News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

ATU and the new trains are supposed to increase capacity by what, 30%? There is no chance that the extension will boost ridership by 30% - that would require the extra riders from the various transit city lines, plus population growth.

Even if the Yonge extension is built, I predict that in 10 years time, the aforementioned upgrades will mean that the subway will feel no more crowded than it is today, even though it is carrying more people. The difference will be that instead of having to let 2 full trains pass by over a 5 minute period, you'll have to let 2 slightly larger trains pass by over a shorter 3 minute period.

I say build the extension ASAP. There is no reason not to build a line that will be successful given that massive capacity increases are soon to be realized. Rush hour crowding is a fact of life in all cities and in all modes. Everyone can't expect to get a seat at 5 pm.

Is there a current timeline for ATU?

Does anyone know how much will Yonge capacity increase when ATC and 7 car trains are implemented?

I know that the new Toronto Rockets will increase Yonge capacity by 30% but that is without the 7 car trains.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how much will Yonge capacity increase when ATC and 7 car trains are implemented?

I know that the new Toronto Rockets will increase Yonge capacity by 30% but that is without the 7 car trains.

That's wrong. The TR provides 10% more by TTC estimates. (1100 per train vs 1000 per old trains)

The bulk of it is supposed to be gained by increasing frequency which requires

1) Purchasing many more TR train sets. There is ZERO money for this, in fact the 10 train addon in the current order was cut.

2) Installation of new automated signal system. I'm not sure if this is funded as of yet.

3) The construction of a three track terminal at Steeles on the Yonge line. Obviously there is no funding for this yet either.

That's wrong. The TR provides 10% more by TTC estimates. (1100 per train vs 1000 per old trains)

The bulk of it is supposed to be gained by increasing frequency which requires

1) Purchasing many more TR train sets. There is ZERO money for this, in fact the 10 train addon in the current order was cut.

2) Installation of new automated signal system. I'm not sure if this is funded as of yet.

3) The construction of a three track terminal at Steeles on the Yonge line. Obviously there is no funding for this yet either.

Do you know if the TTC will receive funding for this if the extension gets built?

Back