News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

So which one of the Maple Leafs paid off Doug so they could go out and party? I mean, I suppose it could be one of the Senators, but... it's Ottawa... where would they even go that wasn't already closed after their games?

Ontario permits indoor dining for NHL teams while province under stay-at-home order​

The league will submit a plan for approval to the Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health that will specify a full list of Ontario businesses and places that will be used by the NHL.
Along with certain restaurants, the list will include selected bars and facilities for recreational fitness.

So which one of the Maple Leafs paid off Doug so they could go out and party? I mean, I suppose it could be one of the Senators, but... it's Ottawa... where would they even go that wasn't already closed after their games?

Ontario permits indoor dining for NHL teams while province under stay-at-home order​

Why do they need to dine out, exactly? Their mouths won't work in other non-restaurant settings?

AoD

Why do they need to dine out, exactly? Their mouths won't work in other non-restaurant settings?

AoD
The only plausible scenario I can think of, and this is still a stretch, is that it's to accommodate out of province teams traveling here that want to eat on their way out after a game. The restaurants/bars listed in that case will all be places out by the airport that can be booked in advance to feed 30-35 people several thousand calories of food each at 11:00 pm at night (after most restaurants have closed the kitchen and gone to a bar menu) before they board their charter flight back to Alberta or wherever from Pearson at midnight. That's a sort of understandable convenience for them if it's all well planned in advance and not all ad-hoc.

But, it doesn't sound like that is the intent here. It sounds like a much more general allowance to them to go out on demand.

Last edited:
That's a pretty dumb fine. Give them a warning and tell them to go home. They stopped at an empty parking lot and wasn't getting out anywhere. IMHO better than the people walking about and talking with no mask on that brush up beside you on our narrow sidewalks.

Shocking! people still play Pokemon GO?

'My mind was blown': Ontario couple fined $880 for Pokémon GO outing amid stay-at-home order​

Ontario Provincial Police urge 'everyone to voluntarily comply with the rules'

That's a pretty dumb fine. Give them a warning and tell them to go home. They stopped at an empty parking lot and wasn't getting out anywhere. IMHO better than the people walking about and talking with no mask on that brush up beside you on our narrow sidewalks.

I hope they fight it.

I hope they win.

All of us who take photos here at UT could be nabbed on the same principle.

I could legitimately say I'm out getting exercise at the same time (true, I just happened to take my camera).

The point of these rules and orders is to restrict behavior which causes a public danger (spread of Covid).

That was clearly not the case here; and the busy body officer should go find another line of work, one with considerably less power, and less ability to abuse same.

I hope they fight it.

I hope they win.

All of us who take photos here at UT could be nabbed on the same principle.

I could legitimately say I'm out getting exercise at the same time (true, I just happened to take my camera).

The point of these rules and orders is to restrict behavior which causes a public danger (spread of Covid).

That was clearly not the case here; and the busy body officer should go find another line of work, one with considerably less power, and less ability to abuse same.
First, they came for the Pokémon Go players, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Pokémon Go player.

Then they came for the UrbanToronto condo construction photographers, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not an UrbanToronto condo construction photographer.

Then they came for me—
and there was no one left to speak for me.

Shocking! people still play Pokemon GO?

'My mind was blown': Ontario couple fined $880 for Pokémon GO outing amid stay-at-home order​

Ontario Provincial Police urge 'everyone to voluntarily comply with the rules'

In the various Pokémon games, the player bikes, not drive.

The proper way to play Pokémon Go is to bike.

Biking is considered a permissible form of exercise.

Driving to Pokémon gyms is prohibited during lockdown.

Pokémon Go generated over a billion dollars in the first ten months of 2020 alone:

It's hard to believe. To be fair, Pokémon Go has many paid events that require real money (and cannot be purchased using in-game premium currency). Over 90% of revenue is from under 10% of the playerbase.

Then they came for me—
and there was no one left to speak for me.

Don't worry....they'd have to get to me first. I'll always pipe up to talk shit on behalf of the oppressed. As sure as the sun rises in the east....

I didn't know there was a 'proper' way to play this silly game. The charge does strike me as lame, and sometimes a copper and a ticket book are a bad combination, but we don't know all the facts. That part of the province has a bit of a history of rouge church gatherings and fact that they were in a church parking lot may have played into it. Or the guy beaked off. We don't know.

Or the guy beaked off. We don't know.
Yeah, a lot of interactions with police that go sideways are because the person being questioned or detained starts lipping like they're something special.

That's how I got my ass kicked in by Toronto's finest. :D

@brianlilley
Announcement to come later this week, @fordnation government and education minister
@Sflecce will delay March break based on advice from public health officials over COVID-19 and the UK variant.
Delaying it with a hope to be sometime after the federal government lifts those pesky foreign travel restrictions, I think.

I did see somewhere that those pesky foreign travel restrictions are expected to be in place until the end of April, which makes sense if their purpose is to deter people from travelling to sun destinations.

Not leaving your house offers even more protection against COVID-19.

In other news, not leaving your house affords protection against getting hit by a car, random stabbing, robbery, lightning, and living a life worth the name.

Be safe!

Back