they can barely stand at grade transit.

Simply put....we don't need monorails. It's one more technology for us, which we just don't need. And unless we are going to actually elevate anywhere (say down Eglinton), it's not going to be significantly cost competitive.

Toronto better get use to elevated transit if they have even a prayer of getting the mass transit system it desperately needs. Toronto is inique in the world in that it doesn't use it's rail ROW and elevated transit. This is why Toronto's little stubways cost a fortune and rob the system of being able to make transit expansion a priority.
Let's be completely honest here, Toronto's mass/rapid transit system is horrid for a metro it's size. I can't think of any city in the world {except truly low income ones} that have systems as small as Toronto's.
The advantages of monorail over elevated subway is that that are far cheaper and faster to build, are much less visually obstructive and are very quite and comfortable. Being quiet is essentail when going down street mediens or rail ROW near residential areas.
As for different technologies, I agree. That means eventually scrapping the SRT and transferring it to monorail and then at Kennedy turning west along Eglinton for the cross city route. The BD can be extended further east to Kingston.

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2010/05/31/bombardier-monorail-riyadh.html

Maybe we should be looking into this!

12 trains......6 stops....3.6km and a 10 year contract to maintain it all for $241 million (US) and ready for use in 2012.

Now, it would likely cost more here and it may not be most people's preferred technology....but those are some pretty competitive numbers.
I don't think that's not the cost for the entire project; that's Bombardier's portion (tracks, trains, etc.). Bombardier is subbing to Saudi Oger Limited who are the prime contractor.

Simply put....we don't need monorails. It's one more technology for us, which we just don't need. And unless we are going to actually elevate anywhere (say down Eglinton), it's not going to be significantly cost competitive.

I am probably not the only one who thinks any sort of elevated structure(LRT included) is pretty fricking ugly, and has the potential to radically change the look of a corridor. Great for open areas, and to cross wide expanses, but not down corridors.

^^ Are you serious? An elevated line can bring a lot of good to a corridor, even ones you might consider butt ugly such as those in New York. It makes the streetscape more interesting, and even just a moderately nice concrete guideway going down a suburban arterial (namely Sheppard, Eglinton, and Don Mills) would actually be a good addition to the corridor. And that's something I don't even think the TTC can screw up.

The problem with elevated is that we Torontonians are so unaccustomed to seeing it or living with it day-to-day. The only referrence point we have is the Gardiner which half the city wants teared down and the SRT ROW, which from the perspective of pedestrians could be viewed as unappealing (for riders though the approach to SCC is awe-inspiring). Compare this to countless American, European and Asian metropolises where elevated is so heavily entrenched in those cities' character that locals, even if viewing it as an eyesore, just learn to tolerate it over time.

If elevated is so great, why are people up in arms in Vancouver with the current discussion about extending the Millenium line west to UBC on an elevated structure? (not the likely choice, but one of the options on the table).

... Because there's always going to be someone complaining?

Hey niftz, if LRT's so great, why do we have not one but two SOS groups protesting it in the past 3 years?

If elevated is so great, why are people up in arms in Vancouver with the current discussion about extending the Millenium line west to UBC on an elevated structure? (not the likely choice, but one of the options on the table).

It's only going to be underground between Main Street and Sasamat. The start and end points are elevated, not unlike the Richmond section of RAV. I've even heard talk of starting the elevated guideway as far back as Arbutus.

It's only going to be underground between Main Street and Sasamat.
Uh ... that's the entire alignment through Vancouver. All that leaves is the section through the forest approaching UBC, outside of the City of Vancouver limits.

But the decision hasn't been made yet ... they are still in their route and technology selection phase; but from what I've heard from those who have been attending the meetings, the elevated guideway through Vancouver itself isn't considered a serious possibility.

This is what I have understood as well.
I also.................wait for it..................would also be strongly against any elevation down the Broadway Corridor. As I have stated many times I am against any elevated system thru the original city of Toronto boundaries except down existing rail ROW. I cannot think of an area in Toronto where it would be appropriate. At the same time I am also strongly against any tunneled sections outside of the original boundaries. Elevation and at grade rail
ROW should be the norms in these areas and exceptions should be very rare.

... Because there's always going to be someone complaining?

Hey niftz, if LRT's so great, why do we have not one but two SOS groups protesting it in the past 3 years?

One SOS group had a pro-auto agenda. The other, well... Yeah..

There is more support for TC than against.

Last edited:

Back