News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Yes stay home when you are sick!! Don't go shopping, don't go to work, don't leave the house. At every place i worked at, people go to work sick as a dog looking like death, so they can save sick days for those hot summer months when they get "sick" and have to rest on a beach.
Stop touching your face and you're okay for the most part.

Yes stay home when you are sick!! Don't go shopping, don't go to work, don't leave the house. At every place i worked at, people go to work sick as a dog looking like death, so they can save sick days for those hot summer months when they get "sick" and have to rest on a beach.

Not everyone have the luxury of paid sick days - especially part-time service workers.

AoD

I have a colleague who had booked a March Break vacation to Disney World Florida (not a cruise) and are supposedly still planning to follow through on it. My cousin from New York had prebooked a trip to Hong Kong months in advance with his family for April, but are heavily considering cancelling, and may have already done so. I received a NextDeparture.ca email alert saying that round trip airfare to Tokyo, Japan are only $452 for various dates throughout 2020, and even as late as January 2021. Although it's not necessarily on my travel radar anyways.

Not everyone have the luxury of paid sick days - especially part-time service workers.

AoD

That's true, temp workers will be out of a job if they take sick days. Companies can send workers back to the temp agencies with no questions asked.

That's true, temp workers will be out of a job if they take sick days. Companies can send workers back to the temp agencies with no questions asked.

A certain government rolled back mandatory paid sick days legislation.... I guess it isn't too late to have "Open for infections" as a provincial tagline for the old new license plates.

AoD

My brother and sister-in-law had a western Pacific cruise planned for April, with stops in Hong Kong, Cambodia, Viet Nam, etc. Luckily, the cruise company cancelled so reimbursement has already happened. My wife gets seasick easily and I think cruise ships are petri dishes so they never were on our retirement to-do list anyway.

The number of cases is potentially wrong (as in lower) as in some places, they underreport, don't have lab kits, and some people don't contact medical services when they show symptoms.

• World health officials say the case fatality rate for COVID-19 is 3.4% globally, higher than previous estimates of about 2%.
  • “Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a press briefing at the agency’s headquarters in Geneva.
“Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a press briefing at the agency’s headquarters in Geneva. In comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected, he said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/03/who...-globally-higher-than-previously-thought.html

A more local take on the preparatory work - from the Globe:

And more:

AoD

Freeland to lead a cabinet committee to deal with this.

That is good she is one of the few ministers that is highly capable.

As lads in the 1970s our mother would force my brothers and I to go to school in all weathers and physical conditions. If you weren't bleeding or barfing, you were in class. And yes, we three did win some sort of recognition from the principal for near perfect attendance. It didn't do me much good though.

Yes, that is the mantra I grew up with -- suck it up and go to school / work / sports practice / wherever no matter what. We now realize that it's far better to stay home and not spread germs.

Back