News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm still very happy with the new bins. Tuesday was the first garbage pick-up using them. Instead of making 5 trips to take out the garbage (4 blue boxs and one green box) it was just two. Even a 75% full extra-large was easy to move, the wheels are quite well designed. And bringing them back was just one trip, rather than the usual 3.

And the porch doesn't look like a waste transfer station anymore!

Well, it seems ours was stolen. Woke up one morning and it's gone. I'm guessing the damn bottle collecting hobos took it; they have wheels, are huge, and easy to cart a small fortune worth of bottles to the store.

I don't mean to be cruel, but I'm really sick of them riffling through my recycling and trash. If I hear them I go outside and yell at them, they'll usually run off. Needless to say now I'll have to wait 3-4 weeks for a replacement, while using my old cracked bin. I know bin theft seems odd, but there's no other explanation. My neighbours sure didn't take it, and if I catch anyone on my property again going through any of my stuff, trash or not, they're getting hell.

Someone stole a brand new garbage bin ( 'twas a pretty shade of baby blue ) from my place once, the first time I put it out.

And someone stole a black garbage bag from outside my place once. They removed the garbage first ( which was in a cardboard box inside the bag ) and placed it on the sidewalk.

Life in the big city!

Yeah I don't understand the desire to steal a garbage bin. Not just the city either, my parents used to have their garbage bins stolen and defaced all the time. And this was up in the quiet country 'skirts of the GTA.

How is all this mixed recyclable material sorted anyways? EVERYTHING goes into it; is must be labor intensive at the sorting depot.

I wouldn't mind taking my stuff to a depot if they were set up to take paper, bottles. Ideally these should be in a corner of a park perhaps. They wouldn't need to be attended. I already do this with my unused paint, tires (last set lasted 8 years folks:) ).

There are sorting facilities. They've always had to sort stuff anyway. Not everybody puts their recyclables into the correct containers.

Wikipedia says:

Sorting

Once commingled recyclates are collected and delivered to a central collection facility, the different types of materials must be sorted. This is done in a series of stages, many of which involve automated processes such that a truck-load of material can be fully sorted in less than an hour.

Initially, the commingled recyclates are removed from the collection vehicle and placed on a conveyor belt spread out in a single layer. Large pieces of cardboard and plastic bags are removed by hand at this stage, as they can cause later machinery to jam.

Next, automated machinery separates the recyclates by weight, splitting lighter paper and plastic from heavier glass and metal. Cardboard is removed from the mixed paper and the most common types of plastic (PET and HDPE) are collected. This separation is usually done by hand, but has become automated in some sorting centres: a spectroscopic scanner is used to differentiate between different types of paper and plastic based on the absorbed wavelengths, and subsequently divert each material into the proper collection channel.

Strong magnets are used to separate out ferrous metals (tin-plated or steel cans), while non-ferrous metals are ejected by "magnetic eddy currents". A rotating magnetic field induces an electric current around the aluminum cans, which in turn creates a magnetic eddy current inside the cans. This magnetic eddy current is repulsed by the large magnetic field, and the cans are ejected from the rest of the recyclate stream.

Finally, glass must be sorted by hand based on its color: brown, amber, green or clear.

Don't you just love the internet? Not too long ago, if you wanted an answer to a question like that, you'd have to know somebody in the field or you'd have to go to a library and hope to find a current book on the subject. :rolleyes:

There are sorting facilities. They've always had to sort stuff anyway. Not everybody puts their recyclables into the correct containers.

Wikipedia says:

Don't you just love the internet? Not too long ago, if you wanted an answer to a question like that, you'd have to know somebody in the field or you'd have to go to a library and hope to find a current book on the subject. :rolleyes:

Wow, there's a procedure for everything.:) Thanks MetroMan.

Myself, I live in Cabbagetown, and I love the new medium sized blue bin. I always hated lugging several small blue bins down the driveway or through the house. Now I keep the big bin by the back gate in my backyard, and simply chuck my recycling into the bin. When the day comes, I open my gate, roll the bin down the driveway, open my next gate, and simple as that, my recycling is at the curb. It's perfect. I will equally welcome the big garbage cans this autumn.

The reason you're not upset by the new system is that you have a gate and you can roll the bin to the curb. But what about the others who live in Cabbagetown and other old neighbourhoods who do not have access to their backyard from their front yard? The only way for me to get a bin from the back to the front would be through my kitchen, dining room, and living room. I couldn't carry the bin when it was half full, and the idea of carrying or rolling a wet and muddy blue bin over my good hardwood and carpet is not going to happen.

My front yard is only about 15 feet deep. The bin will not fit vertically on the front steps as it is too tall and towers over the railing. It won't fit at the bottom of the steps as the curved path is not level and the bin will topple, not to mention that I couldn't squeeze past it anywhere.

I've called the city for a home inspection but although the problem is evident, they only leave messages saying we came when you weren't home (duh, we all have to work) and since you weren't home we couldn't figure out what the problem is. Must be visually challenged.

Oh well, the bin will continue to sit out front empty. I'd gladly take a bin of the same that was short and fat that could hide better on my front steps. I'd also take 2 smaller bins. Or I'd carry my recycling to the end of the street and put it in a central container. Or I'd use the existing boxes which I carry up from the basement and then wipe down so I can carry them back down without making a mess. I'd even use blue bags if that was the only option. But this SUV of a bin doesn't fit for everybody, so stop telling us to be quiet.

I'm having the same problem, I have a front stoop so there is no place to keep this in front of the house... It's either dragged through my house or left on the sidewalk, I can't wait for winter!

Who can we call to have the problem looked at?

This morning I noticed that each bin has a unique number. When they introduced similar "wheelie bins" in Britain a few years ago some local councils had microchip tracking devices embedded in them in order to catch recycling miscreants.

Ok, some help would be appreciated.

I ordered by grey bin online, and then tossed my order card (with account #) afterwards. Today I realized I ordered the wrong size, and need to upgrade from a small to a medium. How do I do this?

It seems as though you need your account # for all three ways of ordering (web, phone, post). The FAQ doesn't even include an "I lost my order card" entry.

I ordered by grey bin online, and then tossed my order card (with account #) afterwards. Today I realized I ordered the wrong size, and need to upgrade from a small to a medium. How do I do this?

It seems as though you need your account # for all three ways of ordering (web, phone, post). The FAQ doesn't even include an "I lost my order card" entry.

Call them and speak to a live voice. It happened to me and they just verify address and name.

Your waste and water are on the same account. Find the 9 digit account # on your water bill. The 11 digit client # is not used.

Back