News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

A French Catholic elementary school in Ottawa has closed this is the 5th school in Ottawa alone to close but hey according to our fearless leader the system is working fine.

I couldn't say.

We know what the contributing factors are:

Where you work (seems that factories/crowded work places, and restaurants are among the highest risk.)

How many you live with (more people in small place, greater risk.

Whether you 'party' much or otherwise socialize, especially without masks.

Use of crowded public transit.

To what extent these apply more/less in Little Portugal I'm not sure.
I took a gander at Peel's data. Most cases there are attributed to 'close contacts' or to 'community'. Quite few were workplace outbreaks. Brampton is really running away with case intensity, though. Mississauga isn't so bad.

It seems some wish the federal government to come riding in on its white horse to rescue Ontario from its non or appropriate response. Firstly, it is the Emergencies Act; the War Measures Act hasn't existed since 1988.

There are some determinations for the federal government to make before invoking the powers of the Emergencies Act:

- the Public Welfare Emergency has to "exceed the capacity or authority of a province to deal with it" . . . and cannot be effectively dealt with under any other law of Canada" [Sec 3]​
In this regard, is the current response beyond Ontario's authority or capacity or beyond its willingness?

- The affected provinces must be consulted [Sec 14(1)].​
It is my understanding the provinces have been polled in the past and felt imposing the Act was not warranted.

Also, I can see no authority in the Act for the federal government to restrict or regulate particular sectors of the economy or the assembly of people [Sec. 8]. That authority may exist elsewhere, such as the federal Quarantine Act - I didn't check.

With the majority of the public health reporting, expertise and staffing being at the provincial level, I can't think of a less nimble way to deal with this, which is impacting different areas in different ways, than at the federal level.

There are some determinations for the federal government to make before invoking the powers of the Emergencies Act:

- the Public Welfare Emergency has to "exceed the capacity or authority of a province to deal with it" . . . and cannot be effectively dealt with under any other law of Canada" [Sec 3]In this regard, is the current response beyond Ontario's authority or capacity or beyond its willingness?

- The affected provinces must be consulted [Sec 14(1)].It is my understanding the provinces have been polled in the past and felt imposing the Act was not warranted.

Also, I can see no authority in the Act for the federal government to restrict or regulate particular sectors of the economy or the assembly of people [Sec. 8]. That authority may exist elsewhere, such as the federal Quarantine Act - I didn't check.

With the majority of the public health reporting, expertise and staffing being at the provincial level, I can't think of a less nimble way to deal with this, which is impacting different areas in different ways, than at the federal level.

I would have to say that the Province of Ontario is exceeding it's ability to handle the pandemic. Quebec is likely not far behind.

Ford would object but that objection would not sit too well with the general population. Ford is starting to go full Trump and ignoring both scientists and doctors.

If things start going to hell and Ford pretends nothing wrong, there will be sufficient motivation for invoking the act. I can see the other provinces banding together for their own good to get tough on Ford. I cannot foresee a situation where the rest of Canada lets Ontario put the economy before Public Health when they too are having to make difficult choices.

Quebec is in worse shape than us. They have been the whole time, for whatever reason.

Quebec is in worse shape than us. They have been the whole time, for whatever reason.

Yes but they are managing it better. Ford is starting to put the economy ahead of people's health which is not ideal.

I get that people have livelihoods but I would rather the province be in novemdecillion dollars of debt paying people to stay home than risk people getting sick by keeping everything open.

Last edited:
I just bought 6 containers of 80 Lysol Wipes ..

If you're using the wipes for household use, there's a cheaper and more convenient product than lining up for hours and possibly not getting any wipes. Use a new or thoroughly cleaned and rinsed spray bottle.

• Diluted household bleach solutions can be used if appropriate for the surface. Unexpired household bleach will be effective against coronaviruses when properly diluted:
    • Never mix household bleach with ammonia or any other cleanser. This can cause fumes that may be very dangerous to breathe in.
    • Use bleach containing 5.25%–8.25% sodium hypochlorite. Do not use a bleach product if the percentage is not in this range or is not specified.
    • Be sure to prepare the solution fresh, when you are intending to use it,
    • Follow the manufacturer’s application instructions for the surface, ensuring a contact time of at least 1 minute.
    • Ensure proper ventilation during and after application.
    • Check to ensure the product is not past its expiration date.

• Prepare a bleach solution by mixing:
    • 5 mL (1 teaspoon) of bleach in 250 mL (a cup) of room temperature water to give a 0.1% sodium hypochlorite solution, or
    • for larger quantity: 20 mL (4 teaspoons) of bleach in 1 litre (4 cups) of room temperature water, or
    • 75 mL (5 tablespoons = ~1/3rd cup) of bleach per gallon of room temperature water

Last edited:
On a more irrelevant side:

Hot pot is the pandemic food?

Seriously, people sitting in close proximity to one another dipping their utensils in a communal pot is dicey during the best of times.

AoD

Also, hot pots and the dipping of their utensils in a communal pot is high risk for hepatitis transmission if anyone in your party, the restaurant server, kitchen staff, etc has hepatitis.

Nothing indicates the Federal Govt wants to go into lockdown. They ending Cerb clearly shows they want to go back to some normalcy.

I think you guys underestimate how much of the public dont want to go into lockdown. Just because you guys want it does not many everyone wants.

Public Attitudes since March are drastically different. People do not fear the virus and feel they have done enough after many months.

You guys need to understand, the 2nd lockdown goes with no real end date and into winter. Rather then lockdown 1 went into a summer.

Last edited:
Nothing indicates the Federal Govt wants to go into lockdown. They ending Cerb clearly shows they want to go back to some normalcy.

I think you guys underestimate how much of the public dont want to go into lockdown. Just because you guys want it does not many everyone wants.

Public Attitudes since March are drastically different. People do not fear the virus and feel they have done enough after many months.

You guys need to understand, the 2nd lockdown goes with no real end date and into winter. Rather then lockdown 1 went into a summer.

For years I had close ties to the House of Commons through various means where I learned one thing.

Nothing motivates a politician more than the thought of them being voted out or having to face public scrutiny.

Trudeau and the liberals are in a minority situation. If the covid situation is spiraling out of control you can bet they will start locking things down and assuming control.

It's better to do that than to do nothing and have the conservatives call for a confidence vote.

You kept on conflating need for heightened restrictions to complete lockdown, when heightened restrictions is precisely what is needed to prevent it.

AoD

Back