News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Reading that transcript of the debate, what's with all the booing towards Smitherman? Seems to only be directed at him, thus far.

Smitherman: "In a city as big and sophisticated as Toronto, there is room for a discussion about..." gets cut off by booing and jeering.
Smitherman: Wish I could hear what he's saying, but there's too much booing and jeering.
Smitherman: "I support the implementation of the Sheppard LRT." Lots of booing and jeering, cheering and shouts of disagreement.

^ Rossi encouraged his supporters to travel to the venue to support him, which he was asked specifically not to do by the event organisers so that local people could attend the meeting. I believe Smitherman was also guilty of this but I could be wrong. At any rate, Rossi and his campaign team seem to think the path to victory is through defeat of Smitherman, so they're hitting him as hard as they can.

Lack of mainstream coverage of this debate is disappointing. No television, radio, or webstream? I hope the next ones don't follow this trend. When are the next debates, anyways?

Lack of mainstream coverage of this debate is disappointing. No television, radio, or webstream? I hope the next ones don't follow this trend. When are the next debates, anyways?

There likely won't be live coverage until the fall, hopefully when they are down to 3 or 4 frontrunners. At this point the coverage was actually pretty good.

Also, as for filling up rooms - since 99.9% of people see this debate through the media last thing you want is a room toxic to your candidate. If you want local people to attend, set aside 100 spots and check ids for those spots. Think about it, if Sarah Thompson had stacked the room and people cheered her subway and road tolls thing then perhaps the media would push her to the top of the article, maybe use her photo in the paper.

Last edited:
Well, in the defence of the suburbians, it was obvious that they felt neglected by this administration. Flip the table, wound't you be angry if all of downtown tax dollars was going to suburbia projects?

Definately got heated, and interesting, when the shots started flying ,.

I am a Scarborough resident, I just don't have the 'traditional' suburban mentality of ignoring everything that isnt about the neighbours, the lawn, or how many gas guzzlers to own. The opponents of the Sheppard LRT at that meeting dont really want a subway, they just want to preserve their traffic lanes and parking lot dependant plazas.

Sheppard LRT deserves to be booed. Both Smitherman and Rossi had accomanying them a throng of sycophants. Sarah Thomson is the only candidate speaking a modicum of truth in this election, but unfortunately honesty doesn't sell copy.

I did an admittedly unscientific poll amongst older folks who don't know how government works and vote based on popularity or with some other measurement unrelated to performance and ideology and a large majority are leaning towards Rossi!

I debated one of my friends' mom just now and she was furious about Miller. She couldn't tell me anything with substance to back that up but she was still furious. When I listed some of his major accomplishments, she just nodded it off.

I'm generally optimistic, but there's no use: our next Mayor will be elected on popularity and name recognition, not on his/her platform.

Quite. So far, the only pro-Ford propaganda I've seen was a bumper sticker on a car....in Ajax.

peeon_ford.jpg

did it look like this?

Back