News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

i've witnessed the construction of cityplace buildings west of spadina over the years and i did see cinder block partitions between suites.

i have no photo handy, but if i find one in my archives, i'll post it.

I'm disappointed. Here's proof that (some) Cityplace partitions are drywalls, not cinder blocks.

photo credit: MatrixElement

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 307
FYI: Andrejs Management pretty much did nothing to ease the stress of the bad neighbors in the unit above mine aside from sending a couple of complaint letters. The only situations I was able to communicate with Property Management is when I called on a phone, that didn't have my name on the call-display, or in person when they weren't away on a long lunch break all at once:eek: Andresjs instructed me to report the noise each time to Security but I was told on several occasions by Concierges that I complain too much about the neighbor so they wouldn't investigate:confused:

Fortunately here is a happy ending to this 11 month nightmare in that I sold my condo and bought a new semi-detached. I wouldn't be surprised if their original plan was to continually put me off so I would move instead of them actually following through with their obligation to enforce the condo rules.

Everything is more peaceful and happy now:D

Last edited:
Congrats PIX....I know your pain.

My condo board will do nothing about the construction (jackhammering) that occurs daily. They say thet the city of Toronto permits construction between 7am and 11pm, and they won't make a by law to restrict it.
Consequently, my loft is on the market, and I hope to sell it to the most obnoxious and noisy person I can find.
This construction has been ongoing for the past 7 years.

AGTO, that's unfortunate that you need to move because someone is that inconsiderate. As someone who also currently living with "ongoing construction" above me, I'd love to speak with these people to see whether they think it won't be noisy to others, or whether they are just so self-involved that have no regard for others.

So the construction is taking place inside the building? If it is:

1) I would think noise that loud must be bother tenants besides you. You may be able to get them onside to to pressure the board.

2)If it has been going on for years, I can't imagine the noise is purely for renovation of the suite itself. It's probably more likely they are using it for some sort of commercial purpose. Is your place zoned live/work? If not, you may be able to use this to your advantage.

It's zoned live work.
The lofts were sold as raw space, so, over the years, as someone moves in, they renovate or completely redo the space.
The original developer retained about 40 suites, and rented them/sold them over the years. This contributed to the ongoing noise.
Many of the existing residents are in a different part of the building...it's a very large building.
Last sunday, the board allowed resurfacing of the parking garage to start, at 7AM, sunday, the contractors bagan jackhammering the concrete floor.
A few months ago, the original developers contractor stacked 25 sheets of drywall outside my door....the doors open out into the hallway. I had to call the fire department to come and let me out. The developer was charged under the fire code, but is challenging it.
The board is heavily involved with "the common element rooftop furniture committee", and the "health and safety committee". The board has no concern for any noise that occurs beyond the times allowed by the city.
There is no concern for the marijuana grow operation, or the two speakeasys in the building either.
I could go on.

BTW. Other tenants have complained about the noise, but they accepted the standard line from the board: "Businesses can make noise, 24/7, but residents cannot"...I've since registered my business with the province, allowing me to "make noise" as well.

It's zoned live work.
The lofts were sold as raw space, so, over the years, as someone moves in, they renovate or completely redo the space.
The original developer retained about 40 suites, and rented them/sold them over the years. This contributed to the ongoing noise.
Many of the existing residents are in a different part of the building...it's a very large building.
Last sunday, the board allowed resurfacing of the parking garage to start, at 7AM, sunday, the contractors bagan jackhammering the concrete floor.
A few months ago, the original developers contractor stacked 25 sheets of drywall outside my door....the doors open out into the hallway. I had to call the fire department to come and let me out. The developer was charged under the fire code, but is challenging it.
The board is heavily involved with "the common element rooftop furniture committee", and the "health and safety committee". The board has no concern for any noise that occurs beyond the times allowed by the city.
There is no concern for the marijuana grow operation, or the two speakeasys in the building either.
I could go on.

BTW. Other tenants have complained about the noise, but they accepted the standard line from the board: "Businesses can make noise, 24/7, but residents cannot"...I've since registered my business with the province, allowing me to "make noise" as well.

AGTO
It's situations like this that prompted me to go freehold. I've had it with the Board/Property Management's blatant disregard for home owners:mad:

In my case I felt helpless and selling was my only recourse as they have the upper hand when it comes to lawyers/Reserve Fund:(

I agree with you.I am totally helpless. There is absolutely no governing body overseeing condo legislation, thus no-one to answer to. Boards can, and will do, whatever they want.
I made the (extremely tough) decision yesterday morning when my new neighbour told me to expect at least 6 weeks of construction noise, 7 days a week, followed by very loud, daily, photography sessions (consisting of 15 to 20 people, and very loud music)....7 days a week.
He was also asking me to pay for soundproofing, so that he can sleep during his off times! I chuckled.
Now I'm frantically looking for a detached home...anywhere!

I agree with you.I am totally helpless. There is absolutely no governing body overseeing condo legislation, thus no-one to answer to. Boards can, and will do, whatever they want.
I made the (extremely tough) decision yesterday morning when my new neighbour told me to expect at least 6 weeks of construction noise, 7 days a week, followed by very loud, daily, photography sessions (consisting of 15 to 20 people, and very loud music)....7 days a week.
He was also asking me to pay for soundproofing, so that he can sleep during his off times! I chuckled.
Now I'm frantically looking for a detached home...anywhere!

Sorry to play the devils advocate....but didn't you know that the building had live/work units in it before you bought?

AGTO I feel for you.Good luck in finding a buyer for your loft,make sure you bring potential buyers during a lull in the neighbors "party time"....... you probably knewthe work lofts are known to attract the "midnight crowd" though,you were hopping you were wrong didnt you:D

Believe it or not, I actually did know the building had live/work lofts, I was looking for live/work, because I live there and work there.

you probably knewthe work lofts are known to attract the "midnight crowd" though,you were hopping you were wrong didnt you

I didn't "hop" around anything ;) I work late, I listen to music, but I don't jackhammer at midnight on a sunday, or barricade residents in their homes.

These the iZone? or other similar on Carlaw? I feel your pain. Live/work is a tricky situation and I avoid all condo's that allow their existence. The condo boards can also be completely screwed in a tax situation with these. One of the reasons I avoided the Liberty Market Lofts.

Believe it or not, I actually did know the building had live/work lofts, I was looking for live/work, because I live there and work there.

I didn't "hop" around anything ;) I work late, I listen to music, but I don't jackhammer at midnight on a sunday, or barricade residents in their homes.

you might be able to fetch $630K +/- for your 2100 SF unit, as i saw an article in the G&M last week about a unit that sold in the Carlaw/Dundas area.

what price and locations are you considering for the DETACHED home ???
semi's are common in the Riverdale/leslieville areas, detached not so readily available.

I'm not limiting myself to a particular neighbourhood.
My upper limit is 800k.
I might just buy a small condo downtown until I can find something better.

Back