News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

And maintaining Canada's place as the only G8 member nation without a national transit strategy shows his strong preference for Bus Rapid Transit.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with bus rapid transit. It's not sexy but it works. For the love of God, let's just get SOMETHING started. Dedicated lane buses are a hell of a lot better than sweet FA, which is what we're possibly facing now. I don't believe we will ever have another subway line in Toronto. It's too expensive. I don't know how other jurisdictions fund it, but I think we should give up on it and look at other options. I'm fine with Transit City, but I really don't care if it's streetcars or buses or monorails or gondolas. Let's just effing get GOING ON IT!

Sounds like Rossi has withdrawn from the race!

‘City hall has left God,’ Rossi declares
Mayoral candidates open to faith groups taking a bigger role in city affairs

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tor...4--city-hall-has-left-god-rossi-declares?bn=1

"But it worked so well for John Tory," Rossi was heard to remark.

the honourable thing to do while running for an election is NOT to appeal to people's faiths. also, i assume he is using the word god to represent a deity. which deity has city hall left? there's so many. is it "ra"? because of all the curtains blocking out the sun at city hall?

150px-Re-Horakhty.svg.png

^ Canada Line wasn't announced by the NDP, the Evergreen Line was, the switch to the Canada Line is a stick in the craw of NDP folk.
NDP minister Joy McPhail announced the Vancouver to Richmond line in 1998. Sure, it wouldn't have happened if the Liberals had been against it, but I think if the NDP had stayed in power, we'd have seen both the Canada Line, and the Evergreen Line.

‘City hall has left God,’ Rossi declares
Mayoral candidates open to faith groups taking a bigger role in city affairs

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tor...4--city-hall-has-left-god-rossi-declares?bn=1

Oh my!

"Rossi noted he was confirmed a Roman Catholic, went to an evangelical Christian Sunday school, has studied with a rabbi and spent a year in a Zen monastery in southern California"

That's one mixed up dude! There's a joke in there somewhere ... a priest, a rabbi, and monk go into a revival meeting, and ....

- disestablishmentarians

interesting headline.. considering every candidate pretty much said the same thing - open to bringing religious groups into consultation with city social policies etc...

I guess the star really is threatened by Rossi!?

When did the star become the left equivelent of the SUN??

and they wonder why readership has decreased?

interesting headline.. considering every candidate pretty much said the same thing - open to bringing religious groups into consultation with city social policies etc...

I guess the star really is threatened by Rossi!?

When did the star become the left equivelent of the SUN??

and they wonder why readership has decreased?

I'm pretty sure the sub-headline refers to "Mayoral Candidates", and Rossi simply had the most quoatable line.

Choice of Toronto’s next mayor affects us all

It's embarrassing but true: I know way more about the municipal election race in Toronto than I do about the one in my own town and I'll bet most other southern Ontarians do, too.

If you read a newspaper or watch television news, you know all about the top four or five Toronto mayoral candidates and their views. Meanwhile, I can't tell you who's running in my town except for one new woman whose name I forget -- and she's in my ward.

So you can't blame us for having opinions on who would make the best mayor of Toronto. After all, he (or she) will have a big impact on us, too.

The prickly David Miller certainly did, with his Fortress Toronto mentality and his scorn for smaller communities. You can't blame us for thinking that in his world, we'd all live in downtown condos and do what he told us.

He wanted us to pay for his roads, but stay off them. He sneered at other municipalities' projects that didn't fit with his ideas -- the Clarington incinerator is a prime example. He was out front on environmental issues that eventually hurt rural people. What became a provincewide ban on many pesticides was only one.

The idea of Toronto as a city state levying its own taxes instead of contributing to the province appealed to him mightily -- even though we all now contribute to the city's transit, roads and infrastructure in a number of different ways.

So almost anyone who is not David Miller or one of his pet councillors would appeal to southern Ontarians -- which hurls deputy mayor Joe Pantalone out right away.

Then there's Rob Ford. Not a lot to like about him as far as an outsider can see.

A maverick, he doesn't display a lot of talent for consensus building. And although he talks a good game about integrated transit and sensible spending, I get the feeling he's just the other side of David Miller's worn-out broom and a bit of a loose cannon.

Former deputy premier George Smitherman hasn't had a lot to say so far on how he'd run the city. But he has a number of strikes against him before he opens his policy book.

He was health minister when the e-Health spending scandal occurred and didn't acknowledge responsibility by at least offering his resignation.

Second, he's a McGuinty Liberal and outside Toronto, Liberals are not that popular. Once Hydro One rate increases and the HST kick in, they'll be even less popular in or out of the city.

Which brings us to that breath of fresh air, Rocco Rossi -- someone most of us, along with most Torontonians, had never heard of until this year, but the candidate with the most to offer us all, if you ask me.

Sure, he's the former national director of the Liberal party, but he's clearly a fiscal conservative and a realist. Right from the start of his campaign, he made it clear he's passionate about Toronto and yet understands its place in the big picture -- that Toronto and its surroundings can't be separated.

We need Toronto and Toronto needs us. The rest of us would be welcome in Rossi's Toronto.

He understands that transportation of all kinds is important -- not just transit -- and he knows there needs to be an overall transit network, not just the TTC.

I don't think you'd catch Rossi sneering at other municipalities. He's an inclusive guy, a bit reminiscent of David Crombie, one of Toronto's best mayors.

He wants to fix everything from bike lanes to city finances and he doesn't have a grudge against the 'burbs. What's not to like?

Trouble is that with a long list of candidates on the ballot, there are umpteen different ways for the vote to split in October. So Rossi may be the best candidate, but his chances aren't all that good.

http://www.lfpress.com/comment/2010/05/14/13954381.html

interesting article. It is very true that everyone hears about Toronto Mayoral candidates but dont know any of their own cities candidates.

Now if I were the thin-skinned Vaughan, the same councillor who proposed a sidewalk tax for those who patronize the night clubs in the Entertainment District, I’d be very careful about who I called “idiotic.”

Attacks just fuel Rob Ford

Adam Vaughan says no one really listens to the Etobicoke mayoral hopeful. Wanna be?

At a particularly high point of last week’s council meeting, Adam Vaughan, his voice dripping with sarcasm and more than a hint of desperation, called his arch-rival Rob Ford a “reckless” and “idiotic” councillor who engages in “grandstanding and buffoonery.”

Using a report from Integrity Commissioner Janet Leiper as his excuse to crucify Ford — one indicating the outspoken councillor had violated the Code of Conduct — Vaughan also suggested “no one really listens to the guy” except for a few disgruntled voters in the city.

More.........http://www.torontosun.com/comment/columnists/sueann_levy/2010/05/14/13956046.html

Last edited:
Now if I were the thin-skinned Vaughan, the same councillor who proposed a sidewalk tax for those who patronize the night clubs in the Entertainment District, I’d be very careful about who I called “idiotic.”

Yeah, and how many votes is Rob Ford gonna get down there. (Well, sure, perhaps I can see the more douchebaggy Cityplace-dwellers going for him. But they're douchebags. And they like their girls with silicone and Brazilian. Vaughan-as-in-Adam vs Vaughan-as-in-the-city-above-Toronto-mentality-imported-into-Toronto, I suppose.)

Back