News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

walkerhouse.jpg

Notice how the flags of the First World War's Central Powers (Germany, Austria, Turkey and Bulgaria) are blacked out. Do you have a date for this postcard? The flag they use for Portugal was replaced with the abolition of the monarchy in 1910. The flag they use for El Salvador was last used in 1912. For some reason, it looks like they're using the United Tribes flag of New Zealand. It looks like they made up flags for Australia and Bolivia.

Notice how the flags of the First World War's Central Powers (Germany, Austria, Turkey and Bulgaria) are blacked out. Do you have a date for this postcard? The flag they use for Portugal was replaced with the abolition of the monarchy in 1910. The flag they use for El Salvador was last used in 1912. For some reason, it looks like they're using the United Tribes flag of New Zealand. It looks like they made up flags for Australia and Bolivia.

Here's an uncensored version I found:

walkerhouse2.jpg

No good photos that I could find in the City of Toronto Archives site of either of the buildings on the east side of Yonge, but here's one of the building that used to stand in the middle - complete with pre-pacman-pacman in the name - Scholes's Hotel at 201-203 Yonge St:
f1257_s1057_it0537.jpg

Here's a shot without the porch:

TDbankYonge.jpg

Scholes Hotel became the Colonial? I did not know that. By the way, can I get a consensus that the empty space between the two bank buildings where Scholes/The Colonial once stood, never mind the two empty bank buildings themselves, is a living rebuke to any idea that this city is being developed intelligently, or gives a sweet damn about capitalizing on heritage properties? Whose brilliant idea was it to raze that building anyway, to replace it with a pointless scrap of "park," then a fenced-off empty space? ON A PRIME STRETCH OF THE CITY'S MAIN DRAG? Jeez...

Scholes Hotel became the Colonial? I did not know that. By the way, can I get a consensus that the empty space between the two bank buildings where Scholes/The Colonial once stood, never mind the two empty bank buildings themselves, is a living rebuke to any idea that this city is being developed intelligently, or gives a sweet damn about capitalizing on heritage properties? Whose brilliant idea was it to raze that building anyway, to replace it with a pointless scrap of "park," then a fenced-off empty space? ON A PRIME STRETCH OF THE CITY'S MAIN DRAG? Jeez...

It's not even a park it's a parkette. I wouldn't even call it a parkette but rather a walkway to the parking lot that's behind it. I'm afraid for these buildings. I have not trust whatsoever with city developers.

Well, remember that the Scholes was already demolished, anyway (at least above the ground floor) c1960 for the mythic, if not-much-to-look-at, final incarnation of the Colonial...

Note that the original Malton terminal was a clone of the Island Airport terminal...

Where was this exactly? Presumably on the east side of Queen's Park somewhere, but I can't figure out what has replaced it.

Edit: Nevermind - a quick look back through the Then and Now thread reveals that this was located on University Ave. where Mount Sinai stands today.

Last edited:

Back