News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Do buildings seriously exist where units are only separated by drywall? or is that just another stupid urbantoronto myth (ie cityplace having no pedestrian activity... or the trump tower never getting built).

I personally don't believe it.

Do buildings seriously exist where units are only separated by drywall? or is that just another stupid urbantoronto myth (ie cityplace having no pedestrian activity... or the trump tower never getting built).

I personally don't believe it.

Believe what you like, I live in one and last year finished building one.
Check out the building code at the library, it's not a secret document.

Believe what you like, I live in one and last year finished building one.
Check out the building code at the library, it's not a secret document.

I've been trying to find this out too, I've asked around and searched online but can't find any reference to what building or fire code is in this city for new highrises. Can you provide an online source? Inquiring minds really want to know! I've seen some townhomes built in the past few years that apparently don't have concrete separating units but highrises?

condowalls.jpg

condofloors1.jpg

here is my future condo.All the walls are solid concrete except the front of course since its floor to ceiling windows.Which projects use dry wall to divide the suites,thats really strange to hear that some projects are cutting corners to make more smaller suites by dividing a larger suite.

Which projects use dry wall to divide the suites

the printing factory tower and lofts, Edge "lofts" and the garment factory lofts, just to name a few.

I've been trying to find this out too, I've asked around and searched online but can't find any reference to what building or fire code is in this city for new highrises.

The city requires a one hour fire rating, this can be acheived with 2 layers of 5/8" type X drywall.

the printing factory tower and lofts, Edge "lofts" and the garment factory lofts, just to name a few.

The city requires a one hour fire rating, this can be acheived with 2 layers of 5/8" type X drywall.

those were warehouse conversions?...most of the newer condos are concrete from the ones I seen.

Which projects use dry wall to divide the suites,thats really strange to hear that some projects are cutting corners to make more smaller suites by dividing a larger suite.

Some developers, because the city has asked them to make available larger "family" suitable suites, might be using this type of construction because it's easier to combine two smaller suites into one if the wall is just tear down.

There are a few that are completely concrete-less, as AGTO mentioned, but by and large, it's in the vast minority. Still, do your homework. Personally, I'd never buy something without concrete between suites unless it's special noise reducing drywall or double studded with insulation.

those were warehouse conversions?...

Once again, no. Edge, the printing factor tower, and the garment factory add on are all new construction.

most of the newer condos are concrete from the ones I seen.

I think you mentioned this already, and then a list of new condos with drywall partitions was posted....and now it starts all over again.

I've been trying to find this out too, I've asked around and searched online but can't find any reference to what building or fire code is in this city for new highrises. Can you provide an online source? Inquiring minds really want to know! I've seen some townhomes built in the past few years that apparently don't have concrete separating units but highrises?

I only have the 1997 Ontario Building Code (OBC) handy.. there is a newer one but they are essentially the same. However some of the code numbers have been shuffled around.
A condo would be a Class C structure.
If you look at rule 3.3.4.2 it says that suites in a residential occupancy (which is a class c structure) are to be separated from each other suite and the remainder of the building by a fire separation having a fire-resistance rating of not less than 1 hour.

I cannot find any "official" information on what qualifies for a 1 hour rating, but trust me, double drywall qualifies. If you notice the rule does not just state between suites, but also the remainder of the building (hallway).. I'm sure just about everyone here would agree that the wall between your unit and the hallways is drywall. That same construction is acceptable, at least by code between the suites too.

AGTO, I think you're confusing comments by me, with comments by ducati0000. Maybe go back a page and read the responses again.

Last edited:
AGTO, I think you're confusing comments by me, with comments by ducati0000. Maybe go back a page and read the responses again.

Sorry where is the list again about condos having drywall division rather than concrete.

It's back a page, and based on my personal walkabout a few weeks ago. I only found two that were drywall, the rest - all over downtown, are concrete, as you surmised.

Every example you give above is a conversion. Not a new build.

I only found two that were drywall, the rest - all over downtown, are concrete, as you surmised

You're not very observent or consistant, so I'll just take your opinion with a grain of salt.

AGTO, you really like to try to get into it, don't you?

I've already admitted my mistake with the first quote - on this thread, no less - and corrected myself, so stop taking older quotes out of context.

As for the second quote, I made the effort and did the walkabout to confirm (just in case all my anecdotal evidence was wrong as you suggested it was) and saw ALL of the concrete walls between suites with my own eyes. I even gave you a detailed list - as per your request. If you'd like to contest it, then I suggest you go on your own walk and take some pictures of the condo's I mentioned and then post them here for all to see how wrong I am. Until that happens, quit being so passive aggressive.

Back