News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What is the latest on the financing on that? It was due November, I've lost track of that. ST only complicates things anyway. I

How quickly we lose track of the details, eh? Such a blur.

City Council last gave its direction re ST on November 8 2016. At that time, the project approval was described via a series of gates. Gate #2 is complete.
Gate #3, which was the gate approved in November, is to proceed with detailed design and EA preparation.
The next gate, which is
"Approve draft Environmental Project Report and give notice to proceed to TPAP", is Q3 2017.
The following Gate, which is
"Approval of Procurement Process and Capital Construction Budget" is Q2 2018.

Staff have the authority to negotiate with ML and others re costs, but the reportback to Council and approval point for the funding isn't until Gate 5, or Q2 2018.

EDIT: Actually, they have to report back on potential funding sources with the Q3 2017 report.
29. City Council direct the Deputy City Manager and Chief Financial Officer to:

a. advance the development of the capital funding and financing strategy for SmartTrack, consisting of a combination of municipal tax increment, development charges, tax-supported debt financing, and other potential revenue sources such as asset sales;

b. engage capital market and legal consulting expertise in assessing the appropriate debt structure for financing the SmartTrack project; and

c. report back to Council with the implementation of this recommended strategy once the capital cost estimates have been refined to a Class 3 level and Council confirms its definitive commitment to the project.

In political space, that gives Council a whole further year of grandstanding, bickering, circling back, and deferring taking a stand before they have to talk seriously about how to find money for ST.

The timeline for Eglinton West LRT is at least a year further down the road.

- Paul

Last edited:
So if RER wont be up until 2024 would that mean that Smart Track is dead if Tory told his wife he will only do two terms. Why anyone thought this stuff was going to happen is beyond me. I guess people like to hope.

It will happen so long as the provincial government remains committed - as it stands now ST is just RER anyways.

AoD

What is the latest on the financing on that? It was due November, I've lost track of that. ST only complicates things anyway. It's RER we've got to hold the Grits to. And agreed, some form of it will happen, even if just a single leg. It's got to be *something*. There's more than enough in the fridge to cook something up. Hungry mouths don't mind Spanish Omelettes at all, and the fact that it's leftovers makes it that much better.

Is it just me, or does Tory hardly mention SmartTrack anymore? At the beginning of his term, I recall that he would constantly talk about building SmartTrack. Now I seldom hear anything about SmartTrack from the mayor. Is he making an intentional effort to deemphasise and move away from the proposal?

If true, I suspect that the mayor does not believe that he has the votes on Council to get what remains of SmartTrack's RER component approved. More than $700 Million municipal dollars for a plan that amounts to nothing more than a few more provincially owned GO stations wouldve been contentious at Council.

Is it just me, or does Tory hardly mention SmartTrack anymore? At the beginning of his term, I recall that he would constantly talk about building SmartTrack. Now I seldom hear anything about SmartTrack from the mayor. Is he making an intentional effort to deemphasise and move away from the proposal?

If true, I suspect that the mayor does not believe that he has the votes on Council to get what remains of SmartTrack's RER component approved. More than $700 Million municipal dollars for a plan that amounts to nothing more than a few more provincially owned GO stations wouldve been contentious at Council.

Well, all the activity is now in the hands of staff, and there is nothing that he needs Council to rally around at this moment. Nor is there any "result" due shortly that he can take credit for.

So it makes sense that he not beat the topic to death. I suspect that he will ramp up again as it gets closer to the point where there is a design product to look at.

Besides, if he mentions it right now, the immediate reaction will be "So how do you intend to pay for it?". He probably doesn't want to answer that question right now (not that he ever actually had a credible answer......)

- Paul

How quickly we lose track of the details, eh? Such a blur.

City Council last gave its direction re ST on November 8 2016. At that time, the project approval was described via a series of gates. Gate #2 is complete.
Gate #3, which was the gate approved in November, is to proceed with detailed design and EA preparation.
The next gate, which is
"Approve draft Environmental Project Report and give notice to proceed to TPAP", is Q3 2017.
The following Gate, which is
"Approval of Procurement Process and Capital Construction Budget" is Q2 2018.

Staff have the authority to negotiate with ML and others re costs, but the reportback to Council and approval point for the funding isn't until Gate 5, or Q2 2018.

EDIT: Actually, they have to report back on potential funding sources with the Q3 2017 report.

In political space, that gives Council a whole further year of grandstanding, bickering, circling back, and deferring taking a stand before they have to talk seriously about how to find money for ST.

The timeline for Eglinton West LRT is at least a year further down the road.

- Paul
Holy Moly...I'm kinda sorry I asked, that more than makes the point, even Kafka would be taken aback at that...

lol...Grand Unified Theory of Smart Track (or is it merely a hologram?)

I cant believe we cant use the SRT corridor for a Subway to STC because of RER and SMART TRACK when they are so far off and might never get off the ground.

The problem here is that it is unpalatable to run shuttle buses to replace the SRT while the replacement is being built. Politically and practically.

Regional Express Rail Smart Track Correspondence (henceforth labelled as RER/ST)?

AoD
Since we're discussing "Hollowgrams" (sic) and "Pulling Strings Theory"...this is of note:
"Simulations back up theory that Universe is a hologram"
[...]
Nevertheless, says Maldacena, the numerical proof that these two seemingly disparate worlds are actually identical gives hope that the gravitational properties of our Universe can one day be explained by a simpler cosmos purely in terms of quantum theory. [...]
http://www.nature.com/news/simulations-back-up-theory-that-universe-is-a-hologram-1.14328

I'm looking for Kouvalis in the credits, but can't see him....

Edit to Add: OK, I think I'm getting it more now: One must *believe* that ST will happen for it to do so, for where there's no faith, there's no politics.

Last edited:
Is there a study or speculation on how the province would benefit (or unlikely not) from not "leasing" the 407 in 1999? Would the province be better off facing debt but having a reliable source of income? Would it have funded today's transit?

None of it makes sense. The SRT should be retained with upgraded train sets. Divert that subway money to the DRL. Get RER in place right away, but retain ST as a subset of it for no other reason than to run it as a surface subway within the core that has a more TTC-like fare structure, and definitely cheaper than GO.

TTC fare inspectors earned 114 rider complaints last year

From link:

Himel Khandker was infuriated when TTC fare inspectors stopped him on the 501 Queen streetcar last month and gave him a $235 ticket.

It wasn’t just the cost of the fine, which is no small amount for the 25-year-old biomedical engineering student. In part what bothered him was that he had paid for a student Metropass. He showed it to the inspectors, but he didn’t have the required TTC student ID.

The ticket stung, but what really aggravated him was that just two hours later, he watched as inspectors confronted two women on the 504 King streetcar who he said didn’t have proof of payment. According to Khandker, one claimed she had dropped her transfer, while the other had one that was expired.

He was sure he was about to watch them get ticketed, but was incredulous when the inspectors let both off with a warning.

“I was kind of livid,” said Khandker. “Why is the enforcement not uniform?”

He began to wonder why he had been ticketed while others got off. “I’m a brown guy with a big beard. I’m a student, I don’t look like I’m a million bucks. Does that have anything to do with it? I wonder,” he asked.

The TTC launched its proof-of-payment program on streetcars in late 2015, and after a period of “education,” the agency is ramping up enforcement, bringing inspectors into increasing contact with transit riders. Some, like Khandker, have questions about what the TTC is doing to ensure the inspectors treat customers fairly.

Mark Cousins, head of the TTC’s transit enforcement unit, said the agency takes such concerns seriously and that inspectors never target certain groups.

“We don’t just inspect certain individuals based on how they look,” he said.

He says the agency employs rigorous oversight of its inspectors, a key part of which is keeping a close track of public complaints.

Citing privacy concerns, the TTC declined to share details of any of the cases. But asked for an example of a human rights complaint, Paul Manherz, the TTC human resources investigator, said that in one instance an inspector was accused of unintentionally referring to a transgender rider by the incorrect gender.

Manherz is required to investigate and produce a report within 60 days of receiving a complaint.

Last year he determined that just one of the formal complaints was substantiated. In that instance, he found that an inspector shared a rider’s personal information with another employee of the agency.

According to agency spokesperson Brad Ross “appropriate disciplinary action was taken” against the employee. He wouldn’t specify, but possible discipline ranges from a verbal warning to termination of employment.

Given that the TTC conducted almost 2.3 million inspections last year, a little more than 100 complaints is a good record, said Cousins.

He said that the agency’s 72 inspectors are instructed to treat each potential fare evader on a case by case basis and evaluate their explanations on “reasonableness and believability.”

“If you stop someone and the story that they tell seems reasonable” then they may get off with a warning, Cousins said.

That was the outcome in the majority of cases last year. Inspectors handed out 58,638 written or verbal warnings, compared to 12,801 fines.

Cousins said the agency is conscious of the potential for discrimination, which is why inspectors undergo six to seven days of training on diversity, inclusion and mental health issues.

Aside from the fact the TTC estimates fare evasion costs $20 million a year in lost revenue, Cousins said the agency has no incentive to ticket riders aggressively. Inspectors are not given quotas, and the TTC doesn’t keep the revenue from the fines.

Ross, the TTC spokesperson, had a message for anyone wondering why they get a ticket while another rider may not: “Today’s your turn, tomorrow it will be somebody else’s.”

If we just follow the regulations concerning fares, maybe there would be less complaints. And the TTC would actually get the needed revenue.

Mayor says city budget contains $80M in new money for cash-strapped TTC
John Tory handed flyers to commuters on Monday to explain new transit investments

From link.

Toronto Mayor John Tory said the city will allocate an additional $80 million to the cash-strapped Toronto Transit Commission in its 2017 budget.

Tory, who made the announcement at Broadview station on Monday, said the new money means the city will spend more on the TTC than it ever has in the transit system's history.

"The number one priority for Toronto residents continues to be help that we can give them moving about the city more easily," Tory said at the start of morning rush hour.

"It's essential to our way of life, it connects people to opportunity, and it's something that we have to focus on after decades of neglect."

TTC budget pegged at $1.95B

Tory said he wanted to ensure that riders know the budget, which will be voted on by council on Wednesday, actually increases funding for the transit system.

According to the TTC's chief financial and administration officer Vincent Rodo, the money is the "largest single year increase" in TTC history.

The TTC and its Wheel-Trans service will have an operating budget of $1.95 billion if approved by council.

Tory said the new money is welcome news for the transit system. He handed out flyers at the station and talked to commuters to promote the increase in funding.

2.6% budget cut not implemented

Tory said the new money means funding one million more Wheel-Trans rides, finishing the rollout of the Presto system, opening the subway extension to York University, and continuing work on the one-stop Scarborough subway expansion.

It also means running 800 subway cars, 200 streetcars and 1,900 buses to carry 544 million riders this year, buying 783 new buses and upgrading signals on Line 1 to ensure subway trains on that line can run more frequently and with fewer stoppages.

And it means continuing to open the subway earlier on Sundays and continuing to allow children 12 and under to ride free on the TTC.

Tory acknowledged that he asked the TTC last year, along with every other city department, to find 2.6 per cent in savings in its budget. But he said the savings were "proposals" and not implemented in the TTC's case.

"We realized, when we saw the list, that sure, there were things that you could do but we chose not to do them," Tory said.

Toronto Coun. Josh Colle, TTC chair and who accompanied Tory to Broadview station, said the new money should be good news for the TTC's "very patient and loyal" customers.

"As you know, the TTC is under serious transformation right now," Colle said.

"It will make the system look like a new one to all of us, with a new Presto system, revitalized stations that are accessible, expansion of Wheels-Trans, 70 new streetcars, opening of a new subway, the first since 2002, which is good news for all riders," he said.

"With these improvements, the customer experience should improve for everyone and that's the goal of all this."

$80 million? It's actually not a lot for a big operation like the TTC, considering the Lotto Max last week was $60 million.

Last edited:

Back