News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Quebec didn't allow people from one region to travel to another region, complete with roadblocks. So if you lived in Montreal, you couldn't go to Quebec City or whatever.

Quebec didn't allow people from one region to travel to another region, complete with roadblocks. So if you lived in Montreal, you couldn't go to Quebec City or whatever.
that wont happen in Ontario and as i said your issue is people meeting in an area not going 100s of km.

Rule number one Jasmine.. never argue with a mod.

I am not arguing i am saying lockdown 1 worked generally out of fear and compliance.

Lockdown 2 if it happens would require a lot more of a stick that i am unsure in Canada we are willing to go down that road.

that wont happen in Ontario and as i said your issue is people meeting in an area not going 100s of km.
That was simply an example. But to relate it to the GTA, it would be the same as people living in Markham not being able to go to Mississauga. They haven't reinstituted that yet, but it did exist. Currently, if you have anyone in your home in a red zone (Montreal for example), you can all get fined. I don't think Ford is brave enough to do that here ... instead he suggests that you don't associate with anyone outside of your household (all while leaving restaurants and bars open), but maybe he should.

We've all gone without seeing people we would like to see, be it a close family member or someone we're dating. There are no easy answers, but there are creative solutions on an individual basis. In my neighbourhood, people sit at the end of their respective driveways and visit. I see groups of people spaced out in parks socializing. Schools are holding outdoor classes. Restaurants are nice but not essential, you can grab something for takeout and have a romantic dinner out of doors. Yes, that will be trickier as the weather gets colder.

The whining about things not being fair or boring or it's taking too long gets to be a bit much when people's health is at stake. Not just their lives, because death rates aren't that high statistically ... although when it's someone you know that dies, that rather changes your perspective. Check out articles and information on long haulers, these people could be living with the effects of this virus for years, as will our health care system.

Actually, in Montreal, you can still have a romantic partner over to your house.

"Inviting people from another address into your home or cottage is prohibited, unless you live alone – then you’re permitted to have one visitor."

Plus I think the public won't support such an extreme lockdown in Ontario. Just cause you to want it, a lot of people won't.

I think it would be very difficult to make intra-GTA checkpoints work, just with the amount of essential worker traffic. I remember in April my employer was talking about getting essential worker 'papers' to be able to present at checkpoints if it came to that.

I don't think we should be vilifying people seeing romantic partners as a risk to the broader community. I don't think that is a significant mode of transmission. It is more large gatherings. Maybe ask people to put the brakes on casual sex with multiple partners. And if we are going to be living with waves of COVID for another year, it has to be sustainable from a mental health standpoint.

I don't think we should be vilifying people seeing romantic partners as a risk to the broader community. I don't think that is a significant mode of transmission. It is more large gatherings. Maybe ask people to put the brakes on casual sex with multiple partners. And if we are going to be living with waves of COVID for another year, it has to be sustainable from a mental health standpoint.

Well yeah, I do meet my fiance that I am looking to marry. We live alone and work from home and only go outdoors for hikes. The only thing i do is grocery shop really and stay home on free days like today.

When cases escalated in mid-September we both stopped seeing our friends even from distance. So my social bubble is just me and him.

Its just people on here are so quick to ban everyone and everything on here and forget this is 6 months into this and there is NO END IN SIGHT. We have to reach reasonable accommodations for some things.

Like your anger should be at the waste yutes on king street getting wasted in groups of 10-15 at a bar.

Nothing wrong with going outdoors. People should be going outdoors for a whole lot of reasons.

I don't want to ban everything or everyone. I want better restrictions on places that have shown to be sources of spread. I want more logic and less emotion.

I think it would be very difficult to make intra-GTA checkpoints work, just with the amount of essential worker traffic. I remember in April my employer was talking about getting essential worker 'papers' to be able to present at checkpoints if it came to that.

It would not be easy but you could do it i would say the GTA would be easier then Ottawa or Eastern Ontario.

In terms of Western Quebec and Eastern Ontario the following were allowed

1)If you lived in Quebec or Ontario and work in the other your were allowed to go.

2)If you had a cottage you were allowed a limited amount of trips

3)If you had a medical appointment

Yes, there are always exceptions. Not the cottage though ... family lives in Ottawa and owns a place in Tremblant, they weren't allowed, at least not at the checkpoints they tried. Friends in Northern Ontario couldn't cross their checkpoints (except for work or medical).

Like as i said the public is divided now, so forced compliance I dont think is going to be as effective as you think.

Throw a few in jail, make sure everyone knows their names, their incarceration, and that the experience is as terrible as possible and see how compliance will go then. I am sick and tired of treating this as an optional "nice to have". And people who don't follow rules in general doesn't give two damns about targeted measures - the ones you have suggested pages ago are so laughably complex, it just begs for unintentional violations - nevermind wholesale deliberate ones.

Intra-GTA checkpoints are pointless - you have all the local municipalities more or less already experiencing community spread; the goal of checkpoints is to prevent spread to places that aren't experiencing that. What's needed is a cessation of high risk activities in GTA and Ottawa - and that is dine-in, gyms, large gatherings of *any* kind without or without masks. Normalcy breeds complacency and contempt for the rules (and guess what we have been doing all summer?)

Oh and yes, in case anyone believe this is going to get confined to the Millennials - 45 LTCs are already having outbreaks again.

Stupid is when someone does the same thing as before and expects a different outcome.

AoD

Last edited:

Back