News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I am in London at this time and all the bus stops have vending machines. You put your money into them and will be given a card to show the driver that you paid your fare. We have a 6 zone card for the week that allows us use to buses, rail, tube and trams in those zones. The machine is like a paper box, but thinner.

I am wait to see what is plan for TTC as there will be always riders paying cash to use transit, as well cost.

If London "Can" have vending machines at all stops, no reason reason TTC cannot just like VIVA has done. VIVA is over kill.

In the train stations, machines are built into the wall or are stand alone to buy a card to be used getting threw the gates at both end of your trip.There is staff at the gate to help you if you have problems with the card. This also applies to the tube system and will get a video showing how easy to use it.

Up in Glasgow and Edinburgh, its the same thing. On the buses, driver accept cash fare and issue you either a daypass or a transfer.

Viewing the new Edinburgh LRT line, its is a true LRT line as the stops are more than a mile apart outside the city core and and a but 3/4 of a mile in the city core in the centre of the road.

Due to a major landslide and flooding on both side of Newcastle, my train had to return to Edinburgh 2 hours after I left. The other haft had to get herself from the airport to the hotel the following day at 7am, as I was leaving on an 6 hour train ride with over 200 standees.

That night I ended up talking to a person in charge of the nighttime work and he confirm my suspicion that 4 blocks of the new tram tracks were going to open on Friday for the city centre area, but more like the weekend. 2014 is when the first tram will run, even though the fleet is sitting at the new carhouse out by the airport.

We are getting LRT equipment, but the system will be a streetcar/tram system unless stops are remove. Even then, the system will not be a true LRT system. St Clair would be an light LRT line due to traffic lights issues. Eglinton would be a more true LRT in the centre area, but still an light LRT elsewhere.

My view at this time.

They're both LRT vehicles, but the Legacy Network is not an LRT operating environment.

The reality is that you could use the Legacy Network Streetcars (assuming they were standard gauge) on almost any low-floor LRT system in the world and they would work just fine (assuming compatible power systems, which has nothing to do with whether it's a streetcar or an LRT).

Same could be said about putting our streetcars on our subway tracks, and our subways on our streetcar tracks. They both use the same gauge, and someone mentioned that we actually moved our first subway trains to the Davisville yard via the streetcar tracks.

Obviously there are differences, such as power supply and turning radius which keep us from substituting our trains with trams and vice-versa, but the point is that the actual difference between the two "technologies" has more to do with operating environment and characteristics than any physical standard. For the most part, rail is rail. Subways, metros, LRT, heavy rail, etc. are concepts attached to their operation rather than actual technological differences.

Then run just one train on Sheppard.

They really should. If Sheppard East was using high floor vehicles like in Calgary, then the only thing stopping them from running a single train would be the tunnel height for the overhead wires. Even that obstacle could be overcome by using dual mode trains which are also compatible with third rails, battery back up, or other solutions which would require little renovation to the existing structure.

Same could be said about putting our streetcars on our subway tracks, and our subways on our streetcar tracks. They both use the same gauge, and someone mentioned that we actually moved our first subway trains to the Davisville yard via the streetcar tracks.

Obviously there are differences, such as power supply and turning radius which keep us from substituting our trains with trams and vice-versa, but the point is that the actual difference between the two "technologies" has more to do with operating environment and characteristics than any physical standard. For the most part, rail is rail. Subways, metros, LRT, heavy rail, etc. are concepts attached to their operation rather than actual technological differences.

Actually, they did.

They took old PCC streetcars...

4349_jbf_2.jpg

...and converted them into rail grinding cars for the subway...

subway-5510-06.jpg

we should do that one day just for the photos... come up with some stupid excuse like saying they needed to be moved on the tracks to get to a place to be removed.

it probably is within the realm of possibility, but it would never happen. when they switched streets, if they were 40m long it would take the whole friggin light for them to turn. It would make more gridlock than it would relieve if they were to extend them.

it probably is within the realm of possibility, but it would never happen. when they switched streets, if they were 40m long it would take the whole friggin light for them to turn. It would make more gridlock than it would relieve if they were to extend them.

The average length of a car is about 4.74 meters carrying 1.3 people. Not counting the buffer space between vehicles.

The light rail vehicles will be about 30 meters (+10 meters buffer spaces?) with 70± seats (not counting standees). Of course, trains of two or three cars would carry more.

To carry the same seated number of people in one light rail vehicle you will need appropriately 53 automobiles and 255 meters of road space. Not including the required parking spaces needed at their destination.

Guess which causes the congestion?

Back