News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

When, exactly, did New York build 100 km of subway in four years? 1910-1914?

I imagine just a few things have changed since then, like environmental assessments. And fire codes. I am all for more subways, but think it is a little crazy at this point to present throwing a wrench into the gears of designed, funded, approved and ready-to-go projects like the Eglinton LRT as some kind of great leap for transit. The best thing the next mayor could do on the transit front is probably to promise not to get in the way of those projects, imperfect though they may be. Still a lot better than the big fat nothing we have mostly gotten since the seventies.

Canada did not have income tax until World War I. Which meant the workers and companies were paid without any deductions from their pay envelopes. No income tax, no insurance deductions, no pension, no employement insurance, etc.. So the construction costs were cheaper and there was little or no regulations or watchdogs to look over things.

I agree that just continue with the planned projects, else we will just be delaying and delaying, and nothing will happen. However, we should also try to start planning for more transit projects such as the Downtown Relief Line.

But he will be the next MPP for Etobicoke North and promptly ushered into Premier Hudak's cabinet as Minister of Municipal Affairs.

You heard it here first folks.
I doubt this. Given Ford's history of bigoted and racist comments, not to mention his criminal record, and drug and alcohol usage (ongoing it would seem), I think that the Tories would think long and hard before touching him.

Given how much Harper got hurt in the Ontario vote in the 2006 election by the oft-quoted anti-gay comments of just one candidate (in Kitchener-Conestoga if I remember correctly) then they may find him a liability.

Though I also doubt that Hudak is that electable himself. He's a very right-wing Conservative. I'm not sure that Ontario has forgiven Harris, and I think they'll not be keen to elect one of his accolytes. If they couldn't elect a man like John Tory, who is about as anti-Harris as you can get in the Tory party, I really don't think a Harris-clone will have much chance.

Last edited:
It does make a lot of sense: building a subway will bring value to the property where the stations are, so why not give the land above to developers and have them build the stations in tandem with towers? It's such a simple concept you're left with the question of why it hasn't been done before.

It probably has not been done before because it is a flawed concept. If subway stations attract development why are the vast majority of stations on Danforth and Bloor W. still surrounded by 80 year old 2 and 3 storey buildings?

Does he not realise that by paying essentially an extra dollar a year we are making sure that the best of the best people are competing to run Toronto instead of going into the private sector?

Pantelone, Moscoe, Bussin, Feldman, Fletcher etc: are the "best of the best"? God save the private sector.

Rob Ford will never be mayor of Toronto...

But he will be the next MPP for Etobicoke North and promptly ushered into Premier Hudak's cabinet as Minister of Municipal Affairs.

That's a probable scenario if he doesn't make it to the Mayor's chair.

According to The Star today, "suburban fury" is fueling Ford's polling. I guess the suburbans are furious that a film like Chloe would never get filmed in North Etobicoke.

It probably has not been done before because it is a flawed concept. If subway stations attract development why are the vast majority of stations on Danforth and Bloor W. still surrounded by 80 year old 2 and 3 storey buildings?
Because the residents wouldn't let them easily change the zoning to allow for higher buildings.

There is an easy fix there.

Though we are starting to see the old zoning fall apart, with Places to Grow.

I was filming around Chinatown today and who do I see? Yep, Rob Ford with lots of supporters who looked and sounded like immigrants. That got me thinking about Ford's anti-immigrant comments, so when one of Ford's supporters came to talk to me, I asked him if I could film him and ask him questions about Ford. Of course, I asked him about Ford's immigration comments and this is the very short (and not very good) interview.

[video=youtube;11YQEgH8XCc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11YQEgH8XCc[/video]

Yes, I know, don't quit your day job.

Last edited:
It's unfortunate that uninformed people are allowed to vote. I don't mean to exclude people but if you don't know how a candidate can benefit the city, you should go find out before casting your ballot. The Mayor's job shouldn't be a popularity contest but for most people, it is.

I'm concerned that Ford has quite the mega-aparatus right now but it brings me comfort that most of Toronto is against him. It's just that now they're standing behind different candidates. As election day approaches, one candidate is going to consolidate most of that electorate and we won't have Ford as Mayor.

It's unfortunate that uninformed people are allowed to vote. I don't mean to exclude people but if you don't know how a candidate can benefit the city, you should go find out before casting your ballot. The Mayor's job shouldn't be a popularity contest but for most people, it is.

I'm concerned that Ford has quite the mega-aparatus right now but it brings me comfort that most of Toronto is against him. It's just that now they're standing behind different candidates. As election day approaches, one candidate is going to consolidate most of that electorate and we won't have Ford as Mayor.

The balance of power rests not with those who can best convince the brightest of the bright, but those who can best manipulate the dimmest of the dim.

Rob Ford will never be mayor of Toronto...

Not so sure, because of (a) Etobicoke North's demos not being terribly Tory-friendly, and (b) with redistribution, Ford's now in Etobicoke Centre, a far more viable prospect...

What I find funny is how Ford's supports keep saying "he's an honest guy" yet he's the one who's been caught in a number of lies. Don't these people read newspapers? Out of everyone running for mayor, Ford is the most deceptive, manipulative and a proven lier, yet people are fooled. It's so much like the Bush worshippers down south. I see a lot of similarities. Maybe the rabid right are the same no matter which country they are in. And all this time I thought we Canadians were better/smarter than that. To put this in perspective, right now, it's only 1/3 of Torontonians who support Ford. I guess it could be worse.

Why are people so angry? Has Toronto changed all that much in the last few years? Traffic has been terrible for 20 years. The TTC has not improved in many years. Has the tax rate changed much in the last few years? Government waste has always been there, so what's so different this year? Toronto still ranks very well in the best cities to live. It always beats all the American cities. Crime has consistently gone down. Sure, the economy is not good but it's better here than almost everywhere else. And that can't be blamed on Miller. People used to really like Miller. So, what gives? Anybody have any ideas?

I was filming around Chinatown today and who do I see? Yep, Rob Ford with lots of supporters who looked and sounded like immigrants. That got me thinking about Ford's anti-immigrant comments, so when one of Ford's supporters came to talk to me, I asked him if I could film him and ask him questions about Ford. Of course, I asked him about Ford's immigration comments and this is the very short (and not very good) interview.

[video=youtube;11YQEgH8XCc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11YQEgH8XCc[/video]

Yes, I know, don't quit your day job.

this should be front page on urban toronto! there's something almost religious about this, as in ignoring evidence so it doesn't conflict with one's beliefs. i believe ford has reached messiah status. his worshippers refuse to acknowledge his wrongs because he is perceived by them to be the only one who can deliver them from "wasteful spending".

Yes, very unfortunate. Everyone should of course be equal, but we must find a way to make some people more equal than others.

How could that possibly give you any comfort? Using the same standard, "most of Toronto" is against every mayoral candidate.

Judging by the most recent Star poll, Smitherman's numbers look pretty good. Ford really only has a prospect of drawing votes from Rossi supporters, who are a small group, and even then are probably backing Rossi because they are allergic to Ford. GS, by contrast, could easily draw support from all three of Thomson, Pantalone, and Rossi, though much will depend on whether and when any of them drop out. I think it is also safe to assume that undecideds won't break in a big way for Ford. If you're passionate enough to believe a guy like him would be an improvement, odds are you have already made up your mind.

Additionally, I think it is important to consider that the old Red Tory/Blue Grit machine, which still counts for a lot in Toronto, is completely appalled by Ford. These were the people who, to some extent, delivered Lastman and, in his second election, Miller. Partisan lines are pretty fuzzy in municipal politics and that crowd will likely back GS in a big way. There's also the not-insignificant issue that RF is not, exactly, a great candidate except as a sort of template for 'suburban rage'--I find it very hard to believe that his long and well-documented record (criminal and otherwise) won't get a lot of folks asking harder questions. Similarly as the debate becomes more one to one with he and GS the flimsiness of so many of his ideas and claims will be more obvious, in contrast to someone with a substantial resume of accomplishment and reasonable ideas.

All that said, progressive Toronto should not by any stretch underestimate the Ford threat. He has obviously tapped into a sense of frustration that is bigger than municipal politics, and in turnout-sensitive municipal contests such a passionate base is a huge asset. But as the performance of a notional Miller run in that Post poll demonstrates the progressive bloc in Toronto is very large. We didn't turn into Alabama overnight, and the candidate that finds a way to acknowledge concerns about 'waste' within in the context of a positive, moderate, progressive and urbanist agenda will probably win easily. Incidentally, one of the things I would love to see Smitherman do is to attack the idea of 'waste' from the left, as in, 'we can't build a great city if we are wasting money,' rather than 'city council wastes some money, so let's turn back the clock to the fifties because they were so awesome.'

Adam Vaughan, who I think will make a great mayor one day, had an interesting interview in NOW recently that I encourage all to check out (sorry, tough to paste link on iPad). Basically he said that candidates who think they can win by complaining about the Miller era are dreaming, since the people who see that as the most important metric are going to go to Ford. The rest of us want to live in a city that is getting better and moving forward, and the candidate that presents a vision of the future that appeals the the great middle is going to find a lot of success. I think I agree.

In any case, I am trying to remember that the only people paying attention right now are journalists and folks who are passionate on either side. We really can't conclude much of anything yet.

An edditional thought edited in: I have been surprised by the extent to which even high-information voters of my acquaintance don't really know anything about Ford. To city hall-watchers his stunts and flaws are well-known, but the vast majority of people pay very little attention to the ins and outs of the clamshell. That makes me suspect much of his current poll support is down to name recognition, which has of course been aided immeasurably by the exploding-heads routine that is getting played out among, say, Star columnists. I am really hoping that one of these days we will start seeing election headlines that don't start with his name.

Last edited:

Back