News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Ontario is reopening schools MONDAY all schools by Feb 16 😧

Interesting data re ages of those who have contracted COVID. Quite a significant portion are those under 20 despite school not having been in person for much of 2020. Let's take a look at it once schools are back in full swing in 2021.
Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 2.43.20 PM.jpg

We have been hearing claims about increased suicide rates because of COVID. Apparently not. It also seems that Ontario is notoriously slow to report these numbers. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ZNrZq9oQvwBdwjVHAzR5H7jtI/edit#gid=1418861357

That's tricky to know the real stats, a lot of opioid-related drug overdoses aren’t classified as suicides. My cousin ended her life with drugs, but her death was ruled an overdose. Even though she left Facebook messages to people saying goodbye.
Another ex co-worker of mine a few years back, took the keys to the restaurant that he had on his key ring for 3 years, and left them on the owners desk with a nice thank you note. Went home popped a bunch of pills and died in his sleep. Again his death was ruled drug overdose.

How many of these deaths are intentional? We will never know.

My cousin ended her life with drugs, but her death was ruled an overdose.
I'm sorry to hear about your cousin's death.

How many of these deaths are intentional? We will never know.
It can be hard to tell. Some people who are suicidal may only be trying to cope with their depression at the time of overdose and not actually trying to kill themselves then and there.

That being said, I fully agree with you, especially where opioid overdoses are concerned. Suicidal behaviour isn't just pulling the trigger, so to speak. How many hospital visits due to alcohol use are actually symptoms of suicidal behaviour, for example?
Just last week, Toronto had a record day for overdose calls to emergency services. Overdoses are up. Can some of them be attributed to suicidal behaviour? Absolutely.
I've been suicidal for 20 years and I don't mind telling ya that that has mostly manifested as self-destructive behaviour and not as concerted efforts at offing myself.
I would take any such stats with a half kilo of salt.

I can guarantee to you that almost nobody is trying to kill themselves with stimulants. Unlike opioids where overdose feels nice as you nod off; and unlike benzos or alcohol where overdose can also just manifest as a good time before losing conciousness; stimulant overdose is a terrible dysphoric experience before the cardiac arrest/organ failure/stroke/whatever ends up killing you.

That being said, it's very interesting that stimulant overdose is becoming more of an issue. Jives with what my sources in SW Ontario are telling me about the small town scene there having gone back to the early-to-mid-2000s meth epidemic.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your cousin's death.

It can be hard to tell. Some people who are suicidal may only be trying to cope with their depression at the time of overdose and not actually trying to kill themselves then and there.

That being said, I fully agree with you, especially where opioid overdoses are concerned. Suicidal behaviour isn't just pulling the trigger, so to speak. How many hospital visits due to alcohol use are actually symptoms of suicidal behaviour, for example?
Just last week, Toronto had a record day for overdose calls to emergency services. Overdoses are up. Can some of them be attributed to suicidal behaviour? Absolutely.
I've been suicidal for 20 years and I don't mind telling ya that that has mostly manifested as self-destructive behaviour and not as concerted efforts at offing myself.
I would take any such stats with a half kilo of salt.

I can guarantee to you that almost nobody is trying to kill themselves with stimulants. Unlike opioids where overdose feels nice as you nod off; and unlike benzos or alcohol where overdose can also just manifest as a good time before losing conciousness; stimulant overdose is a terrible dysphoric experience before the cardiac arrest/organ failure/stroke/whatever ends up killing you.

That being said, it's very interesting that stimulant overdose is becoming more of an issue. Jives with what my sources in SW Ontario are telling me about the small town scene there having gone back to the early-to-mid-2000s meth epidemic.

Thank you, losing someone to suicide/addiction is one of the hardest things anyone must go through and i do not wish it upon anyone.

People are going be scarred for years because of this pandemic. We will be dealing with a global mental health crisis for years to come.

From the Star:

“I will NOT be paying to eat stale bagels and an apple in a hotel that I would not ever have been able to afford to stay in,” one member wrote.

“I have already sent off my scorching response to the PM of Canada. I find it so typical that the Canadian government so flagrantly wants to trample my constitutional rights,” wrote another.
---
The Ellingsons say that had they known these rules were coming prior to leaving for Arizona in November they likely would not have made the trip.

Boo hoo. They left in November - when the pandemic is in full swing again and during a period of time when travel outside the country is strongly discouraged.

If only there is a good way to strip them of their medical coverage - constitutionally or otherwise as well. Bunch of annoyingly entitled leeches.

AoD

Last edited:
From the Star:

Boo hoo. They left in November - when the pandemic is in full swing again and during a period of time when travel outside the country is strongly discouraged.

If only there is a good way to strip them of their medical coverage - constitutionally or otherwise as well. Bunch of annoyingly entitled leeches.

AoD
Yup. I read the article then looked around the house and was unable to find a morsel of sympathy. As well, the 'financial hardship' angle is a bit rich.

Yup. I read the article then looked around the house and was unable to find a morsel of sympathy. As well, the 'financial hardship' angle is a bit rich.

Yeah, no kidding - there are those who are laid off, at risk of losing their homes; those are sick with COVID. etc and still had to work because they have no sick days - that's hardship. Not being able to come back from a nice extended sun vacation (at the height of the pandemic at that!) without going through a 3 day mandatory hotel quarantine ("stale bagels") ain't it.

AoD

Back