News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

A look at Ontario's numbers for Sunday April 19.

New Cases up 5.7%, slight up tick from yesterday, but still the 2nd day in a row under 6%

Also, over 9,600 tests yesterday which is also an improving number.

Total in Hospital: -19 (2.2% change4)

Total in ICU -3 (-1.2%)

Total on Vents - 1 ( 0%)

Deaths: 39 in the last day (+3)

Trendlines are looking positive.

49.2% of cases are now considered resolved (+0.5%) (person has recovered from infection, now symptom free for extended period)

*this is the first report, so far as I know, in which all of hospitalizations, patients in ICU, and patients on Vents are all down*

View attachment 241514

This week beginning tomorrow is going to be a critical one. They forecasted the Ontario peak to likely to take place last week or this one, and we've steadily averaged around 500 new cases each day. I expect numbers to hold at this mark for majority of the next 7 days, and probably going into the final week of April. Hope to see that start tapering off once we get into May.

Last edited:
In so many factories you cannot practice social distancing, that's why this happened....

Also, AIUI many of the people who work in these meat packing plants live in crowded households with other low wage immigrants, including hospitality and long term care home workers. In the USA this is especially the case with undocumented and other low wage Latins working in meat packing and long term care.

Last edited:
So many of these processing plants prey on newly landed immigrants " temp workers" with poor English skills, who can't speak up for their rights. And If they do speak up? They will be replaced with another temp worker. I wonder how many temp workers are going to work with covid symptoms because they fear losing their job? If one good thing comes out of this Covid nightmare, minimum wage temp workers will get more rights and better protection.

So many of these processing plants prey on newly landed immigrants " temp workers" with poor English skills, who can't speak up for their rights. And If they do speak up? They will be replaced with another temp worker. I wonder how many temp workers are going to work with covid symptoms because they fear losing their job? If one good thing comes out of this Covid nightmare, minimum wage temp workers will get more rights and better protection.

Looking at you, Fiera Foods. :mad:

Last edited:
So, someone who worked in the same building as I do died of Coronavirus. He had just retired in January and was a diabetic who lost his leg to the disease. His wife has it too, but is recovering at home.

Last edited:
Two days ago, a relative in their 90s passed after contracting the virus. Yesterday, another relative in their 90s was confirmed positive although asymptomatic. Both in retirement homes.

The kids have been calling it "Boomer Remover" since it started.
When the the Greatest and Silent Generation (born 1910 to 45) started dying off in the 1980s to 2000s there was a massive transfer in wealth, as the experience of the Depression, wars and pandemics let them to save their money, eschew debt and lived frugally. This huge inheritance went to the Boomers, who wasted it in driving up housing prices, investing in e-com bust junk stocks, spending hugely on renovations (i.e. paying someone else for what their parents would have either done themselves or lived without), and glam vacations (their parents drove to the local beach for a weekend and paid cash for a drive up motel, the Boomer went to Bali on credit). Boomers took this inheritance and once it was gone continued in huge increases in debt-fueled consumption.

Now that Boomers are expiring, their Gen X and Z offspring will inherit very little. When my parents died they still owed on the mortgage, not that I ever wanted or expected anything. When my grandparents died my parents inherited a Muskoka cottage, which they quickly sold to, you guessed it, pay someone else to renovate their house, and then took the money to put a down payment on a new, bigger house with more debt, etc. I'm doing it differently for my kids - the trick is to give them the property help or funds before you croak, so to avoid taxes.

The big Covid clear out of our long term and senior care residences is going to be a shocker to many an estate executor, where homes and assets thought to be a windfall for the adult kids are nothing but a banker's mirage.

Last edited:
When the the Greatest and Silent Generation (born 1910 to 45) started dying off in the 1980s to 2000s there was a massive transfer in wealth, as the experience of the Depression, wars and pandemics let them to save their money, eschew debt and lived frugally. This huge inheritance went to the Boomers, who wasted it in driving up housing prices, investing in e-com bust junk stocks, spending hugely on renovations (i.e. paying someone else for what their parents would have either done themselves or lived without), and glam vacations (their parents drove to the local beach for a weekend and paid cash for a drive up motel, the Boomer went to Bali on credit). Boomers took this inheritance and once it was gone continued in huge increases in debt-fueled consumption.

Now that Boomers are expiring, their Gen X and Z offspring will inherit very little. When my parents died they still owed on the mortgage, not that I ever wanted or expected anything. When my grandparents died my parents inherited a Muskoka cottage, which they quickly sold to, you guessed it, pay someone else to renovate their house, and then took the money to but a down payment on a new, bigger house with more debt, etc. I'm doing it differently for my kids - the trick is to give them the property or funds before you croak, so to avoid taxes.

and I am sure people will refer to millennials as X Y Z and such..

Probably. I only mention Boomers as they're the likely victims of Covid19 and thus the turnover of property and assets from this generation to the next will be accelerated.

That is why I found it hilarious when Millienials who pride themselves over not judging entire peoples based on stereotypes embrace memes like "boomer remover" or "ok Boomer".

Back