News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I think Glen was more challenging the belief that the city has structural problems that originate from the province. Some people believe that because downloading happened so long ago now the city should just get over it and learn to live with this fiscal reality and never complain about it.

I would assume you're a member of the 'labour' council?

a.k.a Pantalone supporter. So much for progressive votes eh? ;)

Why is it that any time somebody is anti Ford, they are being accused of being an NDP member, a Liberal party member or on Patalone's pay roll? Can't a person just be centralist or a left winger without being involved with one political party or another? It seems to be inconceivable to these neo cons, that not everybody has hard core, right wing beliefs and values. Sheesh, get over yourselves!.Toronto is a liberal-minded city. If you can't deal with it, move to Alberta.

Michael Bryant hosting $350-a-ticket fundraiser for Smitherman

Bryantsmitherman Michael Bryant, who made headlines last year when bicycle courier Darcy Allan Sheppard was fatally injured during an altercation with the convertible-driving former attorney general, is hosting a $350-a-ticket fundraiser for mayoral candidate George Smitherman.

Bryant, who was cleared of all charges in May amid evidence Sheppard had a habit of being aggressive and violent with drivers, has been sending out emails inviting Bay Street chums and others to the "cocktails and conversation" session with Smitherman on Sept. 20 at tony The National Club.

Bryant, who resigned as the head of Invest Toronto after he was charged, is now a well-connected Bay St. lawyer.

In the email, he writes:

Friends,

Please join me after work on Monday September 20th at the National Club for a special event with George Smitherman. I haven't hosted a fund-raiser since I left politics in 2009, so please help me make this night a success.

George needs our support. We need George as Mayor of Toronto. This mayoral race is hitting the critical stage where your donation will make a real difference.

The details and fax-back form are attached to this email. I need your help on this one. George and I really hope to see you there.

go

http://thestar.blogs.com/thegoods/2...-350-per-plate-fundraiser-for-smitherman.html

I have narrowed it down to either Pantalone, Smitherman, or Thompson. To be honest I never thought I would consider Pantalone until today. With Thompson at least I see ideas to vote for. Pantalone is sort of a status quo candidate with not many promises... but listening to Rossi and Ford for a while really makes me wonder if that is really such a bad thing. While I don't think Smitherman is a risky candidate I don't find him to be a warm person nor a person I would naturally trust. Thompson is a rookie. If she had been a councillor for a term or there was some history of leadership beyond a magazine most people have never heard of I would probably vote for her. I just worry that her personality isn't strong enough to hold ground to council members who get worked up. I could see Thompson being on the most defensible side of an argument but still loosing the argument to someone like Ford. In the end though if the vote is close I will likely end up voting strategically. No Ford and no Rossi for me... they obviously hate the idea of an urban city.

I wish this spelling of "Thomson" as "Thompson" would stop.

Anyway, another possible argument for Ford deflation is that federal polling showed the Harper Tories much stronger in Toronto mid-election '04, '06, and '08, than when E-day (and 416 shutout, once again) arrived...

My ranking of the candidates:

1. Smitherman
2. Pantalone
3. Thompson
4. Rossi
5. Ford

My ranking of the candidates if John Tory and David Miller were running:

1. Tory
2. Miller
3. Smitherman
4. Pantalone
5. Thompson
6. Rossi
7. Ford

I totally agree with those rankings, except in the second column, I'd put Miller first. I think Miller has more integrity and intelligence then that whole bunch. I'm still a little bit pissed at him about Corus but I'd get over it, if he was running.

I wish this spelling of "Thomson" as "Thompson" would stop.

Anyway, another possible argument for Ford deflation is that federal polling showed the Harper Tories much stronger in Toronto mid-election '04, '06, and '08, than when E-day (and 416 shutout, once again) arrived...

Don't go getting our hopes up, I need to be prepared for the crash, just in case Ford wins. I keep telling myself I can deal with it and it wont effect me much personally but am I really just in denial? I don't want to freak out election night. God, when is that next poll coming? I can't wait.

My ranking of the candidates:

1. Smitherman
2. Pantalone
3. Thompson
4. Rossi
5. Ford

My ranking of the candidates if John Tory and David Miller were running:

1. Tory
2. Miller
3. Smitherman
4. Pantalone
5. Thompson
6. Rossi
7. Ford
I might flip a couple of those ... or maybe not.

Tory did have some pretty whacky ideas remember ... the proposed incinerator next to Leslieville that was supposed to handle ALL our garbage. But still, I'd probably put him (and Miller) ahead of all 5 we are stuck with.

Don't go getting our hopes up, I need to be prepared for the crash, just in case Ford wins. I keep telling myself I can deal with it and it wont effect me much personally but am I really just in denial? I don't want to freak out election night. God, when is that next poll coming? I can't wait.

Hi Torontovibe. I sense your anxiety by the way you've written this and I sort of share it. Ford is so anti-urban.

But -- we are reminded (by Crombie) that a system exists to keep shitty mayors in check.

In the event that Ford wins, I am looking to the rest of council to "work around" him. I know that comes off as a bit of a chuckle, but I'll stay away from further cheap shots. Ford, if he wins, could have a very hard time of it. Council could wrap a good deal of red tape all around the poor fella and he won't know how to deal with that. It could be a sorry situation for all, but especially for poor, over-his-head Rob Ford.

Edit: I expect Adam Vaughan to win his seat; it will be Adam Vaughan, a capable guy, who will lead the anti-Ford charge in council (that is, if Ford is elected), and Vaughan will organize very well. End of edit.

Ford is no leader, in any way, shape, or form, and damage that you are anticipating to the city, if he wins, is actually doubtful. The tragedy would be four years marked by no initiatives at all, at a time when we need initiatives -- but even a Ford can't destroy the already marvellous things about Toronto. This is one of the liveliest, and culturally active cities in the world.

I am now solidly behind Smitherman, he is our best hope to take some of the obvious Ford ground, and our best hope to reform city hall somewhat. Pantalone just won't do -- the polls are making that abundantly clear.

Last edited:
Well, Rossi's second major transport announcement is out. Something about replacing road bridges faster. The location of the announcement, along the rail corridor/Gardiner in Parkdale, got my hopes up that maybe he might finally propose something positive for people whose preferred mode of interaction with the city isn't through a windshield. Silly me, I guess. Why Rossi seems so determined to not only write off but actively antagonise most folks south of St. Clair is a real mystery, coming from a guy trying to present himself as a 'consensus' candidate. Oh, and he wants a bridge to the Island airport, too.

I think I am officially voting for whoever is in 2nd place in the polls (behind Ford).
That would be the 3rd or 4th place candidate wouldn't it.

I can't imagine anyone things Ford will be at the front of the polls come election, unless it's some bizarre 21/20/20/20/19 split

Back