News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Booked my vaccine appointment for Monday.
Fair warning, not to dissuade, but only to help you prepare:

The "side effects" (ie; your body's immune reaction) can be pretty damn strong. You've more than double the chance of getting them on your first shot with AstraZeneca (33.7%) vs Pfizer (13.5%). I suspect Moderna is on par with Pfizer. We got our shots at 11:15am on Monday.

I woke up at 1am Tuesday with chills so bad I could barely stop shaking. I had to get fully dressed before crawling back into bed. Fatigue, joint aches and a temperature (unmeasured) had already set in then as well. I had quite a hard time sleeping.

By morning, the chills were gone, but I still had a temperature (<37.5°C) that lasted until noon. Most of the fatigue and aching was gone by 3pm, but a little bit lingered. All told, I was back to 98% by Wednesday morning. My shoulder still feels like I fell off a horse (memories of my youth).

My wife’s reaction was more delayed. It wasn’t until first thing yesterday that headache, fatigue and temperature kicked in. But hers were subtler and more manageable. She was able to work through it all and it was almost entirely gone by the end of yesterday.

Take ibuprofen and acetaminophen in concert (if you can); it’ll definitely take the edge off.

You may or may not get these side effects—most apparently, don’t—according to the study results linked to above.

Just remember a strong reaction is a good thing. It means a healthy immune system that’s reacting strong and fast. The sense of relief they comes with vaccination helped tamp some of that down for me.

Also; sign up for this;

It’s a study of Covid vaccine reactions. They take a report 8 days after your first and second vaccination, as well as a midpoint and at 6 months.

Last edited:
Yeah, I got my AZ shot on Tuesday morning and I still feel kind of crappy 48 hours later. On and off, I've had a mild fever and body aches and so, so tired.

New Study out in The Lancet indicates that countries populations were better off from both a public health perspective and a civil liberty perspective if their strategy was Covid elimination rather than mitigation.

It notes that civil liberty restrictions, on balance, were harsher/longer in countries opting for mitigation vs those opting for elimination.

Link:

New Study out in The Lancet indicates that countries populations were better off from both a public health perspective and a civil liberty perspective if their strategy was Covid elimination rather than mitigation.

It notes that civil liberty restrictions, on balance, were harsher/longer in countries opting for mitigation vs those opting for elimination.

Link:

I have a feeling there are even a number of hugs-over-maskers who have softened a bit on the idea of a two-month hard lockdown over 13 months of whatever the hell we've had.

I have a feeling there are even a number of hugs-over-maskers who have softened a bit on the idea of a two-month hard lockdown over 13 months of whatever the hell we've had.

Of course, a few of these high performers had no lockdown at all.

The issue there was an all-hands on deck approach at the very beginning.

The hard lockdown comes into play once things are beyond contact/trace management.

We were slow; and we were wholly inadequate in our response at each stage.

The hard lockdown comes into play once things are beyond contact/trace management.

Here's hoping the data, and best response, aren't lost to politics and bureaucracy. Another potential pandemic is likely to happen within our lifetimes, but it needn't be like this s#itshow.

Here's hoping the data, and best response, aren't lost to politics and bureaucracy. Another potential pandemic is likely to happen within our lifetimes, but it needn't be like this s#itshow.

We already had SARS and didn't seem to learn much, if anything from it.

Except we don't seem to understand that we're slow, we're wholly inadequate - and yet acted as if we aren't. Good old Sun Tzu - "If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle."

Not only did we not know ourselves - we chose to fight using a strategy (mitigation) that suggested we don't know the enemy either while exposing our own weaknesses. And to do it again after the first wave is insanity, yet here we are, in the third wave.

AoD

Last edited:
I thought we already had our third time (like the current wave). We didn't even learn our lessons from the first wave. That suggests people is the problem - and they should be removed.

AoD
I can name at least one person who needs to be removed. ;)

Not only did we not know ourselves - we chose to fight using a strategy (mitigation) that suggested we don't know the enemy either while exposing our own weaknesses. And to do it again after the first wave is insanity, yet here we are, in the third wave.
Well, looking at places like India and Brazil, I don't fault Canada or Ontario too badly. Did many nations besides isolated islands like ANZ, Japan, Singapore, etc. fare better? South Korea is a good example of best practices paying off.

Well, looking at places like India and Brazil, I don't fault Canada or Ontario too badly. Did many nations besides isolated islands like ANZ, Japan, Singapore, etc. fare better? South Korea is a good example of best practices paying off.

It is easy to comfort ourselves of our own mediocrity looking at the worst cases - rather Canadian at that. "Look. we aren't a failed state!"

AoD

Even as more Canadians get their first doses of vaccine, Tam cautioned against lifting those measures too quickly, pointing to the example of Britain, where health authorities have only now started gradually easing restrictions—at a point where more than 60 per cent of adults have received a first dose.

Pretty sure that's where Ford's mind was at: "we have vaccines going out to members of the general public now, we can just start reopening."

Doug Ford, the only man capable of repeatedly stepping on his own testicles.

Back