News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

A piece of France is the least of our concerns. Let’s support ourselves first.

Listen, I haven't been to Europe in 6 years (rip family) and after spending a combined 15 weeks on road trips west and east, I'm going to France, NA for a couple of days.

Family Dollar security guard in Michigan fatally shot, apparently for asking a woman to don a mask before entering the store. Obviously tragic............but beyond that, too senseless to contemplate.

That's what freedom looks like.

The freedom to be a selfish dick.
The freedom to die at a shitty job.

Land of the free.....never mind the incarceration rates.

I think you need to step back and look at the whole picture and at 'who's in charge'. The country's Public Health doctors like Drs Tam, deVillla, and Henry are offering advice to their political masters. It is not their job (nor should it be) to decide whether things should open or close or whether we should wear masks. They offer MEDICAL advice based on public health concerns and norms and the Prime Minister, Premier or Mayor then needs to evaluate this advice and balance it with advice he is (presumably) getting from economic experts, business people, 'his gut" or a ouija board.

Presidents, Prime Ministers, Mayors and Premiers are certainly wise to listen carefully to medical advice on public health matters but it is then THEIR responsibility to balance it with advice from others who, one hopes, are equally skilled in economics, sociology, psychology or politics!

But this is complicated by having the advisors at the podium. It's a double-edged sword - their expertise lends credence to the issue and they can give intelligent answers to science-based questions without having them filtered or stumbled through by a politician or anybody else that isn't familiar or comfortable with the topic. We have all seen the evidence from the US where some politicians think they are medical experts.

Quite frankly, we want to hear from them. It would be much better if they had the discipline to defer anything that smacks of public policy or speculation.

I don't have a problem with inconsistencies in the face evolving circumstances and knowledge. I would much rather see that than digging in simply for the sake of a consistent messaging.

I doubt that public speaking a media management is part of the skill sets they interview for when looking for a senior public health position. That may change.

Reactions: DSC
That’s interesting, as the publicly-owned places, like Fudger House have four people to a room, whereas the private places usually have single rooms.

Shared rooms is not a public/private distinction - but more of an age of facility issue. Fudger is a really old home - and it won't be around for long (I suspect it will be getting replaced by the new build on George St.)

AoD

That’s interesting, as the publicly-owned places, like Fudger House have four people to a room, whereas the private places usually have single rooms.

That's not accurate when looking at the province as a whole.

Bobcagyeon was not a public facility, neither is Eatonville in Toronto, both have ward beds and terrible outbreaks. Both are for-profit facilities.

Also, the vast majority the City-owned LTCs do not have ward beds. Fudger is the last City facility slated to be addressed by capital renewal, and in fact will likely be closed circa 2032 or thereabouts.

Certainly private rooms are less common in publicly owned facilities.

However, they aren't all that common in private facilities either, because they are quite costly, and the government doesn't cover the premium for private rooms.

The market is relatively small.

Non-profits are also a large part of the market, some are excellent, but others not so much, varies widely.

Shared rooms is not a public/private distinction - but more of an age of facility issue. Fudger is a really old home - and it won't be around for long (I suspect it will be getting replaced by the new build on George St.)

AoD

That is the probable outcome; though, many smaller LTC operators in the central portion of the City may not be renewing their facility licenses. The City is open to maintaining Fudger as 'bridge space' pending replacement LTC capacity.

The site will almost certainly not be redeveloped as LTC unless there are land acquisitions as the home would end being too small to operate efficiently.

Edit to Add:

Here's the City's Capital Renewal Program for LTCs as approved in 2015:

Here's the thought-process from that plan on Fudger House:

Last edited:
I have a friend and her job is restarting Monday and she was like "oh I rather stay home and just be safe and get the money"

I was like well:

1. You live alone and your in the early 20s so your risk is very low of getting sick much.
2. If you dont go to work you will lose your job and there the money you will get from CERB will become invalid and be paid back
3. When things go back to normal you won't be able to get a job easily as many people will not have jobs.

I am saying there are a lot of choices people will have to make and its going to be hard.

You can choose not to return to work and stay home and maybe screw yourself in the long term but to some their short term safety is important.

However, if you are healthy and young and live alone you should not expect to lockdown at home for a year and have others give you money.

My point is instead of blanket policies we need more targeted plans.

This is a curious story, and disturbing if you happen to be black, and British. Blacks as compared to whites in the UK at large are dying at a rate 4x greater from Covid.

A portion of this difference is tied to socio-economic factors; even though Britain has the NHS which should have mitigated this to at least some degree.

But even when adjusting for these, the difference is still 2x. In reading the details, they also made adjustments for region (ie. comparing London to London) .

The actual study is here:

With "elective surgery" reappeared soon, what about dental surgery?

Is it safe to go to my dentist? Your COVID-19 questions answered

From dental appointments to PPE disposal, here's what you’re asking us today

From link.

My dentist is taking patients again, but is it safe?

Dental offices are reopening in Saskatchewan and Manitoba this week, but Randy Y. is wondering whether dentists have enough PPE to keep patients safe.

In Saskatchewan, some dental offices are staying closed, because they don't have enough personal protective equipment (PPE), including N95 masks for emergency procedures. But others are open, and are taking appointments to treat anything causing pain or infection. However, simpler appointments for things like cleanings will have to wait for now.

How are dentists keeping themselves, their staff, and their patients safe?

"You'll be wearing a gown. I'll be wearing a gown. I'll be in a hairnet, all that kind of stuff. So, it will be a different experience," said Dr. Parviz Yazdani whose clinic in Saskatchewan opened Monday.

The College of Dental Surgeons of Saskatchewan says the following measures will be in place at clinics that reopen:

• All patients will be asked a series of questions to make sure they aren't showing COVID-19 symptoms — their temperature will also be taken.
  • If drilling is required, the college asks dentists to do the procedure in an enclosed room with a closeable door.
  • Since many dental offices have an open concept layout, a large plastic tent with a zipper door can be set up around the work space.
  • The operating room must remain closed for two hours, for dust to settle, before it can be cleaned.

Dentists in Manitoba are taking similar precautions. "We recognize that a lot of Manitobans have been waiting patiently to have their dental care needs managed and dentists want to get to their urgent issues first," said Dr. Marc Mollot, president of the Manitoba Dental Association.

Other provinces including Quebec, are looking to Saskatchewan and Manitoba to see how their dentists cope with COVID-19. "No dentist wants to go back to work until we get access to adequate PPE from our distributors," said Dr. Christine Nguyen Khac, in Quebec.

Nationally, the Canadian Dental Association says it is working with government officials to help offices gradually reopen to provide more services. "Complying with social distancing guidelines and keeping patients, dentists and the dental staff protected are top priorities," said the association.

Here is more information about what to do if you need to see your dentist during the pandemic.

From link.

"In Europe, surgery was mostly associated with barber-surgeons who also used their hair-cutting tools to undertake surgical procedures, often at the battlefield and also for their employers. With advances in medicine and physiology, the professions of barbers and surgeons diverged; by the 19th century barber-surgeons had virtually disappeared, and surgeons were almost invariably qualified doctors who had specialized in surgery. Surgeon continued, however, to be used as the title for military medical officers until the end of the 19th century, and the title of Surgeon General continues to exist for both senior military medical officers and senior government public health officers."

Just wondering. If we need a haircut, could your "surgeon" cut your hair? ?

I can see dentists reopening shortly. Dentists are an essential service after a certain point given that people need various check-ups and cleanings to prevent disease and other oral health issues.

Dentists are usually associated with cleanings and so forth but try not going there for more than 6 months and see what happens. Not going to a dentist can lead to rotten teeth, gingivitis along with the formation of harmful bacteria. What happens in your mouth could have a knock-off effect on your overall health.

Back