News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Yeah, maybe it shouldn't be the highest priority item, but just to keep things in perspective, the 4 year capital budget for the city is $4.8 billion. The traffic sign change is a $1.1 million item, or around 1/5th of a percent.

Now I do agree that the city generally has some big flaws when it comes to effective management of budgets (just look at the ridiculous consultant spending), but succumbing to this kind "back to basics" BS and whataboutism is how a whole lot of nothing gets accomplished.

I guess my point is less about "getting back to basics" and about being able to execute the basics. Cut grass, plow streets, clean gravel and garbage out of entrance ways. The basics are table stakes, just get it done, get it done right, and fast. Does not need to be more complicated than that, or at least it shouldn't be for city admin and operations. We have the same four seasons every year, yet every year we struggle to cut the grass properly or clean streets downtown. It's not rocket science. Just get it done plain and simple.

It's not rocket science - it's simply an appetite for spending and tax increases compared to the very real financial implications of our sprawling city. Even the basics are too expensive when the vast majority of your city area is a net financial drain, and compromises have to be made somewhere. There's a pretty simple reason Montreal and Toronto do this better than us - they have comparable levels of area/infrastructure to service with a much larger tax base.

Pulling a few municipally reported numbers: Edmonton's total road infrastructure is 57% costlier than Toronto's for a third of the population. Per capita road value is about $1800 for Toronto and over $8500 for Edmonton. The per capita value of all infrastructure is over 24% higher in Edmonton, and that's including $17 billion of transit value in Toronto (it would be 37% higher here if/when we have a proportionately scaled LRT network).

We aren't Toronto, and probably won't ever be - but you can't stretch our tax base over that much infrastructure and be surprised when things start getting expensive. This is a problem that's been building for generations and has grown enormously over the last few decades - we have a huge amount of 'free' infrastructure from the late '90's and early '00's sprawl that is about to start aging out. The financial pain is just beginning, and you can't just blame whatever Council happens to be sitting in the chair when things start to get bad.

Until we get serious about density, basic services/maintenance will continue to slide (or property taxes will skyrocket) to offset the real cost of operating a sprawling city like ours.

And sprawl is not going to be solved by Edmonton council alone I don't think. It's going to require provincial forethought and cooperation from surrounding bedroom communities that have even lower density populations and can offer single family homes for less. People can still drive in to Edmonton easily enough without any cost to them in terms of their city taxes and commute times are still reasonable for people. And so Edmonton sprawls to compete and round we go.

Mike nickel blocked me after he responded to a dm and I asked questions back hahahahaha. What a joke.
Screenshot_20210417-084927_Instagram.jpg

I enjoy my chats with Mike, but some of this is a bit much... but understandable given who he is hoping to get support from.

I enjoy my chats with Mike, but some of this is a bit much... but understandable given who he is hoping to get support from.
He might be a fun guy to chat with (unless you`re talking urban development... than it must be hell), but I want him as far away from the mayor's office as possible OOOOR..... I'd gladly ship him to be Calgary`s next mayor, if they want... I'll even drive him there myself, free of charge.

He might be a fun guy to chat with (unless you`re talking urban development... than it must be hell), but I want him as far away from the mayor's office as possible OOOOR..... I'd gladly ship him to be Calgary`s next mayor, if they want... I'll even drive him there myself, free of charge.
Whoa whoa whoa, Calgary is actually turning the corner a bit right now. I mean, under Nenshi they even got bike lanes! Let's ship Nickel to Fort Mac haha, I think he'd fit right in.

Whoa whoa whoa, Calgary is actually turning the corner a bit right now. I mean, under Nenshi they even got bike lanes! Let's ship Nickel to Fort Mac haha, I think he'd fit right in.
If we ship him to Calgary maybe we have a better chance to play catch-up with them, though! I bet he'd be perfect to put a drag on their growth :D:D:D:D:D:D

"Let's build a city that works" I find it a little irritating when every politician say something like this, election after election. That statement is way too broad to be taken seriously.

Try again...

Watson has some good platform ideas, but I'm always a little wary of someone who comes into council (mainly at the mayoral level) with no experience. Much more than at other levels of government, I think it's important for a leader to have experience before stepping into a mayoral role. The way Council operates is just so different than any other professional or political environment, and I think it's pretty tough to get stuff done without a thorough understanding of how the system works.

Fair point.

Nenshi in Calgary was elected to mayor without having been on council though and ended up serving three terms and did a pretty good job - especially during his first term in the role. He was widely praised for his leadership during the 2013 flood.

With that, Bill Smith was elected here without prior council experience. I don't think he faired as well as Nenshi.

Back