News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

I am interested in Cheryl Watson, but I want to wait a little longer to see if anyone else runs.

I am not interested in Krushell or Oshry, though. Council needs some fresh voices and that ain't them.

I am interested to know who her donors are. If she will have received no donations from the UCP or UCP-affiliated groups, then she likely has my vote at this point (unless Sohi or Knack announce, which may change things...).

One big name out of the mayor's race is Andrew Knack sticking with another run as councillor.
Does that mean Sohi is going to be taking a shot or are the big name list of mayor candidates set as is?

Last edited:
One big name out of the mayor's race is Andrew Knack sticking with another run as councillor.
Does that mean Sohi is going to be taking a shot or are the big name list of mayor candidates set as is?
I've gotta imagine it means Sohi is in, which is fantastic news. A mayor with federal ministerial experience (under the ruling party no less) would be big for Edmonton. Sohi is effective at navigating tricky political situations and still getting stuff done - a very valuable skillset to have in the political landscape that is Alberta. Plus he knows what it takes to be a councilor - something that I think a lot of new candidates drastically underestimate.

I was driving down 109th street the other day, near Whyte Ave. A flatbed truck was parked in the center southbound lane with its hazards on, and some guys were standing at the rear adjusting huge signs that fell over. The kind of signs that stand on wooden legs. I thought that was a pretty good summary of Mike Nickel as a politician.

The closer we get to the expiration of this council and mayor, the more I think a change is substantially needed BAD. It's not just downtown, the Yellowhead and Gateway into the city have become absolutely disgusting by an unacceptable level of neglect. I think this is becoming a more hot button issue as I have seen local business figures even just today acknowledging on Linkedin the state of downtown. City council and the mayor's legacy might win awards for being the most Woke council in Canada for their carbon aspirations and unrealistic homeless strategies but man oh man have they ever blown the absolute bare minimum basics like maintaining a clean and safe city. Edmonton's poor image and reputation is rightfully earned.

The closer we get to the expiration of this council and mayor, the more I think a change is substantially needed BAD. It's not just downtown, the Yellowhead and Gateway into the city have become absolutely disgusting by an unacceptable level of neglect. I think this is becoming a more hot button issue as I have seen local business figures even just today acknowledging on Linkedin the state of downtown. City council and the mayor's legacy might win awards for being the most Woke council in Canada for their carbon aspirations and unrealistic homeless strategies but man oh man have they ever blown the absolute bare minimum basics like maintaining a clean and safe city. Edmonton's poor image and reputation is rightfully earned.
I agree that the downtown has gotten bad. There is a lot of disorder and unfortunate things happening - and they're a lot more visible without the mass of workers downtown. However, none of these idiots seem to have suggestions on how to fix it.

"Clean up downtown" is not a helpful suggestion. These people need to provide clear suggestions with sources of potential funding. Otherwise I've heard enough of their whining.

I agree that the downtown has gotten bad. There is a lot of disorder and unfortunate things happening - and they're a lot more visible without the mass of workers downtown. However, none of these idiots seem to have suggestions on how to fix it.

"Clean up downtown" is not a helpful suggestion. These people need to provide clear suggestions with sources of potential funding. Otherwise I've heard enough of their whining.
Considering there is about a 200 word limit on a letter to the editor, I dont expect someone to write a thesis on how a major Canadian city should clean up its downtown, actually, it should be pretty straight forward. Get the street sweepers out early and fast starting first on our most frequented pathways like Jasper ave, bike lanes, and sidewalks (104 street?); have crews walk the downtown sidewalks cleaning up leftover gravel, dust, garbage (I have lived in downtown Montreal and Toronto and have frequently seen city crews doing this exact thing); have a crew every two weeks clean up blown garbage at our major entrance ways ie Gateway, Yellowhead, etc.

Source of funding? At least for the downtown portion - start with using the $1.5 million or whatever it was that is going towards replacing every speed limit sign from 50 km/h to 40 km/h and leave ridiculous make work WOKE projects like that for non-COVID times when the city has more revenue.

Last edited:
Considering there is about a 200 word limit on a letter to the editor, I dont expect someone to write a thesis on how a major Canadian city should clean up its downtown, actually, it should be pretty straight forward. Get the street sweepers out early and fast starting first on our most frequented pathways like Jasper ave, bike lanes, and sidewalks (104 street?); have crews walk the downtown sidewalks cleaning up leftover gravel, dust, garbage (I have lived in downtown Montreal and Toronto and have frequently seen city crews doing this exact thing); have a crew every two weeks clean up blown garbage at our major entrance ways ie Gateway, Yellowhead, etc.

Source of funding? At least for the downtown portion - start with using the $1.5 million or whatever it was that is going towards replacing every speed limit sign from 50 km/h to 40 km/h and leave ridiculous make work WOKE projects like that for non-COVID times.
I really don't think street sweeping and garbage pickup is the kind of "clean up" he's talking about.

Also, I wouldn't call reducing speed limits a "woke project". It's a safety-related project with pretty clear scientific backing.

I really don't think street sweeping and garbage pickup is the kind of "clean up" he's talking about.

Also, I wouldn't call reducing speed limits a "woke project". It's a safety-related project with pretty clear scientific backing.
Sure, not disputing the safety aspect or the science, but speaking for myself only, I have not avoided downtown, eating downtown, or walking to a farmers market because the speed limits are 50 and I will not change my mind because the speed limits are now 40. Likewise, I have never walked around downtown with a visitor from out of town and their comments reflected a need for a more safe 40 speed limit, but many many times have I heard about how gross it is, a sentiment I share. Is that a great project? Sure. Does it need to be done, and does it need to be done now? I strongly do not think so given the other basic problems that need addressing and a lack of revenue.

Back