News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

But it's ok to slaughter lamb, baby cow, and rabbit? Talk about a flat out hypocrite.

A little cultural bias perhaps, but come on. Unless you go into mourning robes every time you step on an insect than you are the pot calling the kettle black, my friend. End of story!

Childish anthropomorphism notwithstanding, most of us can agree that there are different levels of sentience in different species, different sized brains/nerve systems/capacities to feel, communicate and interract... so no, a dog is not a calf. Sorry!

Don't equate embracing diversity with engaging in dietary habits that contravenes Canadian law. And respect is a two way street - something you have demonstrated preciously little of from what you've said on the forum.

AoD

"Under Canada's Wildlife Act, it is illegal to sell meat from any wild species, but there is no law against selling and serving canine meat, including dogs, if it is killed and gutted in front of federal inspectors."

eating dog meat is not illegal in Canada so to speak.

People should have the right not to eat dog mean, or eat dog meat. To criticize those who do and pretend to be morally superior is simply stupid.
For a Canadian to say eating dogs is shameful is just like a Hinduist to criticize anyone who eats beef. You can't impose your own personal belief, let it be cultural or religion, on others who don't share the same.

Last edited:
A little cultural bias perhaps, but come on. Unless you go into mourning robes every time you step on an insect than you are the pot calling the kettle black, my friend. End of story!

Childish anthropomorphism notwithstanding, most of us can agree that there are different levels of sentience in different species, different sized brains/nerve systems/capacities to feel, communicate and interract... so no, a dog is not a calf. Sorry!

despite the common belief, pigs are actually smarter than dogs. I guess your theory simply doesn't fly. Sorry!

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/a-list/creature-countdowns/smartest/smartest-06.html
http://www.unleashed.org.au/animals/pigs.php

When I first saw this thread, my first reaction was "Oh @#*%, now I'm going to have to dodge more dawdling tourists", but this thread has reassured me, that with he changing demographics, that instead there will probably be less people there, and instead the crowds will move down the road to Loblaws T&T on Cherry Street, or the Humane Society at River Street, to do their groceries.

The cultural norms you mentioned in only white culture in North America. And since Canada is supposed to embraced diversity, it should respect other people's dietary habits as well.

No Canada shouldn't, I'm glad Toronto banned shark fin!!! Just because eating something exotic is a culture thing doesn't mean the rest of us should tolerate it!

What are you talking about? Do you just make up facts out of thin air? I can assure you that dog meat is taboo in Europe. The only time dog meat has been eaten in the last century has been during extreme meat shortages, ie war time. In Switzerland, the only place where dog meat is acceptable is in a small region tucked away in the mountains.
I haven't been to any non-touristy areas of Mexico, but a quick search reveals that it has not been acceptable there either for a long time. And as for India, it appears the only place it's on the menu there is in the far north-east, along China's border...

Your last comment regarding 'embracing cultural diversity' is frankly insulting. If you have any doubt that Canada is not doing enough to bend over backwards to embrace multiculturalism I will gladly stamp your passport on the way out. Multiculturalism does not mean destroying Canadian values and cultural norms to make you feel like you're still at home.

Yet, horse meat is a delicacy in Europe.

SuperStock_1566-055214.jpg

news-graphics-2007-_442642a.jpg

Mostly just in France and Italy. The difference with horse meat being however, is that horses are not bred for the sole purpose of their meat. Generally they are first used as working animals, and then are slaughtered for their meat when they are older or no longer able to work. Financially there is no benefit for a farmer to raise horses just for their meat, unlike cattle or pork. They are a very expensive animal to raise and care for.

speaking of horse meat, I just had some in little Portugal last night. not so impressed my the taste.

The best meat I had besides pork and beef etc is actually donkey meat. So delicious!

Dogs are now more sentient than cows...or what's the point here? Lots of things are taboo. Doesn't make them reprehensible or wrong. Moral high horses usually have short legs and easily stumble. I seriously don't understand the hullabaloo about nothing.

Besides, everyone knows bunnies taste the best.

speaking of horse meat, I just had some in little Portugal last night. not so impressed my the taste.

The best meat I had besides pork and beef etc is actually donkey meat. So delicious!

At least you're getting a piece of ass. Weather its horse, chicken, dog, or pig, as you already pointed out all animal slaughter in Canada have to be inspected by federal inspectors before its allowed for sale. For meat eaters like me, that's very reassuring to know our meat isn't being killed in a alley way or on the floor of a market.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a Canadian to say eating dogs is shameful is just like a Hinduist to criticize anyone who eats beef. You can't impose your own personal belief, let it be cultural or religion, on others who don't share the same.

Well, as with eating, so with anything. Thus again, I suppose that honour killing is fine and dandy...

By the way, anybody who eats meat but condemns the consumption of dogs is, in my opinion, a hypocrite. Pigs in particular have been documented to possess both cognitive abilities and sophisticated social behaviour comparable to that in dogs (by the way, I`m not basing those assertions on those vegetarian subway ads, but rather on peer-reviewed articles in scientific journals in the field of ethology). It's absolutely understandable to choose not to want to eat a dog (for sentimental reasons, I wouldn't be able to myself), but to judge cultural dietary choices on the basis of some arbitrary hierarchical ladder that places cute, companion animals above the threshold for what's considered to constitute "ethical" meat consumption smacks of prejudice. Those concerned with the ethical treatment of animals (cute or otherwise) and who choose to eat meat should instead focus their energies on condemning intensive (i.e. factory-farm) livestock husbandry practices.

Last edited:
Leeks are not the same thing as spring onions (i.e. scallions).

No, they are not. What I was talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic_chives
I doubt many Canadians have ever eaten it. The variety of vegetables typical mainstream grocery stores such as Sobey's, Loblaw's, Metro etc carry are surprisingly limited, lettuce, carrots, pepper, potato, tomato, broccoli, spinach etc., which is why I always have to shop at Asian stores for more variety (usually three times more).

Last edited:
By the way, anybody who eats meat but condemns the consumption of dogs is, in my opinion, a hypocrite.

It's not hypocritical because the issue is not black and white. In most cultures east and west dogs have been a part of human existence as companions or service animals for many thousands of years. And in western culture they are considered an extension of our humanity, by many. So our cultural bias in the west is as valid as someone in Asia thinking we're idiots because we don't like chowing down on puppies.

I agree we shouldn't eat pigs. I do (damn you bacon!) But pigs are not pets and have never been pets (except in Hollywood). And eventually I'll wean myself off pork. Another good reason not to eat pork is the amount of DNA we actually share with pigs and the small fact that pork is the meat that most closely resembles human flesh (in our diet anyway).

A bigger issue for me than the consumption of dogs is the eating of other higher mammals, like whales and dolphins. Or even primates.

It's not hypocritical because the issue is not black and white. In most cultures east and west dogs have been a part of human existence as companions or service animals for many thousands of years. And in western culture they are considered an extension of our humanity, by many. So our cultural bias in the west is as valid as someone in Asia thinking we're idiots because we don't like chowing down on puppies.

I agree we shouldn't eat pigs. I do (damn you bacon!) But pigs are not pets and have never been pets (except in Hollywood). And eventually I'll wean myself off pork. Another good reason not to eat pork is the amount of DNA we actually share with pigs and the small fact that pork is the meat that most closely resembles human flesh (in our diet anyway).

A bigger issue for me than the consumption of dogs is the eating of other higher mammals, like whales and dolphins. Or even primates.

since it is not black and white as you said, it means people should have discretion over whether it is appropriate to eat dog meat based on how they understand their relationship with dogs, right?

Asians didn't really say westerns are stupid not to eat dogs, we respect such choice. It is the westerners who seem to enjoy holding moral high grounds and condemns who do, right? One can consider dogs as something special to humans and families and another can simply deem them as one animal species. Or you think if someone put dogs and chickens in the same eatable category, it is simply "wrong"?

You seem to be prescribing a line beyond which the animals can't be eaten. But who gets to decide where the line is? Yourself? The western culture? You can't force people to feel the same about dogs as you do. As I said, nobody forces you to eat dog, nor should you condemn those who do. Live and let live, no one gets to decide what others should do, as long as it doesn't violate the law.

Back