News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Apart from Singapore, I find the case study of the Covid timeline in other places like Japan and Russia to be interesting. Compared to neighbouring South Korea, Japan was initially not hit as hard but took a softer approach at controlling the virus spread. However, a second lingering wave caught up to Japan in April and they had to declare a national state of emergency.

While Russia had took initial tough measures and held up well in the beginning. They even offered support to European countries like Italy during their peak. However, Russia is now feeling the strain in recent weeks.

Separately, Hong Kong fared well in the beginning but took a hit of second wave when international students, expats and vacationers returned home from abroad. They've kept things under control and look steady right now.
As long as the health care system isn’t being overwhelmed, new cases aren’t a big deal. That’s why Quebec and other countries are beginning to open up, not that they’ve eradicated the disease, but that Covid19 is at a level they can manage. Outside of long term care homes, Quebec is managing.

Close the Quebec border. I hope the Covid from there doesn't cross into Ontario. I would never vote for him, but i have complete respect for Doug Ford for not rushing to re-open the province.

Regardless of merit, closing inter-provincial boundaries is illegal, and unconstitutional.

There is some limited basis for closing one particular crossing or a qualified travel restriction, but not a wholesale closure.

Moreover, a substantial portion of the Federal Civil Service works in Ottawa, but lives in Gatineau.

Yes, Quebec is opening a bit early, relative to circumstance; and its an experiment which may or may not prove wise.

But its important to realize that the bulk of cases in Quebec, as in Ontario are in LTC and other institutional settings. Those folks will not be traveling to Ontario.

There is fairly little transmission in the community, and virtually none in outdoor settings or those indoors in which people are practicing social distancing.

Quebec should be minded closely, but no reason to be overly alarmed, particularly from an Ontario perspective.

Regardless of merit, closing inter-provincial boundaries is illegal, and unconstitutional.

There is some limited basis for closing one particular crossing or a qualified travel restriction, but not a wholesale closure.

Moreover, a substantial portion of the Federal Civil Service works in Ottawa, but lives in Gatineau.

Yes, Quebec is opening a bit early, relative to circumstance; and its an experiment which may or may not prove wise.

But its important to realize that the bulk of cases in Quebec, as in Ontario are in LTC and other institutional settings. Those folks will not be traveling to Ontario.

There is fairly little transmission in the community, and virtually none in outdoor settings or those indoors in which people are practicing social distancing.

Quebec should be minded closely, but no reason to be overly alarmed, particularly from an Ontario perspective.

Germany, who also did a lot better than Quebec loosened restrictions too early and demonstrated that the asymptomatic people continue to spread to vulnerable. Now they’re restricting again.

New Zealand is maintaining social distancing requirements as they open. So if we keep access to LTCs controlled, along with the new preventive measures, and we continue retail protocols and restrict large gatherings for a while yet, we should be able to maintain control.

As for new cases not being a big deal, they are if it’s you or your family member. I know a couple of people who were extremely ill and two now who have died. And we are only just beginning to learn about associated health impacts, so I would just as soon not catch it thanks.

Germany, who also did a lot better than Quebec loosened restrictions too early and demonstrated that the asymptomatic people continue to spread to vulnerable. Now they’re restricting again.

For clarity's sake.

Germany has not yet tightened or reimposed any restrictions. (unless that was announced in the last hours)

What they did say was they are considering it.

The R-Factor in Germany has risen from 0.7 to 1.0

1.0 is essentially holding steady w/no increase or decline in cases on a net basis.

You want the number under 1, ideally.

Germany has said if it rises above 1, they will likely intervene.

Stay tuned on that file.

For clarity's sake.

Germany has not yet tightened or reimposed any restrictions. (unless that was announced in the last hours)

What they did say was they are considering it.

The R-Factor in Germany has risen from 0.7 to 1.0

1.0 is essentially holding steady w/no increase or decline in cases on a net basis.

You want the number under 1, ideally.

Germany has said if it rises above 1, they will likely intervene.

Stay tuned on that file.

I love your point-form posting style, haha!

[

it is closed to non essential travelers.

So far as I know, there are no checkpoints from Gatineau to Ontario, only the other way around.

Civil Servants would be considered essential travel from home to work to home.

Lots of people are making that trip every day, I assure you.

Closed is a relative term.

New Zealand is maintaining social distancing requirements as they open. So if we keep access to LTCs controlled, along with the new preventive measures, and we continue retail protocols and restrict large gatherings for a while yet, we should be able to maintain control.

As for new cases not being a big deal, they are if it’s you or your family member. I know a couple of people who were extremely ill and two now who have died. And we are only just beginning to learn about associated health impacts, so I would just as soon not catch it thanks.

It's hard to compare countries against each other because there are so many factors. People are praising New Zealand, but it's an island with a small population, so obviously there will be a huge difference.

So far as I know, there are no checkpoints from Gatineau to Ontario, only the other way around.

Civil Servants would be considered essential travel from home to work to home.

Lots of people are making that trip every day, I assure you.

Closed is a relative term.

Gatineau police set up roadblocks on the Quebec side of the Alexandra Bridge on April 1. The roadblock is intended to stop non-essential travel into the province. (Francis Ferland/CBC)

roadblocks.JPG

Gatineau police set up roadblocks on the Quebec side of the Alexandra Bridge on April 1. The roadblock is intended to stop non-essential travel into the province. (Francis Ferland/CBC)

roadblocks.JPG

Right, but look at the line of cars............lots of travel is in fact happening.

That's all I was saying, closure is an illusion.

Because the people in those cars had an 'essential' reason to travel doesn't mean they didn't travel...........they did.

Also, I'd like to note that not one of the officers in this picture (well, you can't see the face of the one whose back is turned)....is wearing a mask. Just saying.

Last edited:
Issue is there is a lot of Misinformation around CERB online...Like my dad thought he could get 2k and stay at home and ride this out but I told him he cant.

I know in Indian Media there been a lot of misconceptions that govt is paying money and they can sit at home even if they have a job which is false and a lot of Indian MP's have gone on such programs and had to explain no its not that.

I never said it's on a large scale but 1% of millions is still a lot of people and it's not that such people are "lazy" it's more they gonna be complaining when the govt claws it back.

I know 2 people who do this just in my circle. Cause the issue is they work part-time and you make around 2k or so after tax every 4 weeks so staying at home seems worth it and they been let go now of their company but the company still operates.

I know for a fact the govt said they are not checking anything as they cant so anyone who applies gets the benefit which is good as not to bother people in such times.

Its not right-wing or left-wing really... Those people are gonna be complaining after when Govt takes the money back I imagine and it's going to be another can of worms.

It's hard to compare countries against each other because there are so many factors. People are praising New Zealand, but it's an island with a small population, so obviously there will be a huge difference.
Absolutely. But even with their relatively low case numbers, they are moving to reopen slowly and carefully.

Back