News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I don't see anything wrong with the Ford campaign creating a fake twitter account (which they happily admit to doing) in order to get their hands on a copy of the audio tape that Doneit-Henderson boasted about in twitters in which he set up Rob Ford. It was a brilliant campaign strategy that allowed TeamFord to get out AHEAD of the story. What I find disgusting (we all should) is how Doneit-Henderson took advantage of Rob's good nature and propensity to help people in need in an effort to destroy him. If you listen to the ENTIRE secret recording - what is interesting - and what DID NOT get reported - is the fact that Doneit-Henderson claimed that the last time that he bought drugs on the street was in 2001 "with George Smitherman". In 2001 George Smitherman was ALREADY an MPP !

I agree entirely with the first part. It wasn't the most honourable move in the world, but their social media guy should be commended for finding a clever way to dissolve a potentially harmful story. Fascinating use of Twitter.

As far as your other points: There's something to be said for hoping that a mayor can't be taken advantage of so easily. Jumping to suggesting that someone buy drugs on the street is a ridiculous move. Not smart.

Your latter suggestion that the real takeaway from this is that Smitherman was still doing drugs in 2001 is a disgusting and unwarranted shot at someone's character.

If you read that article in the star, about councillor cooperation with Ford (link), they've pretty much found enough councillors to resist Robbie completely. And that's with 12 missing.

Go to the comments section and it's still a love-fest/suggesting a liberal conspiracy. Sigh. Ford supporters are delusional.

I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps Ford were to whale on a reporter and spend out his term in prison, he'd probably STILL be re-elected.

Is there nothing in the election laws that require candidates to identify themselves in advertising ... which is essentially what these tweets were.

For that matter, isn't there anything in the Ontario Press Council news that would have required Levy to identify in her columns that she had been getting cash payments from Rob Ford?

I don't see anything wrong with the Ford campaign creating a fake twitter account (which they happily admit to doing) in order to get their hands on a copy of the audio tape that Doneit-Henderson boasted about in twitters in which he set up Rob Ford. It was a brilliant campaign strategy that allowed TeamFord to get out AHEAD of the story. What I find disgusting (we all should) is how Doneit-Henderson took advantage of Rob's good nature and propensity to help people in need in an effort to destroy him. If you listen to the ENTIRE secret recording - what is interesting - and what DID NOT get reported - is the fact that Doneit-Henderson claimed that the last time that he bought drugs on the street was in 2001 "with George Smitherman". In 2001 George Smitherman was ALREADY an MPP !

I find it interesting that the first half of your comment completely dismisses everything that Doneit-Henderson claimed, then you pivot and comment on how compelling his Smitherman allegation is.

So you have no problem with a mayor who wins elections with deception and lies? Yes, we know this is how politics works but to anonymously spread rumors about Smitherman using drugs, 2 days before the election, is sinking to new levels. If you think that's fine, you must have no principles or ethics yourself. I think it's pretty despicable but like they say, what goes around, comes around!

Last edited:
It's clear the people who voted for him don't care, but that's not what I'm alluding to. I'm suggesting that given his personality -- and I've known him to be this way for almost a decade now so he's not going to change -- he's going to end up breaking the law and city council will do something about it. If it's serious enough, he's going to have to step down. Comitting a crime on your own time is one thing, doing it while holding the office of Mayor is quite another.

Though given the political climate out there, I can see whatever befalls Ford being spun as a "frame-up". Sort of like, if you keep on calling a kid "fat fvck, fat fvck, fatty fatty fvck fvck", he's naturally gotta snap--esp. if you've got a Ford-esque man-child reputation for snapping...

The entertainment factor of watching him implode is really the only bright spot here. We all know it's just a matter of time.

So you have no problem with a mayor who wins elections with deception and lies? Yes, we know this is how politics works but to anonymously spread rumors about Smitherman using drugs, 2 days before the election, is sinking to new levels. If you think that's fine, you must have no principles or ethics yourself. I think it's pretty despicable but like they say, what goes around, comes around!

Again nothing unethical about creating the fake twitter account. Doneit-Henderson was boasting on twitter that he had a tape that was going to destroy Rob Ford so the campaign pretty much had to do whatever it took to get the tape even if it meant resorting to deception. When you are dealing with someone like Doneit-Henderson anything is fair game. As for spreading rumors about Smitherman using drugs , there was no need to spread rumors since Smithermans 5 year addiction to party drugs is common knowledge (he himself admits to being a drug addict for 5 years). Of course this dark part of Smithermans past was a taboo subject in almost all of the media.

Again nothing unethical about creating the fake twitter account. Doneit-Henderson was boasting on twitter that he had a tape that was going to destroy Rob Ford so the campaign pretty much had to do whatever it took to get the tape even if it meant resorting to deception.
Perhaps fair ... but the months of fraudulent tweeting after that is pretty disgusting, and has nothing to do with that.

I just can't imagine how any politician is so corrupt and bent to practice such deception.

Rob Ford is clearly a very evil man to allow such practices to go on. Given the anti-gay bigotry that was tweeted directly from the Ford camp, it makes you wonder about the campaigns denial of the homophobic radio ads.

Positive proof that Rob Ford is nothing but an evil bigot.

Wow.. a lot of Rob Ford's out there this Halloween. This is going to be a very entertaining 4 years indeed.

I just can't imagine how any politician is so corrupt and bent to practice such deception.

Sock Puppets are nothing new. They've filled the letter to the editor section of papers for decades durring campaigns, and now they use message boards, facebook, and twitter. There's nothing new going on here, just a new medium.

Again nothing unethical about creating the fake twitter account. Doneit-Henderson was boasting on twitter that he had a tape that was going to destroy Rob Ford so the campaign pretty much had to do whatever it took to get the tape even if it meant resorting to deception. When you are dealing with someone like Doneit-Henderson anything is fair game. As for spreading rumors about Smitherman using drugs , there was no need to spread rumors since Smithermans 5 year addiction to party drugs is common knowledge (he himself admits to being a drug addict for 5 years). Of course this dark part of Smithermans past was a taboo subject in almost all of the media.
Smitherman has always been honest about his past. Ford lies about his past and only admitts it when he has no choice. Big difference.

Smitherman has always been honest about his past.

Are you sure? Smitherman has admitted to a 5 year addiction to party drugs prior to getting into politics - i.e. that he was clean all of the time he was an MPP. If you listen to the secret recording done by Doneit-Henderson he states that "the last time he bought drugs on the streets was in 2001 with George Smitherman" In 2001 Smitherman was already an MPP. Now I will be the first to admit that you cannot accept this statement as being true but there was no attempt to follow-up and ask Smitherman if what Doneit-Henderson said was true so we don't know what or who to believe.

Back