News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It turns out this use to be a reuse it store for Habitat for Humanity. I am guessing that he tried to shoehorn a restaurant into a warehouse and call it good.

In respect of the Adamson incident; the owner, is quoted as saying:

"The data from Toronto Public Health that came out two weeks ago shows that two of the over 10,000 Ontario COVID deaths were linked to bars, restaurants and retail. So why are we getting we getting singled out? And the big multinational corporations are all essential while they're packed?"

The first thing I would like to note is that there have not been 10,000 Covid deaths in Ontario........there have been 3,519 as at yesterday.

There have been 106,510 cases.

It really is important to get one's numbers right when making a case for or against something.

That said...........and much as I loathe his provocative tone.........

He would have some semblance of a point if he had his facts right.

I went and chased down the Board of Health Data.

It does show that restaurants are not a material source of infection; have a look.

1606256273472.png

From: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2020/hl/bgrd/backgroundfile-158458.pdf

This clearly shows the majority of cases are happening in hospitals, LTCs, Schools

Community Transmission is the Dark Blue and would be every setting not covered by other categories (ie. assorted places of employment, retail, restaurants etc.)

I do have a real concern that we're not tackling this correctly.

Last edited:
In respect of the Adamson incident; the owner, is quoted as saying:

"The data from Toronto Public Health that came out two weeks ago shows that two of the over 10,000 Ontario COVID deaths were linked to bars, restaurants and retail. So why are we getting we getting singled out? And the big multinational corporations are all essential while they're packed?"

The first thing I would like to note is that there have not been 10,000 Covid deaths in Ontario........there have been 3,519 as at yesterday.

There have been 106,510 cases.

It really is important to get one's numbers right when making a case for or against something.

That said...........and much as I loathe his provocative tone.........

He would have some semblance of a point if he had his facts right.

I went and chased down the Board of Health Data.

It does show that restaurants are not a material source of infection; have a look.

View attachment 284966
From: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2020/hl/bgrd/backgroundfile-158458.pdf

This clearly shows the majority of cases are happening in hospitals, LTCs, Schools

Community Transmission is the Dark Blue and would be every setting not covered by other categories (ie. assorted places of employment, retail, restaurants etc.)

I do have a real concern that we're not tackling this correctly.

There is change in COVID testing criteria in late September - I would not be surprised if limiting it to only symptomatic people basically preferentially biased it against capturing certain demographics; also - half the cases in Ontario have no known epi-link - I find it surprising the TPH data doesn't reflect that.

AoD

Last edited:
Since it is in Etobicoke, Doug's old city, of course he "can't get angry at any businessperson".

What a callous response. Dozens of people are on a ventilator as we speak. Does he even think of them at all? He should be angry at business people who flout the rules and endanger the entire population. But it is too much to ask from our idiot premier.

What a callous response. Dozens of people are on a ventilator as we speak. Does he even think of them at all? He should be angry at business people who flout the rules and endanger the entire population. But it is too much to ask from our idiot premier.

I am sure his heart breaks for them, and the family of the dead tells him how *great* a job he is doing, stay the course, etc. /s.

AoD

As far as I can tell from the Act, there is no authority to arrest or "drag out" anyone.

Regardless of the actual authority of bylaw enforcement personnel, I'm wondering if their internal policy or direction is to obtain approval from supervisory or management staff. I get that normal goal of regulatory enforcement is to seek voluntary compliance, but this seems awfully risk-averse given the circumstances. It's not like an 'oops, I wasn't aware'. No doubt the police have taken the position that they are there to keep the peace and happy to let Licencing and Standards take the heat.

Edit: It might be Public Health personnel and/or bylaw enforcement. I don't really know who is the lead agency.

Last edited:
Ontario's Top Doctor did Not Lead Province's Covid-19 response:

The Auditor General's Reports on the Province's handling of Covid are here: https://www.auditor.on.ca/en/content/specialreports/specialreports.html

From the above reports, by way of John Michael McGrath's Twitter: "Ontario's clear and streamlined Covid-19 response team"

1606318585611.png

University Hospital in London, ON has a Covid outbreak on every floor. No new admissions to hospital until they get it under control.

I think if I could name one failure of our pandemic response to rectify for the future it is that decentralized command doesn't work on this issue. It just doesn't work. There should be a clear structural chain of command lead by the Federal government but with open back-fed communication back up from the local and provincial level back to the centralized command.

A pandemic demands a war-time, military-style chain of command with people who can think outside the box and command resources outside the "usual" way of conducting business. You don't say we can do so-and-so, you identify what needs to be done and get it done regardless of the organizational barriers.

It's a comically absurd, perhaps Kafka-esque situation. It would be like China invading Canada and our leaders downloading responsibility for defense to municipal governments. "we'll reimburse you 500 million for local defense once legislation passes after the next election". Ports and airports are under Federal jurisdiction, hospitals and power plants are under provincial jurisdiction so each level of government will defend their respective infrastructure as per the constitution. We will hire 1000 new soldiers at our next meeting in June. We secured promises for 50 new fighter jets to be delivered; however, because we have no indigenous manufacturing they will be delivered once other countries have satisfied their defense needs. Most of all we will concern ourselves primarily with the fairness of the system, no Canadian will be left feeling short-changed as the bombs rain down.

I think if I could name one failure of our pandemic response to rectify for the future it is that decentralized command doesn't work on this issue. It just doesn't work. There should be a clear structural chain of command lead by the Federal government but with open back-fed communication back up from the local and provincial level back to the centralized command.

A pandemic demands a war-time, military-style chain of command with people who can think outside the box and command resources outside the "usual" way of conducting business. You don't say we can do so-and-so, you identify what needs to be done and get it done regardless of the organizational barriers.

It's a comically absurd, perhaps Kafka-esque situation. It would be like China invading Canada and our leaders downloading responsibility for defense to municipal governments. "we'll reimburse you 500 million for local defense once legislation passes after the next election". Ports and airports are under Federal jurisdiction, hospitals and power plants are under provincial jurisdiction so each level of government will defend their respective infrastructure as per the constitution. We will hire 1000 new soldiers at our next meeting in June. We secured promises for 50 new fighter jets to be delivered; however, because we have no indigenous manufacturing they will be delivered once other countries have satisfied their defense needs. Most of all we will concern ourselves primarily with the fairness of the system, no Canadian will be left feeling short-changed as the bombs rain down.

Ontario has that power within its' own jurisdictions - it couldn't even bother to do it. That's not a failure of organization - that's a failure of the political leadership.

AoD

Ontario has that power within its' own jurisdictions - it couldn't even bother to do it. That's not a failure of organization - that's a failure of the political leadership.

AoD

I would gladly appreciate the Prime Minister invoking the Emergencies Act if it means this Gong Show is brought under control.

Back