News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

"Full speed" is slower how, exactly?

For the record, I believe that the Metro's standard mainline switch is a #6, which would require slower speeds on the diverging than a #9.

ATC doesn't help with track geometry.

Dan
I never wrote "full speed" so I'm not sure what the quotation marks are for, nor did I mention anything about track geometry, but nevertheless, the metro has a higher average speed than the subway. ATC may indeed help with that.

I don't know who your engineer friend is, but they just gave a contract to AECOM/Systra to update the study they had started with the Caisse for the new project. The goal is to come up with a solution that is better integrated with existing transport infrastructure (metro blue/green lines, Pie-IX BRT, Mascouche commuter rail line). The premier just acknowledged that that report will be delivered before the end of the fiscal year (March 31).

I don't think they've settled on anything just yet.
He works for the team that works on metro line extensions engineering. Good to know.

Reactions: Xav
The disaster that was CDPQ's de l'est proposal has got me thinking tonight about the cross-section of aesthetics and engineering in the design of elevated rail. I ended up going down a rabbit hole about ladder track and I'm curious about the viability of elevating it.
LadderTrack-Parallax-Header.jpg

This is already viable at small scales as shown above.
I somehow have a feeling that the answer is going to be yes... but only using composites that would make it just as expensive as tunneling x.x
I would love to proven wrong however!
If any railfans could link me to an engineering forum where I could ask this question that would be neat :)

I’m in Montreal again, working, and this week in the airport area. I am seeing a commuter rail line with some regularity, not sure which one it is - Saint Jerome or Deux - Montagnes I believe, but what strikes me is the shortness of the trains - 3 to 5 cars only. I am used to seeing GO rolling with 12 car units, and even on the Hudson line, I‘Ve never seen more then 8? Is this normal and common practice?

I’m in Montreal again, working, and this week in the airport area. I am seeing a commuter rail line with some regularity, not sure which one it is - Saint Jerome or Deux - Montagnes I believe, but what strikes me is the shortness of the trains - 3 to 5 cars only. I am used to seeing GO rolling with 12 car units, and even on the Hudson line, I‘Ve never seen more then 8? Is this normal and common practice?
South of the airport, along the 20? That would be the Rigaud line - the old CP line - which hasn't seen any significant operational changes on the Island since at least the 1970s or so - the odd addition and removal of a train, here and there.

That's the Vaudreuil-Hudson line (ex-Rigaud, as nfitz mentionned). Pre-pandemic they ran 6-8 car trains, same with St-Jérôme. Deux-Montagnes had EMUs.

Since the pandemic however they run shorter trains with reduced frequencies (it has not increased yet, sadly).

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1926026/transport-collectif-montreal-rive-sud-train
"CDPQ-Infra vise toujours la mise en service d’un premier tronçon du REM en décembre".

Much to the surprise of many, myself included, the start of service for the REM (just the section between Rive-Sud and Central Station) is apparently still targeted for December 1st.
It's not an official start date though, and there was a pretty dramatic accident a few weeks back that damaged some of the new infrastructure. That damage was only just recently repaired, so I'll believe it when I see it. 🤞🤞

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1926026/transport-collectif-montreal-rive-sud-train
"CDPQ-Infra vise toujours la mise en service d’un premier tronçon du REM en décembre".

Much to the surprise of many, myself included, the start of service for the REM (just the section between Rive-Sud and Central Station) is apparently still targeted for December 1st.
It's not an official start date though, and there was a pretty dramatic accident a few weeks back that damaged some of the new infrastructure. That damage was only just recently repaired, so I'll believe it when I see it. 🤞🤞
Where can I read about the accident?

They're still operating in manual mode and still doing some work. I took this pic Tuesday. They said that we'll know 30 days in advance before the start of service. So in 10 days we don't get a confirmation, ain't gonna happen.

IMG_1250.jpeg

They're still operating in manual mode and still doing some work. I took this pic Tuesday. They said that we'll know 30 days in advance before the start of service. So in 10 days we don't get a confirmation, ain't gonna happen.
Nice pic! Yep, as I said I'll believe it when I see it. I think that the December 1 start date is still present due to a lack of update following the accident. Even prior to that, it seemed like December would be cutting it close. It is good to see the testing recommence nevertheless.

Where can I read about the accident?
Here's a video. It's pretty crazy! https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/...cule-d-entretien-force-l-arret-de-travaux.php

Back