News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The other great King Street painting is "Lights of a City Street" by Frederick Bell-Smith, painted in 1894, owned by the HBC and I believe still viewable in the Simpson Tower:

FMBell-Smith1894Lightsofacitystreetwhole.jpg

The story of the painting:

http://www.hbc.com/hbcheritage/collections/art/lights/

One of my favourite Toronto paintings charioteer. It currently hangs in the vestibule between the Arcadian Court and the cafeteria. I stop and look at it whenever I'm passing through. I'm hoping they don't remove it when they renovate the Arcadian.

The one on the left (205/209) even housed Heritage Toronto before they moved to St. Lawrence Hall. It was nicely restored inside. I believe we've heard in the past that the man who owns it is preservation-friendly and would like to buy the buiilding to the south to put together a nice parcel, but its owners (Parasuco, I believe) aren't interested in selling.

Don't get me started on these buildings.

I'm very fearful of these buildings. Heritage nor not, a 'mysterious fire' is still possible. Parasuco owns the one on the right? Ugh! I remember a few years ago they were to open a jeans store there (they even had signs up announcing it), but nothing came of it. The fact they don't want to sell makes me worried.

These buildings are IDEAL retail locations. If they are left to die, or are killed I'll cry. I will actually shed tears.

They are not ideal retail. The Eaton Centre killed the east side of Yonge. That's partially why they are empty.

If they put a restaurant or lounge or converted them into a bookstore, even, they would do well. They would certainly do well as event halls (especially if they joined them in the centre). There are numerous possibilities that the Eaton Centre can't kill.

Eaton Centre pretty much killed all of Yonge St, really. It's nice having an air conditioned mall in the summer and a heated one in the winter downtown, but it did strip Yonge St of any possible future as a proper main street. It isn't right now and only has bits and pieces.

If they put a restaurant or lounge or converted them into a bookstore, even, they would do well. They would certainly do well as event halls (especially if they joined them in the centre). There are numerous possibilities that the Eaton Centre can't kill.

I'm a little iffy about how at least 205/209 would do as an event hall on its own. It's nice inside, but lacks a little of the ooh-aah factor that two other nearby event halls, 1 King West and the Design Exchange, have. It's also rather long and narrow. As for bookstores--would anyone risk opening an independent bookstore on Yonge these days, especially in a building that size? Indigo isn't likely to move from the Eaton Centre. Some Yonge St. retail seems to be doing OK, but not on that particular stretch. It might work as a restaurant.

Don't get me started on these buildings.

I'm very fearful of these buildings. Heritage nor not, a 'mysterious fire' is still possible. Parasuco owns the one on the right? Ugh! I remember a few years ago they were to open a jeans store there (they even had signs up announcing it), but nothing came of it. The fact they don't want to sell makes me worried.

These buildings are IDEAL retail locations. If they are left to die, or are killed I'll cry. I will actually shed tears.

Does anyone know when these were last used? I remember that one was used as the heritage office for a bit but were the banks the last tennants?

I really hope both of these gems get a second life without a massive renovation or conversion.

Never having been in the former Bank of Commerce, I am not able to comment, however the more northerly one with offices in the front, has

little square footage. BTY, HOMESENSE, at 193/5 Yonge is doing a gangbusters buisiness. This leads me to believe if a consolidation of the

three properties were to occur - the two former banks & the old hotel site, anything might be possible.

Regards,
J T

This is my first post too! (A year after yours.) I love this photo! I never would have imagined that a Toronto cop would drive a Pinto. I wonder how it affected the degree of respect they encountered from locals. (snicker.)

Does anyone know when these were last used? I remember that one was used as the heritage office for a bit but were the banks the last tennants?

I really hope both of these gems get a second life without a massive renovation or conversion.

I know there used to be two TD Bank ABMs on the side of the one on the left. Those went during the 90s. The Irish flag went up a few years ago for St Patrick's day. I thought that maybe the Irish Embassy was moving northward or and actual Irish embassy was opening; but, no, it seems they just haven't bothered to take the flag down! Lol. Oh, dear.

The building is for rent/lease by it's Irish owner.

Regards,
J T

These are fantastic photos! Where did you find them?

With the exception of the first picture, most of the pictures came from the book titled Toronto Calling by Sylvia Skeldon circa 1976. Out of print long time ago. Sorry for the late reply since I picked up the book from Goodwill recently.

Heritage Toronto was indeed in the more northerly one and was the last tenant there (not a bank). The building was restored in the early-mid 90s, they were there for a few years (I got a nice tour of the building at that time), and then they moved to St. Lawrence Hall, partially, I believe, because the rent was too high on Yonge St. for them.

The stylized dome of the Heritage Toronto logo originally referred to that building, although it works for St. Lawrence Hall as well.

and then they moved to St. Lawrence Hall, partially, I believe, because the rent was too high on Yonge St. for them.

I thought it was more of a post-amalgamation downsizing/municipal-property-selloff situation...

No good photos that I could find in the City of Toronto Archives site of either of the buildings on the east side of Yonge, but here's one of the building that used to stand in the middle - complete with pre-pacman-pacman in the name - Scholes's Hotel at 201-203 Yonge St:
f1257_s1057_it0537.jpg

Back