News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I’ve seen some talking heads discuss the legality of demanding proof of vaccination. The lawyers are going to be busy.

What's frustrating is all the privileged people in wealthy countries moaning about vaccine delays.

The world's poor wish they had your problems.

It's actually pathetic. We're right up near the top of the heap in terms of countries with access to vaccines and 14th of ~200 in terms of people already vaccinated. We have orders guaranteeing us numbers of vaccines multiples higher than we need for our entire population.
Meanwhile poor countries don't know when they'll get any vaccines, never mind having the entire willing population vaccinated by September.

And you people are crying about a delay caused by a factory retooling that is necessary to add capacity?

Please tell me I'm dreaming because I can't fathom such spoilt selfishness.

My issue isn’t the factory delay, it’s our provincial government response, misinformation and general incompetence

That doesn’t mean I can’t also be concerned about countries with little to no access.

You'll see that here in Canada. Read the comments on social media. At my work my boss already said, eventually he will ask for proof of Covid vaccination when job openings come available. No Covid vaccine = no job interview.

Without special enabling legislation your boss would almost certainly be doing something illegal if he did that.

You'll see that here in Canada. Read the comments on social media. At my work my boss already said, eventually he will ask for proof of Covid vaccination when job openings come available. No Covid vaccine = no job interview.
My employer has clearly stated that they will not have any requirement that employees be vaccinated.

Indeed. Though that doesn't stop incentives if you choose to get it.

It may well; if one established that the purpose of the incentive was to obtain health information about the person (which seems obvious); and then that information is used to influence hiring (or scheduling etc.); which would be the obvious purpose.

We'd have to see what the courts have to say, but my instinct is that's on very shaky ground.

After all the failure of the employee to claim the incentive would be presumed health information (they didn't get the vaccine); then that info would then inform the basis of discriminatory hiring or scheduling.

Without special enabling legislation your boss would almost certainly be doing something illegal if he did that.

There will be legislation on this. Employers don't want high risk people. Not much different than passing a physical. You can be the most qualified person on earth, but if you don't pass the medical exam, you won't get the job.

There will be legislation on this. Employers don't want high risk people. Not much different than passing a physical. You can be the most qualified person on earth, but if you don't pass the medical exam, you wont get the job.

Possibly; but I doubt it.

We shall see.

There are a plethora of conditions one can have now that employers are not permitted to require tests for; which are contagious and serious.

There are a plethora of conditions one can have now that employers are not permitted to require tests for; which are contagious and serious.

Yeah, like when did respiratory virus vaccination become an important condition of employment?

Can't recall the flu vaccine being forced on medical professionals, for example.

As a piss-take I think I'm going to tell my guys at work that they're required to be vaccinated and can't come back to work until they are. Which they probably won't even be eligible for til like July. Enjoy pogey, lads! 😅

Maybe not though....seems like a good way to lose perfectly good employees for the stupidest of reasons.

That and other things.

Yeah, I agree....the entire response has been botched. From the refusal to prohibit international travel a year ago because "racism" to overreacting and ruining small business and the future of children instead of protecting the vulnerable....which, by the way, is on some of the local health authorities who have not used their powers of censure to help control the outbreaks in homes in addition to government failure. It's not just the government at fault, it's the bureaucrats as well.

Speaking of which....the failure of the pandemic early warning system at PHAC is entirely on the shoulders of the professional "managers" running the agency, most of whom are entirely ignorant of medical science.

It's fine to denigrate the flailings and failings of thug Doug but how far back do we really need to go to see where things should have been done differently?

Personally I'd blame the virtue signalling federal government and the absolute tragedy of managerial dismantlement of the pandemic early warning system and the lack of resources for the care of the elderly.

The vaccine isn't even an issue. In early December everyone was crying about how we looked like we weren't doing anything to get any. Then all of a sudden we were amongst the first nations to be vaccinating people and now have more on order than we'll ever need and will all be vaccinated by September whilst large portions of the world won't see a lick til two years from now. Complaining about the vaccine rollout is extremely first world problems and a very bad look.

Possibly; but I doubt it.

We shall see.

Unfortunately employers can have biases and discriminate whether we like it or not... All they have to say is ”I picked the best candidate for the job” and get away with it.

We finally have some payoff of Canadian vaccine work.

Toronto-based Providence Therapeutics said three shots will be given to 60 adult volunteers at a clinical trial site in Toronto in the first phase of the trial on Tuesday.
Fifteen of those volunteers will receive a placebo, and 45 will get the vaccine, called PTX-COVID19-B.
Providence's product is an mRNA vaccine and is similar to the Moderna coronavirus shot being given to people across Canada.

Last edited:

Back