News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Monday night’s mayoral debate on heritage was held in the lovely St. Lawrence Hall, an appropriate location for the topic.

Text by Tyler Greenleaf Crappy Photos by Interchange42

HDebateBedford.jpg

The highly structured debate was moderated by Paul Bedford, a former Chief City Planner for Toronto. Newcomer Rocco Achampong, a lawyer by day, joined well-known candidates Rob Ford, Joe Pantalone, Rocco Rossi, George Smitherman and Sarah Thomson.

The debate featured seven questions put forth by Heritage Toronto and two submitted by audience members. Considering the audience attending (which did skew strongly towards retirees) each candidate declared clear support for various heritage initiatives, although in different ways.

HDebateAchampong.jpg

Rocco Achampong was well-versed in the history of Toronto and had obvious enthusiasm for the city and its heritage, having been involved with Jane’s Walks as well as hosting tours of Osgoode Hall.

He noted that the Heritage Toronto Office falls under the city’s Culture Division. If Mayor, Achampong would pull the heritage office out of Culture Division and create a Heritage Division to give it more attention outside of this large branch of city government. He bemoaned the lack of heritage coordination between the city and province and would work to remove an overlap of services.

HDebateFord.jpg

Besides reiterating his campaign talking points throughout the debate, Rob Ford surprisingly agreed that the $700,000 Heritage Toronto budget was way too low and said he would re-deploy current city employees to the Heritage Office.

His other suggestions to increase funding for the heritage office included promoting volunteer clean-up of natural heritage green spaces (most notably the Don River, which he noted seemed remarkably more dirty compared to the Humber River which is located in his ward) and through fundraising from private citizens for funds to support heritage initiatives. He noted the volatility of heritage planning with the influence of the OMB as a constant threat.

HDebatePantalone.jpg

Joe Pantalone repeatedly touted his experience with heritage preservation (noting examples from Exhibition Place and Fort York, among others), as well as the coming bicentennial of the War of 1812. He saw the bicentennial as an opportunity to secure federal and provincial dollars for additional heritage support in the city.

Pantalone also saw an opportunity for additional funding support through developers, who, when submitting their development application, would have to include heritage research on the buildings in the immediate vicinity. This would help relieve the burden of research and identifying heritage buildings for the city. Pantalone strongly supported creating a City of Toronto Museum in Old City Hall.

HDebateRossi.jpg

Rocco Rossi clearly did his homework when it came to what kind of work Heritage Toronto had been doing, telling the audience he would work to manage the dollars used by Heritage Toronto, as only 12 buildings were protected so far this year when 40 had been done in 2009. He also had notes about how many buildings were deemed heritage in each part of the city (downtown Toronto has the most heritage designations, which is not surprising considering it is older than the rest of the city).

If mayor, Rossi would create more detailed secondary plans with local communities including creating heritage designations at a neighbourhood level. Finally, he promised to take responsibility for the city and offered leadership in the form of tackling issues without blaming other levels of government for the city’s problems.

HDebateSmitherman.jpg

George Smitherman was clearly comfortable speaking about heritage issues, having held a press conference at Yonge & Gould earlier that day promoting his five points of preserving heritage in Toronto including cracking down on neglectful owners of heritage buildings, proactive planning to preserve heritage structures, and further planning engagement with the community.

Smitherman noted his experience in saving heritage structures and insinuated that he would consider pursuing the creation of a governing body that would replace the OMB using powers granted by the existing City of Toronto act.

HDebateThomson.jpg

Touting “pre-zoning” as a way to designate heritage areas, Sarah Thomson plans to protect all buildings built prior to 1920. As a means to address planning and heritage protection, she would take a very long-term view of city planning, trying to anticipate the Toronto of 200 years from now.

Thomson expressed a desire to work more closely with communities across the city to build partnerships and consensus on heritage buildings and new developments.

HDebateCrowd.jpg

In the end, the audience was most inspired by George Smitherman with Joe Pantalone or Rocco Rossi behind him. This downtown crowd clearly did not support Rob Ford, whose minor applause did not extend beyond his dozen or so campaign supporters in attendance.

There really is a divide between downtown and the outer city. Can Rob Ford carry the election by winning only the outer city? I don't think he can if this election unravels according to tradition. That is, it depends largely on whether the election comes down to 2 candidates. If it's Rob Ford versus somebody else, and that somebody else has downtown support, Ford cannot win. If it goes against tradition and we get a 3 way race, then Ford has a very good chance at winning.

Actually, at the heritage debate, if anyone was earnestly gaffe-prone a la Lastman, it was Thomson, not Ford...

Absolutely. Thomson seemed to have little idea what she was talking about. Ford was actually on-topic more than I expected and even had a few valid points.

Thomson wasn't very pre-pared beyond pre-zoning. Why does it always seem like every day is her first day on the campaign trail? I'm always expecting a Miss Teen South Carolina moment.

I hate how they can never manage to even get the quotes right. By re-wording it and taking it out of context, it just makes it seem like the audience was hostile to him. What Rob Ford actually said that caused everyone to explode with laughter was the impossible promise that "Under Rob Ford there will be NO scandals at City Hall".

You have to admit, though, that that statement would have produced less laughter had it come from any other candidate...

I think Smitherman may have just slipped a noose around his neck, floating the idea of raising business taxes (if only "ever so slightly"), to fund job creation. We have to continue lowering business taxes in this town ... Miller started to chip away at them, while Miller's predecessors were very afraid of this tin of worms.

George: this idea of yours is a stinker, it's not original; it's a very bad re-hash.

There's goes any support I had for Smitherman.

My list was:

1 - Thomson
2 - Pantalone
3 - Smitherman

I knew in the end I might need to support Smitherman to defeat Rob Ford, but I see Joe and Sarah's campaigning will help them climb in the polls in the next couple of weeks.

What is it about Sarah that appeals to you, MetroMan? I like the subways & tolls thing - in principle, anyway - but I find she doesn't really demonstrate a firm grasp of city issues. She seems a bit amateurish, to be honest.

More experience might help - maybe she should shoot for a council seat, instead of the mayor's job.

Absolutely. Thomson seemed to have little idea what she was talking about. Ford was actually on-topic more than I expected and even had a few valid points.

True: if one thinks real deep, you don't have to be a Fordite to feel that, uh, Kyle Rae farewell money would have been better allocated to something like heritage resources. And for that matter, if it's all about cutting fat, perhaps a straightforward spit-and-polish of Nathan Phillips Square would have been preferrable to all that competition fooferaw. (Or at least, it would have seemed so before the City Hall green roof became the popular success it is. Not that Rob Ford's ever actually *been* up there--which, for a mayoral frontrunner, is kind of frightening to consider.)

Though Ford seemed to run out of gas after his initial resource-allocation point. (And if he had any imagination, he could have offered his own family neighbourhood as a "heritage tour" locale, rather than ramble on about the Humber being less filthy than the Don and his need to lose weight, etc.)

loved this quote from Smitherman in the article!: “I don’t know who Forum Research is, maybe that is Rocco’s new polling company,” Smitherman said. “I haven’t met anybody putting up their hand saying they want more politics. This notion of recall is about the perpetual election cycle, it’s California politics brought to Ontario and Toronto and it hasn’t worked very well there.”

and he's right, the recall thing could easily get out of hand and cause chaos in city government. If anybody does anything really bad, there is always the legal system to deal with it...

Last edited:
http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/09/02/15226991.html

Rossi jumps to 3rd place.

making moves...
Sarah thomson doesn't have a chance.

You need political support or just a huge populous base like what Ford has.

Smitehrman
Rossi
Pantalone
all have a base of political volunteers. it's unfortunate but the reality of our political landscape
If Thomson without a base of political volunteers is dead at 14%, then Pantalone with a base of volunteers must be even deader at 11%.

Back