News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Stop being such a condecending snob.

Nothing I've said is condescending in the least - it's clear that you're lucid and well versed in construction. I just ask for accuracy, accountability and a lack of aggression in your posts. This isn't the only thread it's been noted on.

Last edited:
Whoa people we were talking about noisy tenants and we get into a fight over ?????.Just say walls that are concrete has a better sound barrier insulation over studded walls.Anyways I took a small tour of my condo and its concrete everywhere.I sure hope anyone of my neighbors decided to install hardwood do it the proper way and use foam backing.

Hey ducati0000, can I ask you how you were able to get those nice pics of your future condo when it's still under construction? :)

Btw, congrats, it looks like it'll be a nice place!

While walking my dog last Sunday I ran into my Dental Hygienist whom I've known for years who moved from a nearby apartment to an older condo in my neighbourhood last fall. We chatted for a while, she and her sister bought the place and love it with one exception, a neighbour above who comes home from wherever in the middle of the night and stomps around for a few hours, often in high heels keeping them awake. She told me that they went through the usual complaint process to the Property Manager including calling security as a witness to the noise with no improvement. They were referred to the BoD who pursued the matter with a letter, again no results. The BoD had to contact the Corporation's lawyer who wrote a letter about the matter, still no improvement. What they had to resort to was putting a lien on the owner's condo above until they either remove the hardwood and install proper noise buffering material or install carpet. If the owner refuses to comply within the time period stated the BoD will take final action by contracting out the job and forcibly entering the suite to remedy the problem the best way that they see fit and defer all costs (including legal) to the owner of the condo above.
I write this story because there are remedies to problems whether it's partying young renters every weekend or neighbours interfering with the quiet enjoyment of another residents. You just have to fight the fight and not remain passive about the matter, chances are if you are in the right you will win the battle.

totally agree..where Im staying now until my condo is completed there are two rental houses to students.The problem of course is the parties they hold,well it took some coaching to get the neighbors involved (elderly) and got a petition going and sent it to the landlord and a month latter all the offending tenants were evicted,in fact we found out these tenants were evicted from the previous location.I will never back down from anyone also if I feel the renters/owners are being inconsiderate towards the neighbors.

totally agree..where Im staying now until my condo is completed there are two rental houses to students.The problem of course is the parties they hold,well it took some coaching to get the neighbors involved (elderly) and got a petition going and sent it to the landlord and a month latter all the offending tenants were evicted,in fact we found out these tenants were evicted from the previous location.I will never back down from anyone also if I feel the renters/owners are being inconsiderate towards the neighbors.

You can't blame the owner for what the renters do. Sometimes if not often, the owners suffer from bad renters as well. It's all good and dandy if the renter behaves, pays on time and keeps your apartment clean. It's a nightmare if the renter trashes your place, do illegal activities or doesn't pay rent. The unit costs the owner money as well. If it's bad, instead of gains, it might even be a losing investment. When it comes to bad renters, even checking credit won't do you any good.

A fine example of how a little work and determination can solve a problem such as this.
Congratulations, and way to go!!!

I have a new condominium being built and there's a clause in the condo documents that states that 60% of hardwood/tile flooring in my unit must be covered by area rugs to decrease noise transmission. Here's the thing: I'm not getting hardwood flooring or tiling done - it's going to be concrete all around. While I'm not wondering about this because I want to be a bad neighbour, I do wonder if such a law is enforceable when the type of flooring that needs to be covered is specified in such a way. Any lawyer's on the thread? Would a bylaw need to be passed to change the wording?

credit checks and referrals do cut down on bad tenants but its not %100 you filter out the bad tenants.Make sure on the rental contract you state that "guest" are not allowed to live in the unit unless stated and the one renting the unit is the one actually living there,you see so many renters renting for their friends who have a bad history records.Legally you have a lot of power but being aggressive to the problem is the key.Use all the means the condo act allows and definitely talk to neighbors and the board about the problems,the last thing the board wants is having lawyers involved.

credit checks and referrals do cut down on bad tenants but its not %100 you filter out the bad tenants.Make sure on the rental contract you state that "guest" are not allowed to live in the unit unless stated and the one renting the unit is the one actually living there,you see so many renters renting for their friends who have a bad history records.Legally you have a lot of power but being aggressive to the problem is the key.Use all the means the condo act allows and definitely talk to neighbors and the board about the problems,the last thing the board wants is having lawyers involved.

If the renters don't want to move. It's time consuming and maybe not able to evict? If they pay on time, how can the owner or board evict them? If they do, they would have to go through the court and that takes time. Then they're allowed a month or so to find new place, etc.

I have a new condominium being built and there's a clause in the condo documents that states that 60% of hardwood/tile flooring in my unit must be covered by area rugs to decrease noise transmission. Here's the thing: I'm not getting hardwood flooring or tiling done - it's going to be concrete all around. While I'm not wondering about this because I want to be a bad neighbour, I do wonder if such a law is enforceable when the type of flooring that needs to be covered is specified in such a way. Any lawyer's on the thread? Would a bylaw need to be passed to change the wording?

Bottom line if it's in the condo docs., the by-law is enforceable. You don't need a lawyer to confirm that. Frankly I'm a little surprised that the developer is allowing concrete floors given the opportunity for noise transmission likely (or possibly) not meeting specs.

If the renters don't want to move. It's time consuming and maybe not able to evict? If they pay on time, how can the owner or board evict them? If they do, they would have to go through the court and that takes time. Then they're allowed a month or so to find new place, etc.

read the fine print on any condo contracts,there is paragraph about being destructive and causing a liability risk for the landlord may lead to eviction.Paying on time doesnt mean you can do what ever you want.I dont think you allow to have the floors "raw" when you move in,you must have a flooring on top of the base concrete.Maybe some else that knows legality of this.

I dont think you allow to have the floors "raw" when you move in,you must have a flooring on top of the base concrete.Maybe some else that knows legality of this.

I was delayed a move-in by a few days at one of my places because the flooring wasn't complete and building code wouldn't let me occupy the suite until it was complete. But perhaps things have changed, that was a new building 12 or 13 years ago. I've seen polished concrete in a few lofts, so who knows.

Back