News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I don't doubt he can implement a tax freeze, but it will inevitably be followed by a large tax hike when it's 'unfrozen.'

These mayoral candidates are setting themselves up for failure with all this fiscal talk. There is simply not a lot of room to save money unless you go after the city's labour contracts, and that's not something you can just do quickly.

There is simply not a lot of room to save money unless you go after the city's labour contracts, and that's not something you can just do quickly.
First up is TTC in March 2011. Presumably the province wouldn't immediately order them back to work if the city opposed.

So then you force them to go on strike until they agree to reduced wages.

How many months would it take to break them? Probably 6 to 9 months I'd think.

Can you imagine how much money Ford could save if he didn't have to run the TTC for 6 to 9 months?

Ford has said he wants to make the TTC an essential service, so I guess he is in favour of them getting significant wage hikes every three years automatically. It's either that or he doesn't know what "essential service" means. But any mayoral candidate is bound to have done research on the subject. Right?

Hmm, if no strikes, no tax increases, etc. Then the only thing to do is raise TTC fares.

Say hello to $300 TTC passes. Of course, then he could cut most of the service, because there wouldn't be any riders left.

Sorry if this has already been answered but have any of the candidates mentioned what they would like to see done with the Gardiner Expressway?

^ Besides Ford, no.

However, we can assume that Pantalone is in line with Miller's Gardiner removal East of Jarvis. I asked Sarah Thomson. She skirted the issue. Like many issues, she wants to make up her mind once she has the ability to reassess things. i.e. when she's Mayor.

Ford blocked me from leaving comments on his Youtube videos. It seems he doesn't want comments unless they praise him. My comments were quite diplomatic but critical of Ford's plan, so I guess the man can dish out the criticism (Tell it like it is Ford) but can't take it when it's directed at himself. (even if it's constructive criticism) Listening to this man read, is painful and even the possibility of this man becoming mayor of Toronto, boggles my mind. This whole election is just pathetic. I am not happy with any of the bunch but I guess I'll have to hold my nose and pick one but NO, Ford will not be it.

anyone else get a robocall from the ford campaign inviting them to a free BBQ at ford's house? it's sept 10th. i can't deny that it's a nice gesture.

(1) show up
(2) eat
(3) scope out all the weirdos who support Ford
(4) remind yourself not to vote for him on Oct 25
(5) leave with a full stomach and a smile on your face :D

Last edited:
Tax freezes are dumb - the tools of political hucksters. Smitherman is running a terrible campaign.

Not true ... they're definitely a dumb idea for residential property tax ... if anything he should be imposing a mandatory tax hike!
But a freeze on the commercial rates is a great idea and likely badly needed to say the least.

Back