News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Sons-of-Tory or no sons-of-Tory, I remain guarded about Thomson--somehow, I can see her "apparent" support seeping out on E-day, Flora Macdonald-style (well, why not; her "annointed lady candidate" quality seems a flashback to Flora days)

The thing that I disagree with Thompson is her stand on tolls. I've never been a fan of tolls except on new infastructure. To me it is unfair for one person to pay $5 for a one km use of the Gardiner or DVP but someone going across Eglinton Road from one side of the city to the other pays nothing. This is why I have always supported gas taxes.............the more you travel, the more you pay.
Someone will say that Torontonians have to pay for transit somehow but they are already paying for transit thru their taxes.
The people who should be paying for the people transit and highways are the ones who can take advantage of them both but don't pay for them............the 905ers. The city should put up tolls on all incoming roads into the city from the 905 eg Eg/Bl/LS/Yon/Bay/Kingston/Mark etc including the DV, Gardiner and Allen. Vehicles registered in Toronto could have a transponder like the 407 so they don't pay. There should be no tolls after 7pm or on weekends as the transit system is not as good and so it wouldn't hurt the downtown.
The toll should not be ridiculous, I would say $3 or $4 at most and should be either in or outbound not both. Once someone has their toll to get into the city they should not have to pay to leave it as well. That strikes me as being a bit too onerous and expensive. They could buy monthly passes to make it easier for the drivers, collection, and would have less an effect on traffic. If someone comes into the city 20 times a month and with tolls at $3 that $60 so a monthly pass of $50 is both affordable and reasonable.
I have NO idea how many vehicle trips are made into the city from the 905 while exempting the 400 series. Even if only at half a million per day at $3 at 5 days a week works out at $7 million per week works out to roughly $350 million a year...... a nice amount and about 3 km of subway every 2 years.

If you compare this to the poll that came out earlier this week - which was reported as % of total voters instead of % of decided voters, then the previous poll is:

Ford - 41%
Smitherman 27%
Thomson 13%
Pantalone 11%
Rossi 7%

As % of total voters this new one is:

Ford - 30%
Smitherman 26%
Thomson 4%
Pantalone 8%
Rossi 4%
Other 1%
Undecided 28%

So, it looks like Ford is level ... and Smitherman is gaining. Though the biggest gain was undecided.

Hmm, Ford's percentage of decided vote grew by 1% but his actual support fell 2%.

Last edited:
Quoting from The Star, regarding the Ipsos-Reid poll results released today:

(article by David Rider, Urban Affairs Bureau Chief)

" As well as disproportionately suburban, Ford supporters are more likely to be male and older, more engaged in the election, more concerned with government spending, more opposed to immigrants coming to Toronto, and more likely to feel the city is spinning out of control, the poll found. "

Comments, anyone?

Earlier this week, I wrote Sarah Thomson to clarify some of the concerns I had and she replied to me today.

Her subway platform is actually quite comprehensive and central to her plan for the city. From what I understand, this will be her major priority and it's full steam ahead if she's elected. When I expressed concern that we need transit expansion today, not in 10 years, she mentioned that New York built 100km of subway in 4 years. I'm interested on her having private developers help build the stations. It does make a lot of sense: building a subway will bring value to the property where the stations are, so why not give the land above to developers and have them build the stations in tandem with towers? It's such a simple concept you're left with the question of why it hasn't been done before.

Sarah Thomson is so in tune with UrbanToronto that I have to wonder if she came here to write her platform. With her, it appears that we will finally get real transit expansion in the form of subways, including the much desired DRL.

The tidbit that got my attention was her response to "Are you electable?". She said that an important endorsement is coming next week with more lined up. Her ad campaign also begins next week.

Last edited:
When, exactly, did New York build 100 km of subway in four years? 1910-1914?

I imagine just a few things have changed since then, like environmental assessments. And fire codes. I am all for more subways, but think it is a little crazy at this point to present throwing a wrench into the gears of designed, funded, approved and ready-to-go projects like the Eglinton LRT as some kind of great leap for transit. The best thing the next mayor could do on the transit front is probably to promise not to get in the way of those projects, imperfect though they may be. Still a lot better than the big fat nothing we have mostly gotten since the seventies.

Ford's remarks hint that his campaign machine isn't as finely oiled as originally thought. The push to portray Ford as mushy, warm-hearted conservative looking out for the interests of all Torontonians, especially in his diverse Rexdale ward, is going to come under increasing scrutiny as he continues to run his mouth.

Sure he can hold a few Aboriginal youth pow wows and Flemingdom Park barbeques, but in the midst of reporters and cell phones, Ford will continue to show traces of his usual abrasive, "tells it like I sees it" style of politics, which will most certainly lead to his demise over the next few months.

The biggest danger to Rob Ford's election campaign is Rob Ford. It doesn't matter how oiled his campaign machine is. It doesn't matter how much you pretty it up, make it look all soft at compassionate. Underneath it all, it's still Rob Ford.

Rob Ford will never be mayor of Toronto...

But he will be the next MPP for Etobicoke North and promptly ushered into Premier Hudak's cabinet as Minister of Municipal Affairs.

You heard it here first folks.

I can't believe this clown wants to cut salaries of politicians from $100K to $30K a year to 'save the taxpayers' 1 million dollars each year. Does he not realise that by paying essentially an extra dollar a year we are making sure that the best of the best people are competing to run Toronto instead of going into the private sector? Does he not realise low corruption rates are directly correlated to high salaries? So fucking what if top politicians are making a lot of money? They are still making a lot LESS than the businessmen the right wing want to benefit.

That and the fact he is against streetcars and public transportation in general actually scares me.

Looks like moving to TO is out of the question if Ford wins. *dramatic*

...hmm Vancouver?

I'm sure.. like what most people are saying, it will just be 4 years of nothing.

World Pride and the Pan Am Games.... can't wait for Ford to represent Toronto and Canada. Yay.

At least he wouldn't make a comment to the international media about Africans dancing around a giant boiling pot... Oh wait, he probably would.

Even if he wins, I doubt he'd get re-elected as I suspect he would be a walking disaster and the citizens of this city would boot him out before the Pan Am games in 2015.

Back