News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Thanks. Didn't feel like opening Statscan, and wasn't aware that the Government of Ontario webpage had an easy to access resource.

Still, the difference between 55.8% and 63% seems not overly significant and in line with what you might expect, especially when you consider that those age cohorts are the most likely to be commuting to and from work/school. The sensationalized article heading makes it seem like this should be considered something out of the ordinary (rather than in line with well, demographics), perhaps with the implication that young people are out partying and disobeying social distancing protocols. I suppose whatever works in order to drive clicks from their target audiences.

Thanks. Didn't feel like opening Statscan, and wasn't aware that the Government of Ontario webpage had an easy to access resource.

Even the Ontario webpage is an "estimate" derived from the 2016 Statscan figures, so even that isn't truly accurate (although you'd think it's directionally correct). Statscan data would be 4 years out of date anyways.

You'd wonder, with government deficits from COVID and the previous budget cuts for Census long form, what the implications are longer term for census data. To be clear, for anyone making any logical, educated, science-based decision making (i.e. opposite of what's going on south of the border), you want to keep Statscan funding up as much as you can.

Even the Ontario webpage is an "estimate" derived from the 2016 Statscan figures, so even that isn't truly accurate (although you'd think it's directionally correct). Statscan data would be 4 years out of date anyways.

You'd wonder, with government deficits from COVID and the previous budget cuts for Census long form, what the implications are longer term for census data. To be clear, for anyone making any logical, educated, science-based decision making (i.e. opposite of what's going on south of the border), you want to keep Statscan funding up as much as you can.
Absolutely. I hope this is a subject that is dropped across the aisle. That Statscan data is essential for making business and investment decisions too on the private sector side, so it is not just a policy-making tool for the public sector.

With the impacts of COVID, the long form census data takes on an even greater importance than before!

Ontario is reporting 409 cases of #COVID19 as more than 41,800 tests were completed. Locally, there are 204 new cases in Toronto with 66 in Peel and 40 in Ottawa. 65% of today’s cases are in people under the age of 40.

Starting to see hospitalizations slightly rise. It will be interesting to see how much this spike translates into hospitalizations/deaths. At least it is mostly spreading in relatively young. It gives us a chance to get it under control without substantially adding to mortality. I imagine LTC are going back into lockdown for visitors.

And i thought 5 hours was a long wait.

No way any young adult is going to wait that long. They'll see the line, decide they feel mostly well and decide to walk away.

Starting to see hospitalizations slightly rise. It will be interesting to see how much this spike translates into hospitalizations/deaths. At least it is mostly spreading in relatively young. It gives us a chance to get it under control without substantially adding to mortality. I imagine LTC are going back into lockdown for visitors.
I've heard of one that has already done so. It will be interesting to see. Also, what about testing for LTC visitors? It's not mentioned in the latest provincial info re testing, and the government is urging people to only go for testing if they are showing symptoms because of the line ups. So what about those who need testing for work, medical procedures and visiting? There aren't that many pharmacies that will be doing the asymptomatic testing, and most of them aren't even ready for today's scheduled start up.

I always thought that the policy of having a negative test in the past 2 weeks to allow visiting LTC is a bit of a joke. Testing negative last week does not mean you are negative today.

My home province is a complete shambles as usual:
Quebec reports 637 new cases – biggest one-day jump since May

Wonder how many would have added to Florida's COVID-19 numbers?

See link. Needs more investigation.

Desjardins Bank is among Canada’s top ten commercial banks and is the largest in the Province of Quebec. Desjardins arrived in Hallandale Breach, Florida in 1992, with the sole purpose of serving South Florida’s French-Canadian population. Today, Desjardins has three branches in Broward County and one in Palm Beach County, opened in 2016.

In Florida, Desjardins has more than 26,000 customers and is growing at a net rate of 1,000 accounts annually. 96% of the bank’s customers are Canadian, of whom a large majority (90%) hail from Quebec. The bank’s main mission is to serve Desjardins customers in Canada who visit Florida and need easy access to their funds during their stay.

I suspect the hypothesis that Covid-19 is mutating to become more contagious and less deadly is correct; however, based on the earlier strain 0.6-0.7 percent global average mortality estimate you’re still looking at 50 million global deaths absent intervention.

I think it’s difficult at the moment to directly compare to the Spanish flu. The developed world has a much larger population of vulnerable people due to aging and medical interventions, urban versus rural split etc.

Back