News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This gets me to thinking about Union Station.

I was going through there earlier and the York Concourse was slammed full of people. I got to thinking what would happen if one person was sick in and amongst them. Not an ideal situation.

This gets me to thinking about Union Station.

I was going through there earlier and the York Concourse was slammed full of people. I got to thinking what would happen if one person was sick in and amongst them. Not an ideal situation.

Not just Union Station - basically the entire transit system, theatres, concerts, places of worship, stadium/arenas, gyms, etc. At some point officials will have to make a call for some highly disruptive policies.

AoD

No country in the world applied a blanket ban - other than North Korea, which I would hardly consider to be a country with reasonable best practices. It is pretty clear at this point that you can only slow - not stop - the spread of the disease - and the latter requires a decent ground game in public health.

AoD

Italy has locked down the country.

Not just Union Station - basically the entire transit system, theatres, etc. At some point officials will have to make a call for some highly disruptive policies.

AoD

As I said before, I would be ok if they shut down the TTC and GO transit (in the GTA) to prevent contagion. These policies may not be ideal but they are warranted.

Italy has locked down the country.

So did China - all after very clear evidence of community spread had emerged. You probably won't get buy-in and compliance without the latter.

As I said before, I would be ok if they shut down the TTC and GO transit (in the GTA) to prevent contagion. These policies may not be ideal but they are warranted.

Keep in mind what shutting down TTC and GO alone will mean - basically shut down the entire tertiary education system; a good chunk of the financial heart of the country, public sector workforce, etc. I would be ok with it but it needs buy in, and everything need to be in place (how will essential workers get to work - what are essential workers, what kind of protection will they need; compensation for closed businesses, compensation for people who need to be paid and live paycheque to paycheque, etc).

AoD

If you can, riding your bike seems like a good alternative. No exposure to potentially sick people and some exercise at the same time. Fortunately I work from home, I shop online regularly, and I seldom have to go to meetings/conferences/etc.

I don't think they are testing everyone who comes in contact with someone. Even with the doctor at Juravinski, they are advising patients to monitor for symptoms and self-isolate, but I don't think they're all getting tested -- and they are a vulnerable population. A friend of mine is one of the organizers of the mining convention that was held this past weekend with an attendee testing positive -- there was plenty of hand shaking and contact with attendees -- and she hasn't been asked to take the test.
Well, none of this exactly is inspiring confidence in our response as a society to this pandemic.

I now know two people who worked at the convention. One of them contacted Public Health who reviewed their situation, determined they weren't demonstrating any symptoms, and were low risk. However, because she works with the public, she was asked to self-isolate (which she had started as soon as she heard the news) and to continue monitoring her health and advise Public Health if things change. I think that's reasonable.

Well, none of this exactly is inspiring confidence in our response as a society to this pandemic.

I do feel like our government is not doing enough. Caribana, Jurassic Park, Pride, Doors Open Toronto, Etc should all be banned. There should be no large gatherings permitted.

The problem is that the public won't react well and people will cry poor if large events are curtailed. As I said to my cousin, politicians need to grow a pair and do what's necessary not just save themselves.

I do feel like our government is not doing enough. Caribana, Jurassic Park, Pride, Doors Open Toronto, Etc should all be banned. There should be no large gatherings permitted.

The problem is that the public won't react well and people will cry poor if large events are curtailed. As I said to my cousin, politicians need to grow a pair and do what's necessary not just save themselves.

Those events are so far in the future - just think of what, the Home Show starts this weekend; ditto March Break.

AoD

I now know two people who worked at the convention. One of them contacted Public Health who reviewed their situation, determined they weren't demonstrating any symptoms, and were low risk. However, because she works with the public, she was asked to self-isolate (which she had started as soon as she heard the news) and to continue monitoring her health and advise Public Health if things change. I think that's reasonable.

Yeah self-isolate at home is superior - stay away from the hospitals unless one really needs to be there.

AoD

What actions? As if banning goods and travel to and from Europe will resolve community spread - which they don't have a clue how bad it truly is - in the US. That's a distraction. Seriously, don't be dumb.

AoD
But Canada will have to follow America's actions I imagine.

What I mean is Donald Trump has raised this from zero to 100.

As I projected the day of a passive response most likely are over in Canada

Back