News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Did anyone else not receive their new blue bin? My neighbour and I, we both share 18 steps from the sidewalk to the front of our house. All our neighbours around us got one except us. I put out the recycling this morning in blue plastic bags and the fellas took them. I've tried to call customer service but the line is busy. I'll stick to the status quo for now.

Did anyone else not receive their new blue bin? My neighbour and I, we both share 18 steps from the sidewalk to the front of our house. All our neighbours around us got one except us. I put out the recycling this morning in blue plastic bags and the fellas took them. I've tried to call customer service but the line is busy. I'll stick to the status quo for now.
I wouldn't worry yet. I'm east of Coxwell, and while the large and larges came about 2.5 weeks ago, the extra-larges came about 1.5 weeks ago, and the medium's came 2 days ago (which explains why I'd seen few - I'd say that most are large, but there's about an equal number of medium and extra-large).

They seem to be working sort of east to west - I'd give it a couple of weeks before you worry.

Yeah it appears that most of us have large around here too. So far we've been filling ours up between half and two thirds by pickup. So I think I could've settled for the medium ..

We only filled our blue bin up halfway too and it was nearly impossible to wrestle it off the porch to the curb.

Aren't we going to have to PAY based on the size of the bins we have been given or is that just going to be for the garbage bins the City is planning on delivering to our doors?

If that is the case we'd better be adamant about getting the size of bin we actually require instead of letting the City force us to take whatever size they deliver.

We only filled our blue bin up halfway too and it was nearly impossible to wrestle it off the porch to the curb.

Aren't we going to have to PAY based on the size of the bins we have been given or is that just going to be for the garbage bins the City is planning on delivering to our doors?

If that is the case we'd better be adamant about getting the size of bin we actually require instead of letting the City force us to take whatever size they deliver.

I'm quite sure you had a chance to choose your size beforehand.

Downgrading can be done free of cost.

I'm quite sure you had a chance to choose your size beforehand.

Downgrading can be done free of cost.

We chose the medium size one - but the one that was delivered is too big - except for may once or twice in a year. Nobody knows if we are paying based on the size of our bin?

We chose the medium size one - but the one that was delivered is too big - except for may once or twice in a year. Nobody knows if we are paying based on the size of our bin?

No, you are not paying based on the size of your recycling bin. That will only apply to the garbage bins.

And if the City delivered the wrong size bin, have you called them to arrange an exchange?

Behemoth bins changing the 'hood

Apr 18, 2008 04:30 AM
Antonia Zerbisias TheStar.com

It was a windy Wednesday this week when my neighbours and I wheeled our monster recycling bins for the first time to, well, wherever we could squeeze them on the sidewalk.

In the olden days, a few gusts hitting our old overflowing blue boxes and haphazard piles of newspapers, pizza boxes and junk mail would leave the road covered in litter.

You can always hear those egg cartons clattering along the street on a day like this.

Recycling day is always a mess, even when there is no breeze.

But not so much this week.

Sure, we're all complaining about the monster bins.

I ordered up the largest size, big enough to hold all the bodies of the city politicians and bureaucrats who thought they'd be a boon to old Toronto neighbourhoods. That's because I subscribe to three dailies and fanatically shred everything with my name and/or address on it.

I used to recycle a lot of water bottles but I gave up buying them a couple of years ago. All that extra plastic suddenly struck me as supremely Earth-hostile and I was getting concerned about chemicals leeching into the water.

Now the only time I buy water is at the movies because I have yet to find a popcorn stand where they'll just pour you some water into a paper cup or a bottle you tucked in your purse.

Now I am tossing that bottle because it contains Bisphenol-A (BPA).

Anyway, we all managed to inaugurate our new dumpsters with relatively little trouble, although most of us were wondering about December.

We had no sidewalks all last winter. Come next blizzard, what little space there is for pedestrians between the snowbanks and the parked cars would be occupied by these hulks.

The good news is, on Wednesday, there was almost no Styrofoam flotsam, no polystyrene jetsam crushed along the curb.

Oh sure, some people rebelled and used their old blue or grey boxes. Others simply didn't have room for everything in the default-sized medium bins. This meant, of course, that the charming children of Earl Grey School up the street would find the excess, as usual, and take out their preteen hostility on it by drop-kicking stray cans and milk cartons at each other.

But all in all – and please don't kill me for saying this – recycling day was all right.

Except for one thing.

Her.

I don't know her name. I only know that she always comes around mid-morning, after we've hauled our stuff to the street and before the trucks have passed.

She always has what strikes me as a furtive and embarrassed look as she paws through the bins picking out the booze bottles, good for nickels and dimes when she returns them to the Beer Store.

We Riverdalers can't be bothered, I guess.

Middle-aged and neatly groomed, she can't be doing this for fun, scavenging through our peanut butter jars, looking for empty bottles of pinot grigio at 20 cents a pop.

That's why I always made a point of leaving my empties at the top of my recyclables, separate, where she could easily find them.

But now it's different.

With this new system, everything is a jumble. And the bins are deep. Most of their contents will always be more than an arm's length away. If she were to reach down, the damn things could topple.

She doesn't look as if she could handle that. Which could explain why her bundle buggy seemed emptier than usual on Wednesday.

Maybe there really was something left in the bins' wake after all.

Human debris, blown off by the winds of change.

Antonia Zerbisias is a Living section columnist. azerbisias@thestar.ca. She blogs at thestar.blogs.com.

Enough about the freaking bins! There's more to this city than Cabbagetown, Riverdale and anywhere else where large bins are troublesome due to on-street parking and/or limited storage options or backyard access. The vast majority of houses in this city with easy access to backyards, garages or alleys will be well served by the big bins. Those have challenges will have to quit whining, find a solution and deal with it.

Myself, I live in Cabbagetown, and I love the new medium sized blue bin. I always hated lugging several small blue bins down the driveway or through the house. Now I keep the big bin by the back gate in my backyard, and simply chuck my recycling into the bin. When the day comes, I open my gate, roll the bin down the driveway, open my next gate, and simple as that, my recycling is at the curb. It's perfect. I will equally welcome the big garbage cans this autumn.

If I see one more article written by a downtowner speaking as if he/she speaks for all homeowners in the city, I will...well, I don't know what I'll do. What I can say, is that the vast majority of neighbourhoods I know in this city will have no trouble using the bins, including Leaside, Beach(es), East York, Bloor West, etc. The city didn't consider if Cabbagetown could use these bins because Cabbagetown is not representative of how housing in this city is designed, which is why Cabbagetown is special in its own way.

Progress?

northfromporch.jpg

I had the chance to observe the new recycle and green bin pickup system in action today. The photo of my street looking north from my porch shows all the bins properly positioned, no parked cars and lot widths probably averaging less than 30 feet, an optimum situation. Let's see how it worked out.

There are 16 pickup locations in view on my side of the street, the crew pulled up to the first location at 3:23 pm and pulled away from the last one at 3:40 pm. Let's average it out to 60 seconds per pickup, curiously, the old inefficient method of getting it done was less than 20 seconds. How's that for progress?

The vehicle was a rear loader with separate compartments for recycling and kitchen goop and fitted with a small mechanical lift for the big bins. The crew was a driver, a passenger and a guy on the ground who had to wheel the bins out behind the truck in order to position them in front of the lift and then return them to the driveway. In fairness it was late in the day and the truck was likely pretty full and required compacting more often than usual.

we usually dont put out our large recycling bin unitil it is full, I believe that the city mentioned to do this in the brochure, that way the crews dont have to always stop at every house

Behemoth bins changing the 'hood
Human debris, blown off by the winds of change.

I saw that in the Star and thought, oh brother, only the Star could make the city's changes to recycling out to be a smack against the homeless and downtrodden. If they want the returns, they'll have to dig for them.

Yes, now recycling has been cast as anti-human due to the horrors of the inaccessible bin.

We Riverdalers can't be bothered, I guess.

Nice touch Antonia, blame everyone.

Sadly, many people buy too easily into these guilt trips. No wonder the sales of anti-depressants are so high.

Back