News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Sadly, this, as well as the announcement that pharmacies may start administering Pfizer means we might se a slowdown in the uptake of vaccines until then as vaccine shopping starts again. Those not rushing to get AZ right now may decide to wait a little longer.

I think our AZ will be exhausted soon in any case (and what comes in will be the minority of our vaccine shipment the next few months, even if Biden give a good amount to us - but India is probably the new priority) - won't make a huge material difference at this point.

AoD

I think our AZ will be exhausted soon in any case (and what comes in will be the minority of our vaccine shipment the next few months, even if Biden give a good amount to us - but India is probably the new priority) - won't make a huge material difference at this point.

AoD

Not to mention the fact that Moderna is also not reliable. Pfizer will probably be the only available choice with the others kept for those needing second doses.

I think our AZ will be exhausted soon in any case (and what comes in will be the minority of our vaccine shipment the next few months) - won't make a huge material difference at this point.

Perhaps. Though we’ll likely get some of the US AZ batches, and I’m willing to bet we’ll get some of what’s not getting used in Europe.

Perhaps. Though we’ll likely get some of the US AZ batches, and I’m willing to bet we’ll get some of what’s not getting used in Europe.

Yeah, but AZ requires a second dose as well, which will tie up what we are going to get - and India is going to be a giant humanitarian sink for vaccines for the next little while. Our own "private little disaster" pales in comparison to the wholesale catastrophe over there.

And in case anyone thinks that doesn't affect us - think again - more infections = more mutations. Roll the dice enough times and you will win eventually.

AoD

Last edited:
Yeah, but AZ requires a second dose as well, which will tie up what we are going to get - and India is going to be a giant humanitarian sink for vaccines for the next little while. Our own "private little disaster" pales in comparison to the wholesale catastrophe over there.

And in case anyone thinks that doesn't affect us - think again - more infections = more mutations. Roll the dice enough times and you will win eventually.

AoD
Throw on top of that how in the US people aren't getting a second dose of any vaccine, and by the year-end we could have a fourth wave sweep over North America, and another year of lockdowns.

So far it's only about 8% of people who haven't been getting a second dose in the US (also some of those people could just end up getting it late, it's just that they missed the appointment they had scheduled). Now if that gets way worse I'd be concerned, but 92% of people actually going for the second dose seems pretty good (and hopefully some of that 8% can be convinced to get their second dose anyway). I'd say the bigger concern with regard to the US is that only 61% of people were enthusiastic about getting the vaccine. Which means they have a lot of convincing to do to reach herd immunity.

So far it's only about 8% of people who haven't been getting a second dose in the US (also some of those people could just end up getting it late, it's just that they missed the appointment they had scheduled). Now if that gets way worse I'd be concerned, but 92% of people actually going for the second dose seems pretty good (and hopefully some of that 8% can be convinced to get their second dose anyway). I'd say the bigger concern with regard to the US is that only 61% of people were enthusiastic about getting the vaccine. Which means they have a lot of convincing to do to reach herd immunity.

I think you can count 25-30% of the US population as vaccine refuseniks.

AoD

I don't think anyone thinks that. Thankfully none of the mutations are leading to vaccine resistance. From what I've read on RNMA vaccines they don't care what virus it is, anything with crowns is targeted.

It doesn't really - the federal system is retroactive. Sick leave isn't a direct payment from the government to someone - it is a benefit that businesses have to provide. How (and if) you reimburse business is a provincial issue.

AoD

The other side of it is paid sick days, as in no pay docked for being off sick, are an employment benefit; you have a job to back to. The federal benefits are income replacement, period. Nothing to do with employment law.

Throw on top of that how in the US people aren't getting a second dose of any vaccine, and by the year-end we could have a fourth wave sweep over North America, and another year of lockdowns.
I suspect a large population of partially vaccinated people getting infected in a fourth wave will be a perfect breeding ground for vaccine resistant strains, given 1 dose of vaccine only reduces your risk of infection by 65%. If we start opening up, those people are very likely to get infected.

AoD

The world needs to act now - today - to help them with vital supplies like oxygen. Hospitals are running out of oxygen, people are laying in hospital beds knowing when the oxygen tank is empty, they will die and will be burned in the street in a makeshift crematorium. i do not have words to describe how horrific this situation is.

Isn't there a product that will extract more oxygen directly out of the air, without having a storage cylinder?

Isn't there a product that will extract more oxygen directly out of the air, without having a storage cylinder?
Oxygen is extracted from the air by cryogenic distillation. You chill air until the 20% that is oxygen condenses to liquid, allowing it to be isolated. This is something that needs to be done on an industrial scale.

Back