News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

?

Nah, mate, Oshawa is the Florida of Canada.

God bless the 'Shwa!

Love the following points from this list:

5. When you think of south Oshawa, you think of mullets.

6. You knew spring had arrived when you spotted your first shirtless dude of the season driving his car.

3 staff test positive for coronavirus at city daycare centre

Three staff members at a city-run child care centre have tested positive for the coronavirus.

The city said Tuesday night the three people work at the Jesse Ketchum Early Learning and Child Care Centre at 7 Berryman Road in the Davenport Road and Bay Street area.

Two other staff members and two children are also awaiting test results, the city said in a news release.

“The city continues to reach out to notify the families who have children attending the child care centre. Staff and the 58 children who attended the child care centre from April 21 to April 28 will be asked to remain at home for two weeks from their last day at the child care centre and will be excluded from all Toronto emergency child care centres as a precautionary measure for this same period,” the city said.

The facility has suspended child-care services for 14 days to allow crews to clean and disinfect the building.

North York General Hospital reports COVID-19 outbreak

North York General Hospital is reporting an outbreak of COVID-19 on one of its units after three patients tested positive for the virus.

A notice about the outbreak was posted on the hospital’s website Tuesday.

“Our Reactivation Unit - 5 West, is currently on outbreak due to three patients testing positive for COVID-19,” the hospital said in its update. “The health and safety of our patients is our top priority and all appropriate precautions are in place. Patients and staff continue to be monitored.”

Well the issue is there's a lot of people that frankly just quit their jobs but the businesses are still open and just collecting $2,000 at home

Well the issue is there's a lot of people that frankly just quit their jobs but the businesses are still open and just collecting $2,000 at home

1) To whom are you responding?

2) What evidence do you have for that assertion?

The CBC did run a piece last night about a business in Winnipeg that is trying to prepare to re-open, but is running into workers basically declining to come back to work because they feel collecting CERB is a better option (not more money, but a better risk-adjusted option, I suppose).

They also had a labour and employment lawyer comment saying that if a business is safe, and an employee refuses to come to work, they can be dismissed (and, in this case, would no longer qualify for CERB as they didn't lose their job as a result of COVID-19). How this will be handled in practice of course remains to be seen.

The CBC did run a piece last night about a business in Winnipeg that is trying to prepare to re-open, but is running into workers basically declining to come back to work because they feel collecting CERB is a better option (not more money, but a better risk-adjusted option, I suppose).

They also had a labour and employment lawyer comment saying that if a business is safe, and an employee refuses to come to work, they can be dismissed (and, in this case, would no longer qualify for CERB as they didn't lose their job as a result of COVID-19). How this will be handled in practice of course remains to be seen.

Important to note that @Jasmine18 's post was about workers currently quitting jobs of still-operating businesses and the implication that this was occurring on a large scale.

As someone with insight into what some of the large companies that are still operating are going through..........

I would suggest that's not entirely accurate.

I would suggest that some part-time employees who didn't really need the money quit their jobs; as did some high-risk employees (elderly); those were overwhelmingly low-paid, entry-level staff as well.

It might have numerically amounted to as much as 25% of frontline staff; but it did not amount to 25% of FTE.

I would suggest this is/was not what was being implied by Jasmine's post.

I'll have to find the Winnipeg story in order to comment more intelligently; but taken as one-off its anecdotal.

We'll have a much better picture of this, when for better/worse Quebec starts lifting restrictions in a large way in the next 2 weeks.

It's no surprise. That was seen coming quite a while ago. The $500 payments can be a higher net income than minimum wage, especially if you have expenses related to having employment like childcare costs. Manitoba specifically has a lower minimum wage, I think still below $12/hour. There's also the people who don't realise their Coronafare payments are taxable income, and that's going to cause one hilarious shitstorm this time next year.

Important to note that @Jasmine18 's post was about workers currently quitting jobs of still-operating businesses and the implication that this was occurring on a large scale.

I misunderstood, apologies. Agreed that this a) likely isn't occurring on a large scale, and b) one would assume, the government will have the ability to identify those who didn't lose their job but quit voluntarily, and be able to claw back CERB payments (or maybe I'm being too optimistic).

Here is the segment from the National. This is of course anecdotal, and I wouldn't suggest it makes a data point on its own. I personally don't believe this will be widespread, though I am sure there will be a number of people collecting CERB who fear going back to work (even where the workplace is deemed safe), and so I can see this being a small issue as we re-open.

It will be a significant issue getting scared workers back to work.
What is deemed "safe" and will people believe it after months of being told they will die if they leave the house

Can't imagine anything customer facing, retail and hospitality, being "safe" at all in two or four weeks.

Back to facts...........

Ontario's numbers for today.

Lowest growth in new cases since early March, at 2.3%

More cases resolved yesterday than new cases with resolved rate climbing to 61.1% (first time over 60)

Hospitalizations up a hair (20 cases or 2%)

But number of people in ICU down 4

Number of people on vents down 1

Deaths down to 45

Ah, here's the story of how Singapore blew up their own success on Covid..........

They have over 180,000 migrant workers in that relatively small country............

And they are all housed in tight quarters, sometimes up to 20 to a room, in bunks.

Indoor, proximity are 2 key drivers of contagion. What could go wrong? #exploitation

* something to watch for here, we have similar situations on many farms for our migrant workers. Lest I be seen to let the home team off the hook.

Last edited:
Apart from Singapore, I find the case study of the Covid timeline in other places like Japan and Russia to be interesting. Compared to neighbouring South Korea, Japan was initially not hit as hard but took a softer approach at controlling the virus spread. However, a second lingering wave caught up to Japan in April and they had to declare a national state of emergency.

While Russia had took initial tough measures and held up well in the beginning. They even offered support to European countries like Italy during their peak. However, Russia is now feeling the strain in recent weeks.

Separately, Hong Kong fared well in the beginning but took a hit of second wave when international students, expats and vacationers returned home from abroad. They've kept things under control and look steady right now.

Back