News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

A low-floor light-rail vehicle has no physical axle connection between the wheels or trucks to accommodate the low-floor. There maybe wiring or hydraulic connection to "tell" the wheels that we are turning at a track switch. Most new light-rail systems use the double-point switch to guide the wheels. Currently, the TTC streetcar had been using single-point switches.
When I last remembered to look down at the switches on the St. Clair right-of-way at Bathurst and Vaughan, or at Dundas West Station, I thought I saw only single-point switches.
Are the switches on Dundas Street that were re-constructed in 2007 single-point or double-point switches?
What kind of switches are being placed at St. Clair West and Lansdowne?
Does this mean we will have to dig up the "new" single-point switches and replace them double-point switches in a few years? Couldn't we put in double-point switches now?

The requirement of the LRT contract is that the cars must be compatible with the existing network. How the manufacturers do this is up to them. This means the price of each vehicle will go up, but we won't have to rebuild the network and we won't have to deal with the economic loss to business that comes with digging up all the streets.

This is one good looking LRV...

Flexity.jpg
WTF! I like this one even better than the Siemens bid. Why is Bombardier offering Toronto the ugliest possible model in their lineup?

They're not; the mock-up was just one example. What they're actually offering is much closer to the image above; there's a Bombardier billboard at Queen and Portland (or at least there was) showing something very similar.

Thanks. That's great news.

I thought the models at the Exhibition and Dundas Square over the summer from Minneapolis were Bombardier's final design, with some changes to the seat layout, since it was most compatible with our landscape, but the body was designed like a tupperware SUV. I wonder why they would even risk potentially damaging their bid by showing that model to everyone?

What a relief!

I understood the same thing as grey did- that Bombardiers entree to the streetcar competition was based upon the Minneapolis model- primarily due to the snow issues this city has to deal with. The image shown DOES look a lot better than what was originally shown at Dundas Sq. last summer, but might have problems due to its seriously low body? Also, I believe Graz and Linz in Austria already use this streetcar:

Linz:
040309_strassenbahn_1.jpg

Graz:
graz3.jpg

Although I like the designs, one thing I'm worried about is the small space we give to streetcar platforms. Loops like the one at Broadview and Dundas West stations were built to handle 3 CLRVs, and there isn't much room for expansion. And Broadview is not the worst; how will we accommodate these lengthy new streetcars in underground loops like Spadina, let alone at Union station?

I have to agree.. the Spadina Station loop is horribly deficient already, especially when two or three streetcars arrive at the same time. However, if the new streetcars come with more and wider doors, no steps, and hopefully better interior circulation, maybe loading times will be improved.

TTC contract for new streetcars must include Canadian content
Last Updated: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 | 9:28 AM ET
CBC News

The TTC has opened bidding on one of the largest municipal purchases in Toronto history — a contract for 250 new streetcars that could eventually
be worth more than $3 billion.

to-streetcars-101807.jpg

The TTC has opened the bidding process to replace many of its aging streetcars. (Gary Graves/CBC)

TTC chair Adam Giambrone said one quarter of all the new vehicles will be made in Canada.

"We would like to have made it higher," he said Monday. "We are committed under a national transit strategy to raise that number over time to get it as high as possible and protect Canadian jobs."

But transit advocates say rather than save jobs, the Canadian content regulation will limit the number of bidders.

Daniel Hammond, a transit advocate, questions the bidding process that he said clearly favours Montreal-based Bombardier over other manufacturers.

He said the TTC should be looking to get the best deal for taxpayers and its riders.

"As taxpayers and transit riders in Toronto, we have to seriously question what the motives of our commissioners are. Are they looking after our interests?"

But organized labour says exactly the opposite.

The 25 per cent made-in-Canada regulation just isn't high enough, according to John Cartwright of the Toronto and York Labour Council, which represents almost 200,000 unionized workers in the GTA.

Cartwright also said labour is worried that Canadian manufacturers like Bombardier could outsource much of the work, even assemble the streetcars in another country, and still make that limit.

The TTC hopes to award the contract later this year and take delivery of its first new streetcars in two years.

Although I like the designs, one thing I'm worried about is the small space we give to streetcar platforms. Loops like the one at Broadview and Dundas West stations were built to handle 3 CLRVs, and there isn't much room for expansion. And Broadview is not the worst; how will we accommodate these lengthy new streetcars in underground loops like Spadina, let alone at Union station?

You can put 2 new LRT's into Spadina now. One loading and one off loading.

The loops will become a problem if you maintain the current headways.

As for Union, you can put 4 in the revise loop plan. One loading and unloading at the same time on both sides of the loop. The only problem, it will not meet the capacity loads that it will see within the next 15 years when all the new lines are up and running.

If Metrolinx builds the new bus terminal on the Commissioners land, this should be the location of the LRT hub for the Waterfront network. You need something that is going to handle 10,000-20,000 riders at peak time and Union can only handle 8,200 when rebuilt as plan. A little further to walk to the subway or to the core.

As for platforms, the goal is to get 3m where possible and that what plan for the Cherry St LRT. Anything less than is will have issues if you get more than one stroller on the platform that are larger going in opposite directions, let alone scooters. The new platforms on St Clair can only handle one at a time as they ended up been a saw off for traffic lanes and the ROW. If the traffic lanes were reduce in width as well removing a turning lane, the you can get the 3m platforms.

The 3m is to be looked at for the 2 Queens Quay lines at this time.

Well done, nice pic. They can't get these new LRV's soon enough. They will start coming in 2010, is that right?

No, the first 2 prototypes are to show up for testing with some of them arriving in 11, and 26 per year until the 204 order is finish. Needs to be 280 just to meet TTC needs just for existing routes/service.

2 will be need for 514 when it start service in 2010 and 7 for 523 in 2011

Back