News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

^Er, I was being funny. I was saying that while the idea of a park under an underpass is nice and yuppie-ish, the reality is it will be taken over by undesirables eventually....

Since I hate being literal (I'm not a Virgo or Cancer), I say things like that to make life more interesting....:D

It's possible, but I think both the provincial and federal Cons will realize after some quick electoral math that they only really need the 905 to win. And you don't need to make nearly as many spending promises to get the 905.

The 905 is fairly fickle though, politically speaking at least. There is little loyalty towards any political party. The Liberals have done well for a while now in the absence of any real conservative opposition but now that the Conservatives appear to be on a bit of an upswing, and lets face it there was really never anywhere else but up to go, it may make for a bigger electoral battle in the region. Not quite sure how the old city of Toronto will fare in all this but I would hope there would be residual benefits.

Unlike Rob Ford who could accumulate large amount of individual votes in dense pro-Ford areas of the city, Hudak will have to win over a majority of voters in several districts to gain enough MPP's to form a government. Percentage of popular vote isn't as important as it is in municipal elections.

I think McGuinty can beat this. He's been a pretty effective and likeable Premier and he's already aware that he needs to work on certain issues to win back support. He has the advantage of incumbency. He can make some popular moves over the next year and people will be satisfied and not want the uncertainty that change brings.

I'm pretty sure Ford only appeared on Harper's radar after he won...

His strategists are now probably wetting themselves over the idea of possibly using the "Ford momentum" to capture a few North York/Etobicoke/Scarborough seats next election...
Indeed. The brain trust at the Conservative Party is probably working on a get rid of the Gravy Train platform right now ...

... hopefully no one tells them that they ARE the Gravy Train!

Indeed. The brain trust at the Conservative Party is probably working on a get rid of the Gravy Train platform right now ...

... hopefully no one tells them that they ARE the Gravy Train!

I saw the perfect political cartoon w.r.t. that today or yesterday, but damn I can't find it now...

I was just about to post that. Sue Anne Levy needs to fucking get lost. She has way too many conflicts of interest to be reporting on Rob Ford.

Here's a prediction about Ford. He's going to break the law again such as DUI or improper use of his office. In 4 years, it would be unlikely for him not to. He may have been able to contain himself throughout the campaign, but the guy is a slimy lying bigot with a short fuse. Once the honeymoon is over, one misstep and people are going to get all riled up about him. I wouldn't be surprised to see council force him to resign if it's something as serious as offering to buy somebody drugs or a DUI appear while he's in office.

It's going to be an interesting 4 years indeed.

Damn, with this news about the Ford team creating fake twitter accounts (http://torontoist.com/2010/10/rob_fords_team_created_a_fake_twitter_account_and_this_is_it.php) I'm starting to wonder if some of the one-post-wonders supporting Ford in this thread were from members of the campaign.

I don't see anything wrong with the Ford campaign creating a fake twitter account (which they happily admit to doing) in order to get their hands on a copy of the audio tape that Doneit-Henderson boasted about in twitters in which he set up Rob Ford. It was a brilliant campaign strategy that allowed TeamFord to get out AHEAD of the story. What I find disgusting (we all should) is how Doneit-Henderson took advantage of Rob's good nature and propensity to help people in need in an effort to destroy him. If you listen to the ENTIRE secret recording - what is interesting - and what DID NOT get reported - is the fact that Doneit-Henderson claimed that the last time that he bought drugs on the street was in 2001 "with George Smitherman". In 2001 George Smitherman was ALREADY an MPP !

Last edited:
I was just about to post that. Sue Anne Levy needs to fucking get lost. She has way too many conflicts of interest to be reporting on Rob Ford.

Here's a prediction about Ford. He's going to break the law again such as DUI or improper use of his office. In 4 years, it would be unlikely for him not to. He may have been able to contain himself throughout the campaign, but the guy is a slimy lying bigot with a short fuse. Once the honeymoon is over, one misstep and people are going to get all riled up about him. I wouldn't be surprised to see council force him to resign if it's something as serious as offering to buy somebody drugs or a DUI appear while he's in office.

It's going to be an interesting 4 years indeed.

More wishful thinking LOL

It may be wishful, but it's also likely. I'm curious Peepers, when did you start following Ford?

I've known about him since the latter years of Mel Lastman and then met him around the time that Miller got elected, some time after 2003. This guy is the most gaffe prone person you're ever likely to meet. His campaign had him on a very tight leash. Like the Globe & Mail article mentions, his handlers would literally grab the phone from his hand and hang up if they heard him putting a noose around his neck. As Mayor they can't hide him from the public and they can't follow his every move. He will revert back to his old self because that's just who he is. So it's almost certain that he'll commit a mistake serious enough to be taken to council for censure and possibly worse.

And the most vivid hint of what might come is the CBC interview--neither a Harper, nor a Harris, or Bush, or even Palin would offer themselves up so ineptly. And I'm wondering how many of the higher-functioning Ford-supporters-by-convenience (council candidates etc) were left cringing and already having second thoughts...

It may be wishful, but it's also likely. I'm curious Peepers, when did you start following Ford?

I've known about him since the latter years of Mel Lastman and then met him around the time that Miller got elected, some time after 2003. This guy is the most gaffe prone person you're ever likely to meet. His campaign had him on a very tight leash. Like the Globe & Mail article mentions, his handlers would literally grab the phone from his hand and hang up if they heard him putting a noose around his neck. As Mayor they can't hide him from the public and they can't follow his every move. He will revert back to his old self because that's just who he is. So it's almost certain that he'll commit a mistake serious enough to be taken to council for censure and possibly worse.

I think the response from the people of Toronto is "We don't care".

Let's be cynical for a minute here, I suspect for a lot of people, Toronto is where they work and live in. It's just like Walmart is where they shop at. They don't give a damn about Walmart's labour practices or whether the CEO smoked pot. They only care that the products are cheap and of good quality (less important). If forcing Chinese labour to work 16 hours a day help with that, they would gladly ignore such practices. Now Rob Ford is a little harder to ignore, but in the end, whether he makes a fool of himself or even make Toronto a laughing stock does not impact people's life, as long as they pay lower taxes and get the services they want (big ifs).

It's clear the people who voted for him don't care, but that's not what I'm alluding to. I'm suggesting that given his personality -- and I've known him to be this way for almost a decade now so he's not going to change -- he's going to end up breaking the law and city council will do something about it. If it's serious enough, he's going to have to step down. Comitting a crime on your own time is one thing, doing it while holding the office of Mayor is quite another.

Back