9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Ontario reports fewer than 1,000 new COVID-19 cases, cites data issue

But with an asterisk(*), as usual.

From link.

Ontario health officials logged 945 new COVID-19 cases and 18 more deaths related to the disease, but say the numbers are “underestimated” due to further data migration at Toronto Public Health.
According to the province, there were only 112 cases of COVID-19 reported in Toronto on Thursday. Officials have not said how many more cases should have been included in today's total.

Officials also said there were also 258 COVID-19 cases in Peel Region and 116 in York Region.

Ottawa was the only other region in the province reporting more than new 50 cases of the novel coronavirus, with 63 new infections.

The seven-day rolling average of daily reported COVID-19 cases in Ontario is now 1,264.

The new cases number has been on a steady decline. It would be nice if it were more consistently accurate........

But we do have some harder measures that show the positive trendline.

Hospitalizations and ICU usage are way down.

Though both have a considerable room to drop further.

From John Michael McGrath's Twitter:

1613061130042.png

It's possible, unlike last spring, we do have new Covid variants to deal with. Cases are dropping, i worry people will let their guard down.

On Tuesday my neighbor down the street, a young good looking south Asian dude, was taken away by the paramedics, who were dressed like astronauts. My boyfriend and I, were rubbernecking out the window, thinking.. it can't be Covid, he's too young and him and his wife never leave the house, they work from home. His wife talked to us yesterday when she was walking the dog, it was Covid, he will be getting out of the hospital on the weekend. She figures he got the virus from a store a few weeks ago, it went through his mask, or when he was walking the dog, he walks his dog without a mask, he could have passed someone who was positive.

That was a wake up call for me, i was stupid last week, i went out to grocery stores, dollar stores, got take out, when i really didn't need any of that crap. I'm definitely going to wear a mask when i go for my evening walks now.

It's possible, unlike last spring, we do have new Covid variants to deal with. Cases are dropping, i worry people will let their guard down.

On Tuesday my neighbor down the street, a young good looking south Asian dude, was taken away by the paramedics, who were dressed like astronauts. My boyfriend and I, were rubbernecking out the window, thinking.. it can't be Covid, he's too young and him and his wife never leave the house, they work from home. His wife talked to us yesterday when she was walking the dog, it was Covid, he will be getting out of the hospital on the weekend. She figures he got the virus from a store a few weeks ago, it went through his mask, or when he was walking the dog, he walks his dog without a mask, he could have passed someone who was positive.

That was a wake up call for me, i was stupid last week, i went out to grocery stores, dollar stores, got take out, when i really didn't need any of that crap. I'm definitely going to wear a mask when i go for my evening walks now.

Perhaps this person has some sort of issue making wearing a mask all the time outside difficult, but I don't understand why people aren't wearing masks outside - whether it's taking a stroll, walking the dog, or whatever it may be. With the new variants out there being much more transmissible, it's just prudent to be more careful.

Is it Toronto Public Health that's having data issues? Or is it a problem from the provincial side?
Unsure. Today it is apparently related to Toronto numbers, as it was last week. Toronto just migrated over to the same reporting system as everyone else. But even before that there were numerous data issues reported. Coincidentally, as Richard points out, they do seem to occur on days when it's more convenient to have lower numbers (return to school, relaxing of restrictions, etc.)

Paramedics, to my understanding, are fully suiting up in PPE for every single call.

Perhaps this person has some sort of issue making wearing a mask all the time outside difficult, but I don't understand why people aren't wearing masks outside - whether it's taking a stroll, walking the dog, or whatever it may be. With the new variants out there being much more transmissible, it's just prudent to be more careful.
If you can remain 2+ metres away from people, there is really no need for a mask. When I’m walking through the park in Scarborough, I pass by a handful of people and stay 2-4 metres away all the time. I don’t wear a mask, though a fair amount of people in the park do. However in a dense urban environment, it’s probably a good idea to wear a mask outside. I would wear one outside if I’m in the City.

I’ve also started wearing a surgical mask under my fabric mask when I take transit or go into the office. Some doctors have recommended that.

Paramedics, to my understanding, are fully suiting up in PPE for every single call.

Yeah that's what they looked like. I have the utmost respect for what they do! And also the other health care workers, doctors, nurses, hospital staff...all of them. I couldn’t imagine doing their jobs.

If you can remain 2+ metres away from people, there is really no need for a mask. When I’m walking through the park in Scarborough, I pass by a handful of people and stay 2-4 metres away all the time. I don’t wear a mask, though a fair amount of people in the park do. However in a dense urban environment, it’s probably a good idea to wear a mask outside. I would wear one outside if I’m in the City.

I’ve also started wearing a surgical mask under my fabric mask when I take transit or go into the office. Some doctors have recommended that.

I find during the winter even out here in the burbs, it's difficult to give 2+meters to other pedestrians because of the snowbanks and ice.

I am fortunate to be able to go for walks in low density areas. I see the same people most days (and dogs!); we wave and nod from a distance, but there is plenty of space to give 2 metres and more pretty much everywhere. Today a "newbie" passed by me, giving me about a 15 metre berth all while holding her mask to her face. I get it, but it did seem like a bit of overkill or something out of a bad sci-fi movie (which is pretty much how I have felt life has been like since last March). I definitely see more people wearing masks outdoors when I'm out and about, particularly when people are walking in pairs or small groups.

Back